HybridZ

HybridZ Is Not Automotive 101

johnc

My favorite silly post lately has been replies to classifieds: "I buy that part in a heartbeat, if I had the money." Huh?? These are the same folks who voted in the current President (his name must go un-spoken): "I'd like to

get paid, but I don't want to get off my butt and go to work." I mean, isn't it

implied that those responding to a classified should have the money to buy the listed part or service? I should start a thread called "HybridZ is not Reality 101." Most of the guys I'm dealing with, however, are straight up.

I'd much rather deal with somebody on this forum than with ebay, and very, very lastly craigslist. We really have a good community here - thanks Admins!

Hey guys, will 22X16 wheels with a +93 offset fit inside stock 260zx fenders without rubbing? And, what's the best coilover kit to really slam my car (I don't really car if the car is driveable, I just want it to look really cool)? Show pictures and be really specific. Trick or treat! :D

It depends, what color is your truck? :P

I will neg myself for asking those type of dumb questions in the past I'm just glad I know a lot more now because of this forum I can see it does get annoying to answer the same questions over and over and admins always have delete the post or put it in its proper place. All I will say is that as long as this forum is up it will keep happening, i'm also on another forum like community.ratsun.net and I see far worse spam, people trying to bring up political, life issues etc. There has been a rise of spam post that have nothing to do with the site just scam artist doing there regular scams tricks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think new members should have to write a short essay, about themsleves, background and mechical knowledege. Before being allowed to start a new topic, It would be an application. hybridz is open for everyone to search, but only those who have something to contribute could post. I heard of an mustang fourm that does this.

That assumes they will be honest.

Then again, some jackarses forget that some of us travel, and actually try to MEET other members... I've called more than one out on BS they've posted on boards here and elsewhere. It's amazing how face to face people turn into "less" confident and "less" skilled. Real like. Ain't it a byatch!

Mike

• Like 1

I kind of like jnewby's idea. Kind of like a resume' forum for members, so you can research somebody before you make an ass of yourself. I've met some really cool folks on this forum and look forward to as many face-to-face meetings as I can. The first hybridz member that I ever met was Terry Oxendale (Blue Oval Z) when I was in medical school - I just happened to see his garage door open when I was driving around after class one day. And the rest is history! I've had some super phone conversations with folks who helped me understand some problem in my LS swap or my diff/axle upgrades. We've got a lot of really cool members who have some amazing fabrication skills and some pretty impressive engineering credentials. I think the toughest part of being a car enthusiast is learning your limits and figuring out where you fit in. For example, I can't expect johnc, Mikelly or CobraMatt to put up with me much because I'm a hobbyist just having fun and they are in the real-deal high-end road race set. However, they have been super nice sharing info and experience. The super high horsepower drag set is equally entitiled to get annoyed with me because I have a limit to how much power mods I want to do, but guys like jnjdragracing, and 1QUICKZ have been super cool. Similarly, I have a hard time putting up with the low-rider set, because I have more of a performance bent where my z-car is concerned. On a custom forum, I'm all about lowriders, and on a hot rod forum I'm all about highboys and chopped coupes. Once you understand yourself and the people around you, you kind of know where you fit in. I want to help other folks, but I don't reply to posts that I don't actually know something about (after 20 years with one z-car) or have some first hand experience with-no reason for folks to keep making the same mistakes. I still have tons to learn. Like how to be brief.

The cranky old dipshits had to learn the hard way before the internet was invented.Knowledge was gained by by hard work and sacrafice-probably by doing **** jobs as an apprentice for another cranky old dipshit.The video game generation wants to be spoon fed thier free info.

Well its a sign of the times. That's like saying you prefer to have your speedometer set via resistors rather than having a fancy self-calibrating one. While I understand and respect the "ITS NOT FAIR, 'CAUSE IN MY DAY," argument I think we should all be MORE humbled by the fact that we have encyclopedias at our fingertips. No longer do you have to break your back, proverbially of course. Edited by MazerRackham

The goal wouldn't be to turn people away from the forum. It would be to prevent members from starting wars, and new members from asking already covered questions. I don't think anyone would want to re-write an essay, and by essay I mean 1 paragraph. It would also eliminate any spammers. admission wouldn't be granted on anything but, Can this member use some what proper grammar? The prospective member that cant make the effort to try to type a paragraph using some what proper format, should not have the right to post on this fourm.

Holy Moley . Can you imagine having to read and be the 'allmighty' for the forum? What a job that would be! What do you do then with all the members who are here already with bad grammer and little knowledge? In all fairness, it's fun to blow smoke about this stuff, but is any thing like this feasable? I try my best to be responsible and give only well researched answers, etc, but I wouldn't have passed the HybridZ101 admission test back in the day when I first joined. (Second car ever owned, not a mechanic, not a racer, etc....)

