HybridZ

Positively Displaced

Xnke

Starting to get worried about ring failure due to all the fuel that was getting dumped in. We'll fix that when it becomes a problem; right now the thing needs to run again.

Been working on the plenum today, it's 50F and the humidity is a problem. Breath fogs the welding mask badly!

Will finish the plenum up this week. Need to make the seconday plenum again, not decided (still) on what i'll do this time.

Will be driving again early march, approximately...just long enough to find out if it's still fscked or if I have a runner again. If it's a runner...LSD time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried to get it cranked up today, not a chance. will fire a few times on the cranking pulses, but it's not pulling vacuum and sputters out as soon as the starter is disengaged.

EDIT:

I'm stupid. New injectors are high-impedance.

Edited by Xnke

Looks like I might have a failed injector driver. Three header primaries temp-gun at 500F, three at 180F. Somethin's not right there...so the MS came out from under the driver's seat and I'm testing it now. Sounds wicked though, farting a flame out the exhaust and whining from the supercharger...

IT'S ALIVE!

Had a section of old Volvo turbo hose in place for a temporary solution, but as soon as I straightened out my wiring goof and cranked all six cylinders up, it idled a little strangely and when I drove it around the block it just had NO power. None.

Came back home and found that hose collaped nearly completely flat, no wonder. Quick trip to the leftovers shelf and a 180* u-bend that had been cut up for a different car was trimmed up and welded together, and problem solved. I was short one silicone coupling so I pressed a short section of the Volvo hose into service...it's fully supported and won't collapse now.

But, the temp dropped from 16F to 2F while I was working, and so the slightly weak, not very charged, been sitting for most of the winter battery won't quite start the car again. It's on charge.

Having idle issues. The new injectors turned out to be not..they're some custom rebuild of a Nikki INP-series injector. The shop that I bought them from ground the part number off...grrr.

It's looking like they aren't linear under a 2.0ms pulse width; which is a problem because that holds my idle up near 1500RPM. I'll get it fixed, then the rest of tuning should go pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Drove the car around today, tire balance is farkkkeddd. The car will gobble the tach with only 22* of timing advance at 8.5psi, and there just isn't enough brass in my pants to push 120+ on a roadway. Only pushed to 6.5K, but the tires being so out of balance had my driver's door pop the catch and hold on the safety latch at 80MPH today.

Won't idle worth a damn, though. Not sure what the deal is still, once the revs fall under 1000RPM there's no stopping them. They'll just keep falling, no combo of timing, fueling, airflow, cam position, valve lash, anything else I've tried prevents it.

• 3 weeks later...

Outlet? You mean the photos on page 1? Every part and piece is detailed photographically in this thread. Feel free to PM me if you need help with things.

I would reccomend this setup in an S130 to anyone...in an S30 push the engine back an extra inch or two and then it would be a cakewalk. Radiator fan to belt clearance is the only major space issue, along with careful placement of the supercharger.

Get an LD28 manifold, hog the runners, and fit the injectors on the end of the lower runners, not up by the head...longer runners, bigger runners, plus already setup for no throttle. Perfect part to start with!

My idle issue is very likely the combo of low compression and late intake valve closing...New cam will be in by next weekend and I hope to have that problem solved. 7.9:1 comp and a 72* closing point doesn't work very well! Think 300* intake duration...that is roughly equal, event timing wise, to the issue with my current cam.

Cam selection would be similar to a N/A engine, I chose a bigger exhaust cam to bolster my exhaust port, since they don't flow as much as I would like. Bigger exhaust valve would also be a benifit, possibly will happen next time the head gets refreshed. A 37mm valve can be fitted, but only barely.

Edited by Xnke

Yeah, it's awesome. That's an M62, BTW, not an M90...saw you mention in the other thread about it, so that's why I say.

You're pretty stuck with the blower...it HAS to go up stream. I've tried it with ITB's, single throttle and the split-throttle setup, and while all "worked", the before-the-blower throttle really is the only reasonable way to go with a roots or a screw type charger.

If you can move the battery, it's VERY advantagous as far as inlet air is concerned. Opens up miles of real estate for a proper air filter.

Use the largest throttle you can stand. The 3800SC blowers have throttles smaller than Eaton recommends, Especially the M62. I'm running a Q-ship throttle with the non-linear linkage and it's very, very controllable. The opening of the M62 is 65mm, and a Ford 4.6L V8 throttle will match up nicely diameter-wise, but it's really too small for the blower. Roots type blowers REALLY don't cope well with inlet restriction, they just become heat guns.

Edited by Xnke

You're pretty stuck with the blower...it HAS to go up stream. I've tried it with ITB's, single throttle and the split-throttle setup, and while all "worked", the before-the-blower throttle really is the only reasonable way to go with a roots or a screw type charger.

I would say it is possible to run with the throttle body in the stock location after the supercharger.  280zedx's car is setup that way and he's had no issues.