HybridZ

Jim's 1972 240z LS1

Just thought Id show you all my fan setup and how I assembled it. Keith (RebekahsZ) is using this same setup. He also gave me some pointers on assembly. (Thanks buddy!!) So here it is:

Champion 3 core all tig welded aluminum radiator. No plastic tanks! Its also a direct fit into the S30.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_01-14-31_787.jpg

Heres the polished aluminum shroud and the twin 12" fans. I already drilled hole for the fans. Also there is protective wrapping on the shroud.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_01-14-44_929.jpg

First you need to assemble the brackets that hold the fan to the shroud. these are the brackets.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_01-19-39_253.jpg

Then insert them into the fan in the littel slots.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_01-19-48_257.jpg

Congrats! Take a week off work after that mission. Next just lay the fans on the shroud. Dont remove the protective lining yet.

Once you do the line up the fans the best you can for max flow.

Mark the holes and try not to move the fans at all.

Then center punch and drill out your holes. I chose to use bolts to mount the fans as Keith reccomended. So i drilled for 5/16 inch bolts.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_01-27-06_998.jpg

Now its time to be careful. Remove the protective liner. Lay down the fans and put the bolts in from the back. As to make enough clearance.

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_02-00-07_159.jpg

Next bolt the shroud to the radiator. Once you do that your done with assembly!

attachicon.gif2012-10-31_02-15-32_698.jpg

Thats all I managed today haha. Tomorrow I plan on installing the radiator and finising up some wiring. More to come!

I just got my project running two weeks ago . I bought my radiator from an ebay store , Champion 3 row . It looks different than yours . I'm using single fan with dual speed and i mounted it in OE Z shround .

post-11413-0-19244100-1358818973_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-10747900-1358819001_thumb.jpg

Domzs: Nice man congrats! Good feeling when you get it running. Now you just gotta get it rolling! From the pics i cant tell much besides your running a single fan setup. I went with the dual fan as thats how my harness came. I must say that radiator dose an awsome job of cooling with just one small 12'' fan on. You will like it!

As for my issues. I tore into it and replaced the valve stem seals lastnight. Also checked valve guides. Had only 2 that i needed to pull out the dial indicator on and check. All were well in spec. So i reassembled and fired it up. Ran good. Also dissasembled my vent tubes for the valve covers as i had a high idol. With it connected i was idoling at about 1200. I removed them and plugged the intake ports and im at 850. Also was reading that alot of guys do this on their modern cars and run catch cans. I warmed it up and changed the oil. Read that going to a heavier weight oil would help. So i uped it to 10w 30 from 5w 30. oil was nasty. from all the crap like assembly lube and just from being rebuilt. Got it topped off and ran it for about 20 mins. Up to temp I shut it off and let it sit for about 15 20 mins. Bout how long i would leave it off befor i saw smoke on start up. Fired it up and nothing! No smoke at all. I have yet to road test it but as of now it seems like its fixed. Will update after i take it out for a drive. 

Jim

Edited by 240z72

Domzs: Nice man congrats! Good feeling when you get it running. Now you just gotta get it rolling! From the pics i cant tell much besides your running a single fan setup. I went with the dual fan as thats how my harness came. I must say that radiator dose an awsome job of cooling with just one small 12'' fan on. You will like it!

As for my issues. I tore into it and replaced the valve stem seals lastnight. Also checked valve guides. Had only 2 that i needed to pull out the dial indicator on and check. All were well in spec. So i reassembled and fired it up. Ran good. Also dissasembled my vent tubes for the valve covers as i had a high idol. With it connected i was idoling at about 1200. I removed them and plugged the intake ports and im at 850. Also was reading that alot of guys do this on their modern cars and run catch cans. I warmed it up and changed the oil. Read that going to a heavier weight oil would help. So i uped it to 10w 30 from 5w 30. oil was nasty. from all the crap like assembly lube and just from being rebuilt. Got it topped off and ran it for about 20 mins. Up to temp I shut it off and let it sit for about 15 20 mins. Bout how long i would leave it off befor i saw smoke on start up. Fired it up and nothing! No smoke at all. I have yet to road test it but as of now it seems like its fixed. Will update after i take it out for a drive. 

Jim

I had the same problem with PCV hose . When the motor was in the Z28 , i had intermittent high and surge idle . Saw a cut at the Y boot when i pulled the motor . Repaired it with a Y vac. T ( new assembly costs $100 plus ) .

Come to think of it. I had surging at stops sometimes. I just deleted the left side vent. It just vents into the bay and sometimes a bit of oil comes out. Not alot juat like a mist. I drove for about a half hour today. Starting with no smoke at all now. Happy it was an easy fix.

Come to think of it. I had surging at stops sometimes. I just deleted the left side vent. It just vents into the bay and sometimes a bit of oil comes out. Not alot juat like a mist. I drove for about a half hour today. Starting with no smoke at all now. Happy it was an easy fix.

I'd do something about that before it makes a huge mess... because it will. 

