HybridZ

Weight of L28 engine?

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by toddekindred:

Does anyone know the weight of the L28 engine with all the accessories?

I hope so; I too have wondered about the weight of the L28. I have 6 books on the Z; two of them on how two restore it & the other four are manuals for different years....not one of them lists the weight of an L28.

I may be anal retentive (I prefer Pathologically Focussed-Much kinder & politically correct for my ego) but I would like to know specifics down to the last lbs. of what is gained & lost by the removal of the 6 & installment of the V8.

I know the V8 weight will depend upon the use of alluminum; but atleast the SBC crowd has the weight #'s documented. Sorry for the rambling-I too have wondered about the weight of an L28.

Anyone else know?

I don't usually visit this side of the neighborhood, but saw a question I could help on. I weighed the L24 when I swapped it out for the V8. The L24 wieghed 425lbs. This was with alternator and manifolds (basically the whole engine dry with no A/C). I was surprised, but now understand better why these engines last sooooo long on the road. My guess with the L28 is it weighs an additional 20lbs due to the additional intake manifold mass.

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by blueovalz:

I don't usually visit this side of the neighborhood, but saw a question I could help on. I weighed the L24 when I swapped it out for the V8. The L24 wieghed 425lbs. This was with alternator and manifolds (basically the whole engine dry with no A/C); the L28 weighs an additional 20lbs due to the addt'l intake manifold mass.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I basically gave up ever knowing the actual/proximate weight of the L28 as Nissan seems rather criptic about it & doesnt ever list it in any of their resource books; at least not any books I currently have.

Kevin,

Someone on zcar.com posted that they weighed one and it was between 500-525lbs. I thought it was high, but the person is a reliable source so I believed it.

When I did my swap, I felt the L28T and GN were about even and after the same type of question was posted on a Buick forum, it was reported that the Buick was 394lbs w/o the turbo.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