HybridZ

Jim's 1972 240z LS1

Well 10 hours later and Im DONE with the harness wiring. All thats left is to hook up the constant power on my battrie. I used two relays to control my ignition wires.(one for guages and one for pcm) I fed them directly off the battery. I used the a/c wire as the signal, as I wont have a/c for now. Its nice cuz its ign. on and fused already. I did have to re-rout a few wires but it wasent all that bad. About 15 feet of plastic insulation and 400 zip ties later I got all the wires tucked up on the passenger fire wall. Its not the best looking but it works. I will play with it more down the raod but Im not worried about it at the moment. As long as its safe and not gonna short or rub out. I also mounted the OBD-2 port and the fuse box on the right side. I just need to hook up my oil guage. Im using a manual guage so im going to run a copper line under the dash. All thats left is to setup my fan relays and thats about it. I hope to get the radiator and fans sometime this week so I can get that done and move right on to my headers when they arrive next week. After that its fluids, safty check, prime and hopefully Ill be able to fire it up!! The time is getting close.

Heres a pick of the harness,fuse box and OBD-2 port, with the check engine light.

post-27908-070949600 1351584856_thumb.jpg

Later on I will delete some of the wires and move it up to the right so the people sitting in the passenger seat dont kick the crap out of it. It dosent hit your feet unless you have 13's like me lol.

Edited by 240z7273

Keith: Ya I just kept at it and it went smooth. Alot of it is shirinked wrapped too. I think it was the way the harness was reworked that made it so easy.

Headded out today to tidy up some stuff. Got a call from Jet-Hot. my headders are done! That was fast! Will get some pics when they arrive!

The coating ran me 295 shipped to my door. Thats backed by a lifetime warrenty. For the first year if you need to make a repair (weld a crack ect) they will pay to ship them back and coat them for free. After the one year they will coat them for free as long as you ship the item to them. In your case that your headers are alreay coated they will chage a fee to strip the coating. I feel their coating is one of the best you can buy. They prep and clean the headers and coat the inside and out.

Just thought Id show you all my fan setup and how I assembled it. Keith (RebekahsZ) is using this same setup. He also gave me some pointers on assembly. (Thanks buddy!!) So here it is:

Champion 3 core all tig welded aluminum radiator. No plastic tanks! Its also a direct fit into the S30.

post-27908-071778200 1351671348_thumb.jpg

Heres the polished aluminum shroud and the twin 12" fans. I already drilled hole for the fans. Also there is protective wrapping on the shroud.

post-27908-035970100 1351671426_thumb.jpg

First you need to assemble the brackets that hold the fan to the shroud. these are the brackets.

post-27908-056058100 1351671700_thumb.jpg

Then insert them into the fan in the littel slots.

post-27908-085344000 1351671732_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Take a week off work after that mission. Next just lay the fans on the shroud. Dont remove the protective lining yet.

Once you do the line up the fans the best you can for max flow.

Mark the holes and try not to move the fans at all.

Then center punch and drill out your holes. I chose to use bolts to mount the fans as Keith reccomended. So i drilled for 5/16 inch bolts.

post-27908-057727800 1351672104_thumb.jpg

Now its time to be careful. Remove the protective liner. Lay down the fans and put the bolts in from the back. As to make enough clearance.

post-27908-062546700 1351674155_thumb.jpg

Next bolt the shroud to the radiator. Once you do that your done with assembly!

post-27908-037836200 1351675085_thumb.jpg

Thats all I managed today haha. Tomorrow I plan on installing the radiator and finising up some wiring. More to come!

Edited by 240z7273

I ran into trouble with clearance between the passenger side fan and the lower radiator hose tube such that I couldn't get a hose on. If you have the same problem, order a piece of aluminum tubing from speedway motors and have it welded on. I had a steam vent fitting put in the top tank while I was at it.

Sunny: Thanks! OTD it will be 400 with the hardware I bought.

Keith: No issues yet. I will need to do something about the size though as I have two different size ports. JTR sells nice adaptors. I may get one of those or have some welding done. I dont known of anyone near me so it might be more cost effective to just use the adaptor and steam vent t-fitting. Although id like a cleaner look of one hose vs a chopped up one.

Update time.

The gen 3 thread was getting quiet so I thought Id update on my progress. I got the radiator and fans installed in the car. Very good fit. Had zero fitment issues. Hints "direct fit" haha. I setup some wiring for it threw two relays. One for each as the harness has a primary and secondary. Odd thing is the wires running to the fan motor that came with the setup are 14 AWG. I was kinda of surprised about this. I dident take any chances and rane nothing smaller then 12 AWG to the relays. I belive my main power wires to the relay are 10 AWG. I have a ton of wire I get from my work for free, so why skimp. I installed some circut breakers on the fire wall for my ignition relay and my fan relays. I will see how the one 30 amp holds up for both fans as the company says each fan is about 10 amps peak. So we will see how that works. I also wrapped the fan wires in plastic insulation and then wrapped it in thermal tape.

