HybridZ

Group Buy on SpeedHut Gauges

ihiryu

So the issue at least with my 70 and 72 dashes is the holes are not round, but oblong or oval even. I've used some pieces of plastic pipe, caps, oilfield tubing, etc to find a way to get these 4.5" gauges to sit further ahead than the 4"/stock locations people use.

I've concluded for now that the best option may be to use 4.5" gauges in the STOCK location but with a remote button for the odometer/tach reset buttons.

Having the buttons on the gauges means removing the plastic lens from the stock housings, which leaves a disappointing gap between the front and rear trim bezels. Not to mention a awkwardly deep hole to stick ones hand into to operate the gauges. Yes, deeper than stock.

The 2 5/8 gauges will work well sitting inside a price of 2" abs or possibly pipe, secured by the stock screw location. You'll need some fuzzy trim such as the soft side of some velcro tape to wrap the gauge in so there isn't a gap in between the speedhut bezel and dash cutout.

Either way, the 4 and 4.5 gauges fit in the same location in the same way. You get more gauge face with a 4.5", but it won't sit any further ahead unless you fabricate a ring for it to sit on. An oval ring. May not be worth it.

I'll caution that a >5" gauge will likely exhibit the same problem and would possibly be worse if it wants to sit on the outside of the cutout. That cutout faces downward, with the overhang from 10-2. Must sit inside. Likely also not a circle at the forefront of the dash. Potential Eyesore.

The car is gutted to a chassis at this time. I was working on the dash seperately but will post photos when I eventually decide on a compromise.

Edited by Orangetang

Just a thumbs up for ihiryu! Purchased a set of Speedhut gauges for another project and he was great to work with. IMO they are nicer than the Pro Comp Autometer gauges I have here. Definitely will be using them in my 240Z when I get to that point.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Speedhut is at a record low, on delivery time.  They are really going for the full six weeks this time.  Be patient guys!  We had one order finally ship earlier this week, and it was one of my early orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so took Lukas idea and went one step farther with the help of a buddie. So got the abs pipe and needed to bore one out a hair( thanks to the innovative gauge being bigger) so did the same thing to the large pods and then with me using 2 1/16 gauges over the 2 5/8 noticed that the 2" pods at home Depot fit the gauges and made it 4mm smaller then the 2 5/8ths. So ya here's what I got. I'll give do another photo upload when I put them in the gauge.

post-12782-0-76054100-1463876402_thumb.jpg

post-12782-0-33218300-1463876426_thumb.jpg

post-12782-0-54592500-1463876507_thumb.jpg

Edited by chaos

• 2 weeks later...

What gauge is clustered with your speedo? How did you lay out the three in the pods? Looks like a great setup!

image.jpg1_zpsn38trnls.jpgimage.jpg1_zps40acfblt.jpg
4 1/2" speedo and tach. To mount I used a 5" abs coupler which I cut in half. At its mid point the coupler is ribbed and it is the perfect diameter for the gauge. The pipe fits snug in the dash.

Edited by jpndave

What gauge is clustered with your speedo? How did you lay out the three in the pods? Looks like a great setup!

What gauge is with the speedometer?

It's a fuel gauge with the speedo.

The three pod gauges were a little more involved. I cut pieces of plastic to fit flat behind each of the holes, and marked the perimeter of the opening on the plastic. I found the center of the circle and used a hole saw to cut out the opening for the gauge. Each piece was then epoxied in place. 

IMG_1283_zpse5fljlga.jpg

Here's the painted dash

IMG_1333_zpsjljjrb5s.jpg

Edited by Lukaniuk