HybridZ

7M-GE distributor used as cam sensor

AkumaNoZeta

I have a 7M-GE that I plan on having ITBs and one day hopefully a turbo of some kind. I was looking to invest in a MS3X module. I was looking at the Nippondenso part of the documents here http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger-wheel.html#dualwheelcam and it seems that if I use the GE distributor as a cam sensor that I can run sequential fuel with coil on plugs while the GTE cam sensor that everybody uses only allows bank firing.

I would like to know what you guys think of this. I did count the bottom (crank) gear and it does have 24 teeth with none missing, but the top (cam) gear has an asymmetrical shape and I didn't know if this would interfere with the MS3 because I've been Googling all over and haven't found any Supra guys doing this. I attached a photo of the gears.

post-3229-053003000 1351563778_thumb.jpg

If you can grind the cam reluctor wheel down to just a single tooth wheel and modify the 24 tooth reluctor wheel to simulate a 12 minus 1 at crank speed then it is entirely possible. You can definitely run it in batch fire with ms2 but then again thats not what you asked. Also regarding the cam reluctor, you should put a scope on it to see what the wave looks like. You MIGHT be able to use it as a cam sensor unmodified if it looks like a single tooth wheel. Looks like fun. Ive always wanted to megasquirt my 7MGTE.

Well, it looks like a 1 tooth cam gear to me but the irregular surface makes me wonder if it has an affect. Reasoning tells me that the single tooth would be the only thing close enough to the G1/G2 pickup but I'm not 100% since I don't have the experience as many of you.

Well, it looks like a 1 tooth cam gear to me but the irregular surface makes me wonder if it has an affect. Reasoning tells me that the single tooth would be the only thing close enough to the G1/G2 pickup but I'm not 100% since I don't have the experience as many of you.

Yeah.... the irregular shape is what is throwing me off too, thats why I mentioned seeing what it looks like on a scope. It probably is but like you im inexperienced in this area. Sorry I couldnt help you more.

The 7M cam sensor unit works well with the MS3. I set up one on a 2JZ with a 7M CAS installed. Yes, it fits. Use the 24 tooth wheel and reluctor for the CAS, Set up for 12 teeth/crank revolution. There are two cam sensors included, 180 degrees out from each other. One pulses ~90 degrees before #1 TDC, the other is ~ 450 degrees.

Removing a tooth from the CAS wheel is definitely not recommended nor required.