HybridZ

1UZ-FE 240z comments/hints/information/anything will help

xale

(Just a quick summery of my situation as to not bore and get to the point) I purchased a 1970 240z for 1900 bucks. The seller claimed it has 50k miles on it and that it sat in a barn from 1979-2005 then he purchased an did a partial restoration but had to abort final touches do to a baby... I now think he is a chronic liar... Who knows... il get into that if anyone cares lol.

I am not the the most knowledgeable with cars, but I have a few friends who are very knowledgable, they have hydraulic lifts all tools and are more then capable welders. (for mounts i have a local shop willing to make custom mounts for cheap)

I have decided to go the 1UZ-FE route. I have done quite a bit of research but i have not found much technical information on this swap. I have found a few pictures but nothing to informative, such as.. "...and the UZ were joined with the transmission and lifted into the car." on further research i have found adapter plate plans, and also a full bellhousing (with extras) on ebay for 1100 bucks. I have not found any technical write ups.

If anyone has competed this swap with anything similar (read part list below) or can lead me in a direction, i would loooove the help!!

here is my list so far, with seemingly decent prices

1uzfe $800

r154 $600 ( guy still has it locally! )

Mounts (engine/x) $400

bellhousing adapter $1,100

300zx diff $350

diff Mounting package $500

let me throw in I have been a HUGE Z fan... pretty much since i can remember. I had Z books as a kid and when i was little my siblings had Z cars ( I was an accident lol) I am more then exited to own a 240z and I'm exited to make it mine. Thanks in advance for any help ::))

• 1 month later...

Sounds a little expensive to me. I fortunately picked up most of my parts relatively cheap. I paid the following

$400 for a slightly rusty 240z

$300 for a 80k mile 1uzfe with bellhousing and flexplate.

$150 for 2008 z33 6 speed. with 12k miles.... yeah.. I know a guy who works at a nissan dealership..

$333 for a swap1uz.com adapter plate.

as for the rest of the stuff like mounts and what flywheel to use i can go into more depth... the art of swapping a 1uzfe is kept kinda secret.

i will say though that the majority of people who do go with this engine use a flywheel from a 3VZ AKA 1990 v6 toyota 4runner.

and as for mounts maybe you should look at what people do to put this engine into a MK3 supra... hint hint

xale I have a thread on here that had a fair bit of detail showing how I've installed one in a 280zx which might help.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/66680-my-1uz-280zx-swap/

One thing I would say is that if you're going to do it properly the costs that you have there now are only the beginning and it's all the little things that you have to put together that really end up costing the most. I picked up my half cut for $1000 and after selling of some of the bits from the half cut that would have been by far one of the cheapest bits of the build....

I don't want to try to turn you off but if you are not too good with the tools then there are much easier/cheaper swaps out there that won't require so many custom/modified parts to get it all to work.