HybridZ

HybridZ Is Not Automotive 101

johnc

This exactly.

If I turn up zilch in the search bar here, I go to google.

They almost ALWAYS turn up some thread I've never seen, with the answer I'm looking for.

Same, I actually stopped using the search function here as soon as the site switched over to the new format. The old one was awesome. I never had any trouble finding info, this one blows. But it is much better in other ways. If they could just incorporate the old search function into this one...

Which is making me now think, maybe people wouldn't ask as many obvious questions if they knew to use google to search hybridz instead of the search function? I know i never have luck with it but almost always find what im looking for when I use google. Maybe alot people dont know about this?

I agree on making more stickies as well. I have learned a lot from them, maybe have a sticky with all the fsm's, EFI Bible ect.

Edited by stravi757

This exactly.

If I turn up zilch in the search bar here, I go to google.

They almost ALWAYS turn up some thread I've never seen, with the answer I'm looking for.

I go to google first. The only time I use the search bar in any forum is when doing an advanced search (perhaps posts made by a certain person or for a chronological list of posts within a certain subforum). Maybe we should have a "how to search" FAQ? While plenty of people can turn a wrench, this seems to be a skill that many are lacking.

e.g.

(1) Go to google.com

(2) Type in detailed keywords related to your query

(3) After the keywords, type in "site:hybridz.org", quotes and italics unnecessary in actual use. You can use the "site:" command to search any site.

(4) If you don't get good hits, start making your keywords less detailed or try different keywords

(5) Another strategy when you don't get good hits, if you see a lot of other words coming up not related to your search use the "-" (minus) command. This excludes keywords you don't want from the search results.

Example: you want to search for "diff swap" on HybridZ but don't care about R230 swaps. Type in "diff swap -R230 site:hybridz.org". This will eliminate any hit with the word "R230" in it.

Appendix A If you encounter a term or word you don't know, use google or dictionary.com.

If it's an acronym you're not familiar with, e.g. "ITB", you will likely find the meaning by google searching "itb car". This is an automotive site and most of the acronyms are very likely to be related to cars.

If it's a word you don't know, e.g. "trunnion", then copy/paste it into dictionary.com.

Appendix B Google has it's own search tips, located HERE. Use them.

Tip: In the midst of a search, even tangential results and discussions for your query may lead to some interesting results and help you learn something new or something you've been curious about. Happens all the time! ;)

Is it appropriate to discuss the BEST way to search? There is no BEST on hybridz.org.

True that, Here in china, everyone uses Baidu, mention google and they look blank.

But for the main user of HBZ, google is likely the most commonly used and best known search engine, so sticking to google and maybe bing writep makes FAR more sense than having 50 writeups for suck places as Kazkazhan-Borat-search.com, Klingon-search.com and redneck-hunt-em-net-stuff.com

I thought it was only me not being able to find things here. Glad to see it isn't. Those search tips are nice. Not all of us grew up in the internet era and still learn things by the seat of our pants.

I see Johns point. I just skip the posts I don't care about while the moderators need to read every one. It could get old.

Realistically, how many completely new things are there on a 40 year old car though. It is more about what is interesting and cool. The same old basic stuff gets very repetitive.

Don't know about an Automotive 101 here. Seems to me, this site is not about that. Let that be in wiki or ....

This is the place to go to for the advanced and wild in the Z world. Let it be.

I think this is all getting blown out of proportion. I agree with JohnC on some things though. When you see a new post that is something stupid simple and is fully explained in the service manual it is frustrating. And I don't mean frustrating that there are already posts like it but if the person asking the question couldn't figure out how to navigate the manual then what will happen when you actually do give them good advice or insight, will it actually be followed. You know that friend that has a bf/gf that is cheating and you tell them to leave that person and next week it is the same conversation, that is how I believe some people feel like here. That they are just wasting time answering questions that are beat to death or is found in a manual. Or if you look in the forum that the question is posted that there is a similar post a few threads down.

The next thing, the search function. I used to hate the search function on here as well, then I realized that I was just using it wrong. I will tell you how I use it now and how it works for me, maybe it can help some or maybe not, who knows.

I never just type in something in the search button at the top of the page, I go to the advanced search. For example if I want to search about RB26 swaps, I would go to advanced, then check "search titles only," then go down to the forum that I want to search in. For this I would search the forums that I feel the information would be in. I would choose something like "members projects," and do the search. Then I would open up the topics I think will be useful, Then I would do the same on the "Nissan 6 cyl" forums, an so on. I really narrow my field sometimes to make sure I find the topics that I feel will be relevant and it was worked out soooo well for me lately. I hope it will help you all as well, if not then yeah, Google that chit.

Edited by _Donovan_

Everyone I refer to this forum I tell them all the same thing do go their asking stupid questions because you're going to get burned. Search and search with google then read the faq and then ask your question. I red for almost a year before I registered and started posting. I just guess the saying there is no stupid questions is not always true here. You will never get rid of the stupid questions but if every time someone asking a stupid question gets burned its the way to go just tell them this question has been answered and search its not long to write and if they don't understand then toolshed he thread. More stickys as mentionned above would greatly improve is their a way to force new members to go through faqs?

There has been a post on everything you would want or need to know about your datsun you insignifigant little question askers. Unless you are asking what the meaning of life is, or how the universe was started, use the search bar or I will smite you at your moment of vulnerability, and make you feel like the miserable worm you are.

