HybridZ

EDIS Coil On Plug Setup Help

EvilC

Finally got the my engine (newly built 3 liter)started and idle with some imput from the gas pedal and oil pressure has built up. BUT the engine only runs when I have spark plug 1-2-3 connected or 4-5-6. Either combo will start the engine but not all connected at the same time. I have comfirmed timing almost 10 times now. I am attempting to start this car without the MegaJolt hooked up as EDIS should run at 10 degrees BTDC as its default setting. I have confirmed spark from each coil. I do a backfire through the carbs when I have all spark plugs are connected. Just to make sure voltage wasn't an issue, I have the 12 volt and ground source coming right from the battery. I did switch the wire around yesterday to get the correct firing order of EDIS - ACB (coil A has cylinder 1 n 6) (coil B has cylinder 2 & 5) (coil C has cylinder 3 & 4). Second issue is, after the engine running for a seconds there is more coolant around the head. I plan on head cycling the engine a few times before I am forced to pull the back off. On another side note - did a quick compression test I am getting a range from 115-150, normal? I know the engine has not been run yet and this was before I actually got her fired over.

I have been hitting my head against the wall the last 24 hours thinking about this, lol.

Thanks for any input.

I really wish I could help you with your edis problem but as far as compression goes 115 is not good even for a turbo motor. 150 on the other hand sounds better but like you said, the motor hasn't been broken in yet. What ou really want to look for in this situation more than high compression numbers are consistent numbers. My Na build was at 90 psi after the first 100 miles getting higher eventually to 140. You have your plugs on the right cylinders though.

Ok with some reading and talking with Rags, I believe we found where I went wrong. I should have read more of 1 fast Z post because the answer was right in my face.

So to run waste spark the coils have to be in series not parallel like I have them wired. I will try to come up with a nice picture of this but in text form see below:

12v+ source--------------- + side of coil 1 - side of coil 1 -------------- + side of coil 6 - side of coil 6 -----------EDIS-A

12v+ source--------------- + side of coil 5 - side of coil 5 -------------- + side of coil 2 - side of coil 2 -----------EDIS-C

12v+ source--------------- + side of coil 3 - side of coil 3 -------------- + side of coil 4 - side of coil 4 -----------EDIS-B

Will report back once I head to Cygnusx1 house but may be a few days.

• 2 weeks later...