HybridZ

3" Exhaust... for NA modified engine. Muffler options?

inline6

"Since the car is mainly a track toy at this point, I can take it being loud, but not so loud that I can't drive it without my ears bleeding when I am keeping my foot out of the throttle. I've already got some hearing loss, most certainly from a Datsun 510 that I had a 2.5 inch system on it years ago... I used to drive 1.5 hours each way every weekend to see my girlfriend. Anyway, I plan to drive this car to and from the track and on the road every now and then. Has anyone here run just a single Borla XR-1 like this:"

What I got from this was that this car was very similar to what I use to do.  A track car is very different.  My choice of muffler would be perfect for this situation.  If you don't believe the claims of Supertrapp, do what I suggested and take the end cap off at the track.  Even if the muffler loses power with the discs, I do not think a seat of your pants test would tell a difference.

You did not insult me, if I cared about your opinoion....maybe it would be hurtful.  Now that is not a crack on you, I would never build my car to make someone else happy.  I said show me a video of a better muffler(as long as it is s/s) and then I will happily change(when the time comes).

Since Inline has already pick a muffler and moved on, lets just say we agree to disagree.

Thanks to the genius of the interweb, we have turned a 2 min. conversations into hrs. of wasted time.  This might have been fun to do at a event somewhere, but this way is a stupid.

B&G

• 2 months later...

So I began work on my 3" exhaust on a bone stock N/A 280Z. Why? Because i have a L28ET laying around, but for now I I'm maxing out the car for stock class at autocross, so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone by building a turbo-ready exhaust.

Anyways, I ordered everything from summit except for the straight pipes (straight pipes doubled the shipping cost) for about $200. This includes 2 U bends, a 45 degree bend, some generic 22" long glasspack (3" straight through), Dynomax Superturbo muffler, Vibrant stainless flex pipe, and 3 Walker band clamps. 

The plan is to splice a 3" downpipe onto the stock collecter, then run the glasspack right off the the downpipe and the superturbo at the back. Still not sure what I'm going to do for tips, but I was thinking of stacking 2 small "boom tubes" for a twice pipes look. As well, the muffler will be clamped on so I can swap it out for a down turned pipe for racing.

I only have a few hours into it so far, in which time I grafted the 3" 45 bend onto the stock merge collector. My plan of attack was to trim down the collector and ovalize the 3" pip and slip it over collector as far as it goes, trace where the overlap is, cut the bottom off the collector and lap weld them together. Unfortunately I screwed up right off the bat and squished the 3" pipe inline with the bend before realzing the bend should be about 20 degrees off from the collector to pass between the trans a TC rod box. After hours hammering, cutting, grinding and fitting, I finally ended up with the beginnings of a well fitting 3" downpipe.

I only have 1.5 weekends to finish this up, so stay tuned for some pics.