I was thinking about doing the same . But by pluging the rear hole on the valve cover on the pass. side . And have the PCV valve sucks from the driver side only . But i found a Y vac. T from a Ford ( from a repaired job ) that has correct size fittings . Lucky me . LOL . As Sunny Z stated , I'd plug that hole .

Over the weekend i decided to try and settle down the chattering i had with my CLSD. The standard mix of one bottle of friction modifier wasent doing the trick. So i drained the oil and added 4 bottels of friction modifier. And topped it off with some 80-90. Major improvement. Still vibrates a tiny bit but i havent driven it a whole lot. So i think once its good and worked it the clutches its gonna be good to go. If i can stop buying guns for a bit il try to finish my cv axle swap!

Edited by 240z72

I dont know if i posted this yet but i weighed the Z. With me in it and about a 7-9gals of fuel. Im at 2680. Im 200lbs of that. I had my friends at the highway patrol weight it. Notten like a man with a badge telling you to rip on it as i leave hahh! And boy i flew outta that place!

• 1 month later...

Well Its been sometime now and my car is running great! Im especially happy tonight as i finally got my speedo working. Yes its been awhile and i have no idea how far ive gone but its 5 miles deep as of now haha. I tore the dash apart tring to find the break in the wire and finally found a bad connector. A streched out back, scrached hands and a beer or two later I got it back togeather. It was 4am before i got it done and I said screw it im testing it out. Rolled down the street to my spot that I use to calibrate the speedo and started the process. Needles to say i smiled almost as much as when this thing first started up, when the LCD display started taking signal. Its spot on too. The wounderful world we live in with smart phones helped me assure this. :)

I also swapped in my CV axles finally. I ended up getting the axles from Josey (sunnyz) if anybodys woundering where they went...lol. They are very nice but i think they are more for a disk brake setup as i had fun getting my bottom spring on for the brake shoes. I dont have any cusome axles. Just flipped the cages and use two driver side axles. I swapped over one end that goes into the diff. as the passenger one has a longer shaft on it. No issues yet! Swapped in some heavier spring in the back as i was getting alot of wheel hop if i triend to light them up. Damn cars are so light though...

Id advise people to check out the cab feed wire off the starter. Its where the car basically get all its 12v power from. Its about 10awg,white and has a clip. Mine about melted and caused my car to die. The clip connector was corroded so bad it was causing alot of resistance. Resistance causes heat and that dont do well for old plastic. I replace it and eliminated the connector all togeather. My lights are brighter now too.

Something ive been kicking around in my head is doing flairs. As i want to run my 245's i have sittting around. Maby get a lil more out of first n second. Its hard cutting up my car! But i shur love the look! Anybody have a say on where to get a good set of flairs?  

I don't think you will find ANY street compound tire, of any size, that you can't spin if you try. However, I have seen a 6.1 1/8 mile with a 8.5" slick. The only way to avoid spinning with your car is either by restraint or a slick-and even then, a hot sticky slick. Think about having sacrificial street tires and separate race tires.

Is it still so dry out there?  I lived there in the early '90s and it didn't rain for 5 years-if it is still like that, you could go straight to drag radials if you have deep pockets.  BFG has some with some tread, although the "classic" seems to be the MT Drag Radial around here.  Just dangerous if there is ANY water on the road.  235/60/15 is the  best drag tire for your swashticas-goes right on perfectly and gives you 8" of axle-breakin' sticky tread on the ground.  Funny you commented on 195s-my first set of autocross tires were BFG R1s in 195/60 and they were SO much stickier than any street tire I've ever driven.  Although that was really just the case in the lateral mode-in the forward mode they were still easy to fry.  Tire engineers are amazing.  Really glad you are out there rippin' it up!  If you haven't gotten to the track-best stay away-it is addictive in these little rockets.

What spring rates are you running?

Edited by RebekahsZ

Ill look into the drag tires. It just stopped raining here. The news says it supposed to be the last bit for awhile. Its raining about once a month right now. The 195s hook up quite well really. But in 1st n 2nd i have to go really easy. Yea i have no clue on what to do at tye track scene. Total noob. I honestly could see myself chasing fractions of a second and spending money to do it. Maby its best i dont lol. I have 250lb springs in the back and 175lb in the front with adjustable shocks. Honestly with my shocks all the way up and with the 250lb springs the car drives like a loaded semi. Bouncy. I turned down the hocks and its still bouncy but not where ima lose control from it. I know a guy running 450lb springs in a 260 with a 302. That must be fun. I rather have a smoother ride then less body roll n wheel hop as its a street car for me. Im not raching it evertime i go out. Even when i pull on a four pot honda it still works fine.

On 235/60-15 M/T Drag Radials I went  6.80 at 102 1/8th mile and 10.80 at 125 in the 1/4, on motor. My 60 ft. was 1.48 so they work for sure!  I have also gone 9.78 at 140 on them with a 175 shot! You can drive your car in the rain but keep speeds under 45- 50 unless you want to play bumper pool!

• 4 weeks later...