HybridZ

1982 280zxt [WZRD] Log

TonyB

- Hey everyone. A good friend of mine showed me a silver RB26 240z awhile ago and I instantly fell in love with Datsun. About a week later he showed me an ad on craigslist for a 280zx and I bought it that weekend. I have had this 1982 280zxt since May of 2011. It has had its issues, but it has been solid since I've had it. Now I want more out of it.

- I'm now starting to upgrade anything that goes out in the car. I plan to do everything in groups/systems, so I'm not always at the mechanic. If possible I would like to do as much as the work myself. This being my first car, I don't have many tools or experience. Although I did replace the alternator and starter myself already, and I do my own oil/oil filter changes.

- My plans for this is to post pictures and updates as they happen. Hopefully you guys can help with what options I have for upgrades, what I might also need, suggestions, and help and guidance.

Anyway, here's my baby.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

The first "system" that is being upgraded is the exhaust system. I have been having trouble passing smog, so I have decided to get a new catalytic converter. To go with the new cat, I will be getting 3in mandrel bend stainless steel pipes, and a new muffler. I would like good airflow and a deep low exhaust sound without getting too loud. I was thinking of getting a simple Magnaflow Cat with a simple Magnaflow Muffler.

My only questions are:

- Will the cat and muffler even fit? I used the same cat Magnaflow suggested just with a 3in in/out, and I measured the muffler I have, and it's about the same dimensions as this new one.

- Will this setup be loud? Because I don't want anything too crazy and loud.

- How much should something like this cost? I don't want to get ripped off.

Yes the muffler will fit, there is plenty of room back there. You could also just bring it to a decent muffler shop/welder and they may have some cats/mufflers on hand. The one in my town has basically a wall of mufflers and cats.

As for how much it will cost, cross check the prices on amazon. Just plug in the part number and it should come up. Cats are pretty pricey though (compared to a muffler). I'd expect whatever the cost of the parts and tubing, plus 2 hours of labor. If you bring the car to them with the exhaust off maybe even less.

Yes the muffler will fit, there is plenty of room back there. You could also just bring it to a decent muffler shop/welder and they may have some cats/mufflers on hand. The one in my town has basically a wall of mufflers and cats.

As for how much it will cost, cross check the prices on amazon. Just plug in the part number and it should come up. Cats are pretty pricey though (compared to a muffler). I'd expect whatever the cost of the parts and tubing, plus 2 hours of labor. If you bring the car to them with the exhaust off maybe even less.

The cat and muffler I already got online. Both came up to about $160. I was mainly asking about the price for the 3in pipes and fabbing. I should have been more specific. I will try to get pictures for you guys as they work. I also, recorded the exhaust sound before and will make a video to show the differences.

• 1 month later...

Brakes are fairly decent as is, they work well for autocrossing. you really only need pads. That being said I would do suspension next. They will make a more noticeable difference than brakes. If you're not looking at anything too crazy, just do some tokico blues and tokico springs.