I think the resume mentioned by RebekahsZ would be interesting, however isn't that what the user's profile is for? I often look at previous posts, threads started, and whatever other information was volunteered in their bio. (However as I just tried to check 'jnewby's profile as an example, the 'About Me' tab gives the following humorously ironic result, "Error: Could not load template 'tabAboutMe' from group 'profile'".)

I think new members should have to write a short essay, about themsleves, background and mechical knowledege. Before being allowed to start a new topic, It would be an application. hybridz is open for everyone to search, but only those who have something to contribute could post. I heard of an mustang fourm that does this.

Jnewby, which Mustang forum does this? I want to see how it's laid out and see what you have to go through to register. (I have a '65 Mustang and a Mustang engine in my Z, so at least ownership shouldn't be an issue.)

This topic has become absurd and resembles more of a forum "Chimping Out" than anything else.

Go here for example forum Chimp Out: http://njhurst.com/blog/01176515519

The administrators are doing a fine job of filtering out the BS questions.

Most people get a clue after their posts go unanswered or sent to the Tool Shed. Some will wise up. Some will self -select out and go to other Z sites more comensurate with their skill level.

Time to lock this thread out.

Edited by Miles

I filled out my About me tab, just for you Miles. I just had an suggestion, I am not trying to suggest to turn this site into something that represents eliteism, more of a "are you a person who can read and comprehend logical thought" "are you a spammer" and why not make their essay their about me tab, so no one has to wonder who a person is. If you read some of my previous post then you know that I joined this site when I was in high school, and I posted things that I am not proud of now. I agree lock this thread

IIRC, the turbo forum had something similar to the above concept. I had to post in the "about me and my build" thread which was supposedly reviewed by admins before I was allowed to post in the other forums. I thought it was a good idea. My most recent frustration was a post in the v8 forum about a carb choke. The poster just wanted to be handed information. Did not appear to know the difference between manual and electric choke etc. I am 29 so I may be just slightly older than the newest wave of "entitlement" youngsters, but It has gotten out of hand. I am 100% behind JohnC on this one.

There is SO much valuable information on this site, and to be able to have an archive like this that isn't diluted by idiot posts is priceless. I am not without a couple of dumb questions, and mostly regretted them as soon as I went back and read them. All you have to do is go look at some of the other z websites to really appreciate the members and admins of this forum.

That assumes they will be honest.

Then again, some jackarses forget that some of us travel, and actually try to MEET other members... I've called more than one out on BS they've posted on boards here and elsewhere. It's amazing how face to face people turn into "less" confident and "less" skilled. Real like. Ain't it a byatch!

Mike

Even better calling them out for a field calibration on a torque wrench, and when they realise whou you actually ARE ("uh, ahhh, is this Tony D?") and the caller I.D. From your hotel has not only the correct area code, but the same PREFIX...

Oh, yeah! I love the guys who claim "you're one of those guys!" But like someone said at an MSA event a few years ago: "Holy Sh*t! You REALLY DO talk like that face-to-face!" (At the same event someone came over to point out three youngsters scurrying away and said "Were some guys named (Gave Screen Names of three guys) supposed to meet up with you? They were like "Is that Tony D? He doesn't look like the photos on the Internet!" They had come to "set me straight, forcibly"... But decided, apparently I was somehow not fat, out of shape, and old as dirt (anybody who knows can testify I am!) and took to the hills without so much as an introduction! I think the last contact I'd had with any of them online was to give them my location during the show (260 Island) and say "after you kick my arse, I will buy you a beer!"

Maybe I should have offered a shot, some people don't like beer...I'm so insensitive.

Well its a sign of the times. That's like saying you prefer to have your speedometer set via resistors rather than having a fancy self-calibrating one. While I understand and respect the "ITS NOT FAIR, 'CAUSE IN MY DAY," argument I think we should all be MORE humbled by the fact that we have encyclopedias at our fingertips. No longer do you have to break your back, proverbially of course.

Missing the point, totally. I don't think it's a generational thing, but there IS a component common in all people complaining about achieves or holders of knowledge and those that don't yet have it: drive and desire.

If you want information, do not make out like you're ENTITLED to it!

I think Randy77ZT makes a valid point, but neglects one facet of those days: you STILL had to ASK SOMEONE!

The scene in Christine where the guy lets Arnie Cunningham work on the car in his shop is a good example. The guy had been through the war (literally) and wanted to help the kid... But he wanted the young punk to know UP FRONT what the rules were...and as long as he abided by them, he could be very generous.

Arnie, as demonised as Steven King tried to make him showed due deference because he realised without that old man and his shop, he would never get his dream going (demonic possession feats of mechanical rejuvenation notwithstanding.)