I asked a few dumb questions throughout my years trying to better my z, and am VERY THANKFUL to the kind people were patient and posted the search bar, and told me welcome to the community. Who knows, being cast out from an internet forum site, that I was trying to gain knowledge from, may have snuffed my dwindling efforts to reach my goals.

There has been a post on everything you would want or need to know about your datsun you insignifigant little question askers. Unless you are asking what the meaning of life is, or how the universe was started, use the search bar or I will smite you at your moment of vulnerability, and make you feel like the miserable worm you are.

I asked a few dumb questions throughout my years trying to better my z, and am VERY THANKFUL to the kind people were patient and posted the search bar, and told me welcome to the community. Who knows, being cast out from an internet forum site, that I was trying to gain knowledge from, may have snuffed my dwindling efforts to reach my goals.

Of course this comment comes from wichita. lol I grew up in Ark city, I didnt even know people played with datsuns in kansas.

I commend JohnC for trying to keep HybridZ on the straight and narrow. It's hard to meet the needs of every skillset on the internet, especially through text. This problem isn't unique to this board and people will have varying levels of success in data mining. I agree the current search tool embedded in the site isn't as useful as it once was, but the google interface works pretty darned well. You just have to continue to manipulate your search terms. And the reality is that sometimes the answer just isn't out there. Sometimes...

Mike

Ok, I'm not sure how this forum is setup on a technical level, but what would it take to have a technical section directly linked to Hybridz like they have over at the Rangerstaion? I think the stickies/FAQ sections are a good place to start, but you still end up weeding through arguments, and a lot of 'wordy' discussion, even on the posts that are specifically built to be a "This is what I did, how I did it and the parts I used" type of post. I still refer to the Rangerstation's tech page as it's got lots of great info compiled into one easy to use page. (Kind of like AtlanticZ)

Is something like that even a possibility on this site, or is it just setup too differently?

I think a tech section could kill 50% of the posts "I have no spark" etc bologna that frustrates lots of people here. The other 50%...well I guess we could refer them to the tech section and lop off one of their hands or something.

We have tech sections. The problem is you have a number of "experts" with "strong opinions" and a lot of folks who are well intended. Short of pruning the respective threads per topic, per category, I don't know how you would clean it up. Remember, this is a NOT for profit site and the staff are all volunteers.

Mike

I'm with John. The FSM is the best way to go, but it can be kind of pricey, especially if you need more than one. (In my case: Nissan, Jaguar XJ6 and XJ12, and Chevy Cobalt) That being said, I believe questions easily answered from even a Haynes manual aren't really worth asking again and again. At least grab a wrench and don't ask until you are sure you can't fix your problem on your own.

I agree with all JohnC had to say, and tend to agree with the old farts around here. That said:

I find it CRAZY how poorly most people around my age (25 currently) can't find useful info. I've worked as a freelance computer/network repairman since I was 15 and if there's ONE thing I've learned, it's that in this day in age, all the information possible is available at your finger tips. This should lead one to conclude that the best worker isn't one who can remember the most information to pass a test, but the one that can best find information and put it to use. I'm paid $100 when I walk into a business to fix a computer problem not because I know everything, but because I know how to find everything, and how to apply that found knowledge.

All the same principles apply here at hybridz. It's never about knowing enough to fit in, it's about knowing how to find information to learn to see things the way the experts do. My goal in life isn't to understand every detail of everything, but to know how to find the applicable details of what I need at the moment.

Luckily I have a decent memory and CAN do quite a lot of different things without references all the time. I'm a jack of all trades guy. My mother in law actually said just a few weeks ago after finding out I had a photography gig "Is there anything you don't do?" This isn't because I'm a genius, I'm not. It's because I know how to find people of high caliber and LISTEN and PAY ATTENTION. And that's what I've been doing here since I was 14. Reading!!!! I lurked for over a year before a became a member and I wish more young people would do the same.

Its an ongoing battle, what is acceptable and what isn't. Unfortunately it's never just black and white. I think there is a bad combination of lazy people asking to be spoon fed, and elitists that get their rocks off by standing on the backs of others. Thankfully most here don't fall into either side and we can share and learn from each other. I'm here to learn, and help others when I am able. The majority of people I see here are like that. We also have very knowledgeable people that enjoy helping others, and members here have unselfishly went far beyond any expectations to help me. Some people just offered moral support, and it was just as helpful as technical info at times to have that human element. So while you are thinking about what you dislike on here, take an equal amount of time to think of the things you do like. Do not become unbalanced in your thinking. Imbalance leads to sickness.

Edited by Heroez

Hey guys, will 22X16 wheels with a +93 offset fit inside stock 260zx fenders without rubbing? And, what's the best coilover kit to really slam my car (I don't really car if the car is driveable, I just want it to look really cool)? Show pictures and be really specific. Trick or treat! :D

FSM Pricey? Ha, just go download your year FSM at xenons30 s30 resource page for free, they pretty much are only missing 70 and 71. If more people would at least LOOK at it and TRY to understand it they wouldn't have to come here and piss off everyone to the point they don't even feel like or have a chance to help people with REAL problems and technical questions...

There are always going to be people asking stupid questions and getting yelled at by old hags, and there are always going to be people asking "acceptable" questions and getting yelled at by old hags.

One day.... maybe one day.... every classic Z owner will have downloaded an FSM, and learned to read for themselves.

This is only my third post on this forum even though I've been here for years, because I know how forums work, and yeah I know how forums work lol. Virtually 100% of the time when there is a dumb question asked someone has already screamed at them for me lol.

Edited by sparrow6190