HybridZ

L20ET Upgrade

ClintM

Hi Guys,im from south africa and own a HR30 Skyline Coupe,I have a L20et motor thats getting rebuilt with some new parts,hopefully it will get me close to the 250Hp mark that i am aiming for.What do guys think is this achievable with a L20ET.

My second question is can i use a L28 crankshaft with l20 rods and pistons

1.315cc Injectors off Toyota 7MGE

2.Custom fuel rail

3.800x350x70 Front Mount Intercooler

4.M0dified Distributor

5.T3\T4 Turbo with .63 Turbine Housing and Ar 60 Compressor with internal wastegate

6.Boost Controller

7.Aftermarket Standalone ECU

2 Liter Turbo? 680HP...

The L28 will require you to use pistons of appropriate pin height (or Rods) so the pistons don't "pop out" from the longer stroke. If you can get an L28 Crank, you can bore the block to use L24 pistons or possibly L28 pistons depending on the cores in your engine. It was common to do an internal parts swap in Japan to keep the Shaken-Sho inspectors off you---the engine SAYS it's an L20, that's good enough for them!

With a 2 Liter, you don't want the .63 A/R, keep your .48 that is already on there, just have the housing cut for the new wheel you want to use.

The stock L20ET is 145HP, you can get to the higher number easy enough, but you want a compressor that flows better, and a cam with larger lift to flow better under boost.

That engine will turn to 7,000 all day long with that short stroke, get a higher lift low overlap cam....and a turbo that flows better with the smaller A/R. Maximise the rpm useable range and you will have a fun car to drive. The .48 A/R will have you spooling on the L20 by 2500, and if you cut with a different wheel for better flow only slightly higher. 1Bar at 2700rpms will pull nicely with a cam that 'comes on' at 3500-4000 and pulls to 6800, 7000 will be a blast and make the 250 if you do some pocket work on the head (gas flowing)...even with the smaller stock valves!

But that cam needs more lift, and slightly different timing to move the operational band to the rev ability of the stock piston set.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Tony thanks for the reply,unfortunately i already bought the new turbo,the l20et that i have came with a stupid modified turbo that has a huge ar1 turbine housing,so i scarpped that turbo,i have a l28 engine(F54 block with N42 Head) the problem is that this l28 is a centre bowl sump and skyline uses a front bowl,now my idea is to put the sump and oil pickup from the l20et engine onto the l28 and get the engineers to drill the block for the oil dipstick,im not too sure as to what you mean by The engine cores,is it the spacing between the cylinder bores ?

I would love to have a l28et cos of the extra power its able to make compared to the l20et.

I just swapped a L28ET into my GC110 Skyline. It was easier for me to modify the oil pick up tube to work with the front sump and not drill the pad on the L28ET block. I plugged the rear dipstick hole on the L28 and drilled a new hole one into the side of the block to work with the front sump. I used an aftermarket universal style dipstick. Incase you didn't know the l28et and l28e blocks are functionally the same.

Hi CTC,im sure the l20et oil pick will work on the l28e block,I notice that the l28e block has a place where the front bowl dipstick would fit but obviosuly it does not have a hole,so i was just going to drill it in original place that a front sump dipstick would be and use the original l20et dipstick in there.Sorry what do you mean by not drill the pad.

I may need to post picture to explain, but the location where the oil pickup mounts to the block is different on the L28E and the L20ET. This is the pad you will need to have drilled. If you just drill the L28E block for the front dipstick mount you will drill into the main oil galley between the pick up and the pump.

The proper thing to do, is to drill the front oil pickup location on the L28E, install a plug between the original L28E pick up location and the new one you had drilled. The drill the front dipstick mount on the L28E.

As I indicated, I took a different route as I didn't have access to a machine shop. I will post a pic in a little while, but there are plenty of pics showing the oil pump pickup locations already on this sight.

post-5825-003245600 1351211312_thumb.jpg

Edited by ctc

Hey Ctc,thanks for the pic,any way i took the sump of the L28E block and it also has the front oil pick up already drilled but its obviously blanked off,now my thoughts are,as u said extend the original L28E pickup to the front of the block and the for the dipstick i could drill the sump and weld a tube from the dipstick,Im kinda scared because i also noticed the oil gallery where the dipctick would go.

Now im thinking maybe i should just stick the L20ET in the car and run that for the time being while i build the L28E.

• 6 years later...
On 10/25/2012 at 6:14 AM, ctc said:

I may need to post picture to explain, but the location where the oil pickup mounts to the block is different on the L28E and the L20ET. This is the pad you will need to have drilled. If you just drill the L28E block for the front dipstick mount you will drill into the main oil galley between the pick up and the pump.

The proper thing to do, is to drill the front oil pickup location on the L28E, install a plug between the original L28E pick up location and the new one you had drilled. The drill the front dipstick mount on the L28E.

As I indicated, I took a different route as I didn't have access to a machine shop. I will post a pic in a little while, but there are plenty of pics showing the oil pump pickup locations already on this sight.

post-5825-003245600 1351211312_thumb.jpg

Can you give way more detail on drilling the front sump oil dipstick . Where, what angle , what size drill and pictures of yours?