HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS Conversion

SUNNY Z

Thanks.  Two questions.  First could you use the Explorer differential that you got the cover from or is it a solid axle 8.8?  Second do you happen to know what tools would be needed to pull an 8.8 out of say a Lincoln Mark VIII or at least is there anything special I should take when I go pull it?  

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.  Two questions.  First could you use the Explorer differential that you got the cover from or is it a solid axle 8.8?  Second do you happen to know what tools would be needed to pull an 8.8 out of say a Lincoln Mark VIII or at least is there anything special I should take when I go pull it?  

Yes, you could use the 8.8 from the explorer. Most (if not all) came with 3.73's, so if thats what you're after it might be a good move for you.  Not sure on the MKVIII stuff, but the axles could be in the hubs pretty good and need a puller to get loose.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you so much. I am going with the 8.8" diff for my ls1 swap. I went ahead and bought the cobra lsd (posi) 31 spline with 3.73 gearing. I already bought the whole diff from a local u pull and pay salvage yard off a lincoln mark 8 for like 80 bucks. what a b**ch to remove if you didnt bring the right tools and doing it by your self (worth it though). The housing cover is the same as what you have with the two ears up front but the rear cover is the kind with 2 bolt holes in the middle of the cover.

Any ways the main thing i want to let everyone know is i wanted to adapt the 8.8" to the AZC mustache bar i just bought in a clean and structural manner. While browsing the web i found this by accident. This is what exactly i have been looking for. Something to allow me to make my own rear cover. All i have to do is add mounting points and a fill,drain and vent plugs. Since i dont have access to a machine to cut metal plating into any shape you want (in this case a flange) this works out perfectly and isnt that bad on price. Got to be able to weld or this may not work for some of you unless you take it to a shop.

Made by Blue Torch. You can even buy just the flange if you wanted to on their site. Just thought id share this for anyone else out there wanting to do a 8.8" diff swap.

imagesashx_zps668efb28.jpg

88_hires_zpsd603e01d.jpg

imagesashx1_zps0c5e1cb8.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What year Cobra?  (I tried to PM you, but it said "The user SunnyZ can not receive any more messages" or something like that....)

I'm leaning towards the Mark VIII aluminum housing IRS myself, for weight reduction if nothing else (besides ease of finding parts and the possibly high gear ratios that they came with.)

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...