If you think you will get knowledge without breaking your back, without toil, without hassle...

All I can say is you aren't dedicated, don't have the drive, and likely won't finish the project. Or if you o, it won't be he best it old be...a 12 second car with all the same parts as another seemingly identical car that turns 9's.

If you have drive, and a thirst for learning, you WILL break your back getting every bit f information you can. My nephew runs a 9second Malibu... People continually bug him for the tricks he employs... He routinely blows them off. Why? He didn't get spark plugs thrown at his head. He didn't work LOF for a year till an opening in heavy overhaul opened up.

No, he was a GenX or Y kid, grew up with computers. The reason he acts just like like those grizzled old codgers? His words were prophetic:

"I didn't do anything special. I asked a lot of questions, watched what other guys did, and I spent every single possible second I could researching everything I could find on he Internet about how to do this! It's not hard, it just takes time busting your a$$ learning everything you can. I tell them 'look on the Internet, all the information is out there!' And they get all P.O. at me or not spilling 3,000 hours research at nights, on weekends, at work, into a 15 minute magic formula to go 9 seconds in a Malibu! I busted my ass, it's not hard, but you have to WORK for it--it's all out here, you just have to look!"

"I didn't do anything special. I asked a lot of questions, watched what other guys did, and I spent every single possible second I could researching everything I could find on he Internet about how to do this! It's not hard, it just takes time busting your a$$ learning everything you can. I tell them 'look on the Internet, all the information is out there!' And they get all P.O. at me or not spilling 3,000 hours research at nights, on weekends, at work, into a 15 minute magic formula to go 9 seconds in a Malibu! I busted my ass, it's not hard, but you have to WORK for it--it's all out here, you just have to look!"

So true. One of my biggest frustrations is when I sit down and take 30 minutes, or much more sometimes, to write a post trying to help someone out, and then  few hours later they respond with something that makes me think they didn't even read it... This to me shows exactly what your nephew said. If people aren't willing to INVEST, with HARD WORD, to SPEND THE TIME to LEAN SOMETHING then even spoon feeding them simply doesn't work. There's no magic bullet and to let people think there is a magic bullet is just cruelty.

• Like 1

So true. One of my biggest frustrations is when I sit down and take 30 minutes, or much more sometimes, to write a post trying to help someone out, and then  few hours later they respond with something that makes me think they didn't even read it... This to me shows exactly what your nephew said. If people aren't willing to INVEST, with HARD WORD, to SPEND THE TIME to LEAN SOMETHING then even spoon feeding them simply doesn't work. There's no magic bullet and to let people think there is a magic bullet is just cruelty.

Agreed 100%

Anything worth having never comes easy.

It's a labor of love. Some have it, others; don't.

And I mean c'mon...We live in the age of the internet....5 minutes and Google have answered near ALL my life's questions.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

The only other thing I'll add is this...

I "teach" people how to search complex queries using boolean logic at my customer site.  I also write technical documentation in support of the software applications our customers use in searching large data sets.  More often than not, the issue is how a person constructs their query.  Rather than asking "Why" nobody responded to your question, you might want to go back and look at the content, and what it is you're asking.  You may find that the answer was one or two search terms OFF from your intended search results.  All that said, there have been one or two times I've searched for data and found that there simply wasn't a "current" answer to it, because nobody else was doing what I was trying to do.

Mike

My favourite at another forum was to click and paste the wannabe spooner's post DIRECTLY in the search box...

In those days, 9 out of 10 times the EXACT answer came up in the top ten hits.

I mean, what do you do with that?

My favourite at another forum was to click and paste the wannabe spooner's post DIRECTLY in the search box...

In those days, 9 out of 10 times the EXACT answer came up in the top ten hits.

I mean, what do you do with that?

LOL, I remember one point when I was making several changes and trying to document some of it because I thought people might find it interesting.  Somebody wanted me to make one change at a time and dyno test each change so that _they_ could know which changes were most effective.  Do I look like the f-ing Underwriters Labratories??

That, or like Tony's nephew, people wanting to know exhausting details on "my setup" when there's no way in hell they are ever going to use any of the info, except maybe to mis-quote it later.

I'm dubious on the idea of requiring posting some sort of resume before people are allowed to post, though.  As others pointed out some will lie about their experience, and others will simply have an inflated notion of what they know (present company excluded of course! :P ).  

Also I'm not real keen about using what I do for a living as a reason that people should listen to me. If I can't put together a logical premise and defend it then that will come across quickly enough.  I don't pay close attention to Tony or John or Peter at PMC (to name a few) just because of what they've put in their profile - I pay attention to them because of the hundreds (or thousands) of well thought out and informative posts that they've made.  You don't have to watch for long to understand who is who.

Edited by TimZ