All I have left on the electrical is reverse lights, power wire hook up to circut breakers and to the pcm wire. Also have to run a positive cable off the alternator. With the old battrie cable from the doner car I should be able to make a nice cable. There is some other things I will do later like indicator lights for turn signals, high beam and hand brake. I have wires already extended for them just need to setup some LEDs. I test fitted my intake hoses and installed the MAF sensor. I also testfitted the radiator hoses. Top one fits good after some trimming and tweaking of the MAF sensor. But the bottom is going to be tuff. As the port on the radiator is smaller then the one on the water pump. I will see what I can come up with. JTR makes nice adaptors. I may use that for now as Im honestly just trying to get this thing started befor I finalize everything. I hope to get my heater core hoses done this weekend. Along with finishing my oil pressure guage. I boutght A nice copper line that I will run to the guage. Heres some pics. Its looking so good. IMO this motor looks so awesome in these cars. Besides all the dust and tools and overspray I love it. Just hold your toung and wait till I get this thing cleaned up haha.

Fan wiring.

post-27908-017340300 1351939373_thumb.jpg

Radiator.

post-27908-014705300 1351939424_thumb.jpg

post-27908-088132600 1351939444_thumb.jpg

Heres a couple of the motor in the car. Its getting there!!!

post-27908-072454600 1351939493_thumb.jpg

post-27908-035115400 1351939507_thumb.jpg

Dude, make no apologies-that looks boss and super sano. Check some of the street rod suppliers like speedway for a radiator hose reducer or sleeve. This is a sleeve that fills up the gap between the smaller tube and the stock Ls sized hose. I know some hot rodders who have used them without trouble.

Keith: Thanks man. Its just some people are the type that you have to do everything perfect. Or your not doing it right. O well haha! I ordered an adaptor from JTR last night. So I hope to get that next week. Im out to try and finish some stuff up!

Moving on! Today I was able to finish up my cooling system. For the heater hoses I bought some long 5/8 ID hoses with a 90* bend at one end. I also bought some 90* fittings to use to plum to the stock hoses. The stock return line out of the fire wall is bent perfect for the ls1. All I did was extend it to the front of the motor and strait down. The feed had to be cut just off the fire wall and 90* out from the back of the head. I used a total of 3 of the long 5/8 ID hoses. One with the 90* bend at the back. That was attached to the feed. then the other two had the 90* bends up front. I used one splice in the middel of the feed. At the water pump end I bought some randome hoses that were small cheap and had 90* bends. One was 5/8 ID the other 3/4 ID. I used them to come off the water pump and 90* strait up. I used one splice to got to the 5/8 hose and a adaptor to go from 3/4 ID to 5/8ID hose. I did this setup to minimize clamps. Ya you could use 10 90* fitting a bunch of strait hose and 400 clamps but it wpuld look horrible. Heres a few pics how it came out. Still needs to be improved on but it will work well.

post-27908-058452100 1352027167_thumb.jpg

post-27908-043334700 1352027193_thumb.jpg

I was able to use a hose I got from A buddy on here to finish my bottom radiator hose. It went from 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 but it was ment for a radiator with a port that points strait out. I cut the hose and ran a strait pice down over the 90* bend in the radiator port. Used a splice from the parts store to do it. Went great. Installed my sight glass/bleeder T also. Heres a few pics.

post-27908-082741900 1352028540_thumb.jpg

post-27908-028895000 1352028563_thumb.jpg

post-27908-009057900 1352028583_thumb.jpg

I then made a temp. intake setup with all my sensors hooked up. No filter but my goal is just to start it.

post-27908-034354000 1352028659_thumb.jpg

Also started running a large cable from my alternator around the front of the motor to the starter terminal. Waiting on some parts to finish that up.

Im now in a spot where I cant do really anything to get closer to starting this beast until I get my headers. They will ship out on monday. SO I started putting my interior back togeather. Got the control panel in for the heater and did the dash limbo to hook it all up. Wouldent be the first time I was upside down under the dash..Also installd my center consol and shifter. Love the feeling of the shifter compared to the the stock z transmission. All I need to do is fill the motor and tranny with the right fluids and hook up my battrie and starter the see what happens!

Interior hasent been this complete since I rolled it in the backyard.

post-27908-035597600 1352029100_thumb.jpg

Heres a pics of how its looked now for weeks haha!

post-27908-035718000 1352029177_thumb.jpg

Tossed in the driveshaft today. When I bought the tranny, the guy sold it with the old output shaft and half a u-joint. When I use the JCI drive shaft I get a knocking on an up and down motion. Side to side is quiet. I reinstalled the old tail shaft and there is slight movement but it very minimal. Heres a vid of it. Over hand grip is up down, under hand is side to side. If anybody could let me know if they have this play, please let me know if and how bad. ThankS. I posted this on LS1-TECH, but I thought Id throw it on here as some people might have the JCI shaft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9K7z8gqkYI

BTW I WANT MY HEADERS!!!!! MUST....START....CAR!!!!

Edited by 240z72