• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Time for a small but good update. 

My 1978 280z 2+2 is now Zeal Red. 

2015-09-07_21-00-07_107_zps325cecaa.jpg

The Zeal Red is a single stage pearl from Mazda. It is a bit on the pricey side. Due to the rules of the EPA, I had to use a low VOC base and clear. This was a bit odd to me as the inlet pressure for the HVLP on the base coat is 5 to 8 psi and is a 75% overlap as from the spec sheet. 

I must admit, it took me a few tests shots on the wall to get it right, but the car came out great. 

2015-09-07_19-47-09_912_zps416a0648.jpg

2015-09-07_18-48-09_776_zps67e988fc.jpg

The clear flowed well on the flat. 

2015-09-07_17-36-51_81_zps447231a8.jpg

Some color sand needed on the sides though. 

2015-09-07_18-47-29_59_zps27845dbe.jpgThe carcass (I mean chassis) is now painted. 

• 3 months later...

Are you concerned at all about taking to the shop when you are all done and having it tugged on and that messing up any of the work you have done this far. I had the same issue with my car and built it on a jig and straightened it there. I did not take measurements the same way you did though and am a little concerned it may need to go to a frame shop to get perfect later. I simply made sure the jig was perfectly level square straight then made sure the rockets were equal distances off the jig on either side. Then I leveled the engine bay frame rails front to back. Then any other suspension mounting location I leveled from side to side. This is just my first car restoration project I've done whatsoever so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

When the car was on its side, I took a ton of measurements according to the manual. It turned out that it was just the passenger's side engine bay area that had been knocked out of line. My jig worked, but is still a little off, but I am confident it can be corrected to dead on when I re-create the core support.

As a small update, it runs. I am back to mad scientist on electrical wiring again. Running 36-1 wheel with MS1.

Edited by AkRev

• 4 months later...

Been a bit since an update. 

Life always takes priority over a car. Shortly after I painted the car, my three year old got sick with osteomyelitis and needed surgery, at the same time I got an opportunity to move to a better company and job. We also had our first girl this month. So that brings the tally to four boys, and one girl. So with all of the medical expenses, I held off spending money on the Z until things settled down. 

I got the Z back together. I have yet to paint the front fenders, hood, and bumper. But I got the chance to take it out for a drive this past week.

I will place the camera not next to the valve cover next time. Keep in mind this was a very crude tune, so I did not get past 1/4 throttle, and was just making sure everything felt right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rowWDPT5F_g

After watching the vid, I need to make a mount for the fuel rail as I didnt notice how much it moved around. 

I changed up the cooling, I am using a radiator system from a 90 e30. That is why you see the expansion tank on the right side. 

More updates to come.

• 5 months later...

Work is still happening on the 280z. I have been sidetracked by a lot of other project cars lately. The most important part though. 

2016-10-08_zpsb9gl6ytz.jpg2016-10-08%202_zps8ut1myxy.jpg2016-10-08%201_zpsxd2w2mu8.jpg

It drives good, just need to spend some time and tune it. Was also able to hook up a three wire Bosch idle air valve to my Megasqurit. That has been the best update I could have made, it makes the car so much easier to handle with the the cam.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dang, It has been over two years since I have made an update. 

Not a ton has changed, but I am back at working on it again. (Took time to enjoy the car as I worked on other cars, ended up putting on about 15k miles)

The one big thing that I got knocked out on the car, I used it as a guinea-pig to run Speeduino, and I am loving it. 

My brother in law convinced me to to start recording a little bit of the stuff I do. So if you are bored, feel free to watch from time to time. 

Right now, I took the time to start a love it or hate it project, a gated shifter. I am not a fan of the metal look in the Z, so I have been working on sewing together a cover for it. 

I should be jumping on more often as I am working on the interior of the Z. 

First I'm come across the build. Subscribed! Keep up the vids. I'm also eager to see more speeduino stuff documented, as I think it's a bit of the hay stack breaking the camel's back pushing MS into the Pro-only market. I'm running MS3x and if I hadn't of gotten a good deal on a full ECU+Intake+Fuel Rail+Injector setup I'd likely have gone another route.

Than you, Gollum!

As for MS, yes, it has been hard watching the change. Losing the proto area and not able to solder your own board. Then the prices seem to just be so steep (Still a great deal when you compare to more established companies) but to the point it is hard to justify when other mods could provide more gain for the buck. 

My car was a very early adopter of the 3.0 board. It was also an early test case of MSnS (before it it was coined Extra)

As I went through and got the car cleaned up and running again two years ago, I ran into limits. I wanted LS coils, to use a 3 wire idle valve (that I had already), I liked my hall sensor (and did not like the opto circuit on the 3.0 board or playing with the pots or the odd jumper), to be able to use a dash mounted screen (future project), and I didnt really care about sequential. 

When I ran through it all, the direction of Speeduino really appealed to me. There was a guy on the Speeduino forum that was the American dealer for the boards and kits. He hooked up my brother in law and I for under $100 each. That got me to start doing piggy back testing with the MS and enjoying the way the works. I have put about 7k miles with the Speeduino so far. It gets better gas millage than my MS1 (keep in mind that was single coil, I went to LS coils before my first full tank)

There are some things that are not as polished, but somethings are more user friendly. It is a trade off. 

I am still a huge fan of MS, I still have other projects with them. This just allowed me to spend some money on some other areas of the car.

Thanks!

Edited by AkRev

• 2 months later...

I have been slowly chipping away at the car, I have been mostly doing short videos on the ECU and tuning out things to make it run and drive like a modern car. BUT, this past week, I took the turbo that has been sitting on my shelf for 5+ years and installed it. I have put about 200 miles on it over this past week and loving every moment of it. It is amazing how much the turbo changes the Z. I have started out with 6 PSI and tuned it with a very reserved spark table. I have since bumped up to 8 PSI and done the same. Next step is knock sensor. Got to get that worked out. Speaking of that, most knock sensor systems state to mount the sensor near the intake. Anyone done testing to see where the best place to mount is on the L28?I have been slowly chipping away at the car, I have been mostly doing short videos on the ECU and tuning out things to make it run and drive like a modern car. BUT, this past week, I took the turbo that has been sitting on my shelf for 5+ years and installed it. I have put about 200 miles on it over this past week and loving every moment of it. It is amazing how much the turbo changes the Z. I have started out with 6 PSI and tuned it with a very reserved spark table. I have since bumped up to 8 PSI and done the same. Next step is knock sensor. Got to get that worked out. Speaking of that, most knock sensor systems state to mount the sensor near the intake. Anyone have suggestions on a great place to mount a Knock Sensor on the L28?

• 5 months later...

Have not posted in this thread for a wile. Been working on some side projects and having fun with other toys. I even took some time to help my brother in law with his 620. We swapped in a KA24 and got the chance to drive it for the first time. (it is a ton of fun) Video of it linked below if you want to see it)

My 280 has been running great. Going to start cleaning up the interior now and fixing it up. I am working on mounting a tablet into the dash right now. It is going into the spot where the center vents normally are.

One odd thing that has started up lately, the reverse lock-out has stopped working. So if I am sloppy when I pull it out of 5th, I will hear it grind against reverse gear. Anyone else run into this before? If there is an easy fix, I would love to know, otherwise I will get to rebuilding the transmission next year (3rd gear syncro is not happy and needs to be replaced anyway)