HybridZ

Green Machine online Logbook

I planned this to be the last event for  the little green motor.

It served well and really only needs a better Dizzy drive, then can be backup motor.  

But I am done with Dizzys now.  Have BHJ dampers with 60-2 wheels or some such witchcraft for the next motor.

Sticking with L motors for a while.  The sound. 

Sticking with Carbs for a while.. The history

Sticking with NA for a while... cuz its harder and just plain cooler.

2015?  Hmmm...  Supercharged L32

I planned this to be the last event for  the little green motor.

It served well and really only needs a better Dizzy drive, then can be backup motor.  

But I am done with Dizzys now.  Have BHJ dampers with 60-2 wheels or some such witchcraft for the next motor.

Sticking with L motors for a while.  The sound. 

Sticking with Carbs for a while.. The history

Sticking with NA for a while... cuz its harder and just plain cooler.

2015?  Hmmm...  Supercharged L32

I'm with you on all 3 counts! I'm running triples and Megajolt crank-triggered ignition in a Z, it's one of my favorite upgrades. All said and done, it ran me maybe $500. I know Lazeum on this forum is also running a similar setup. That BHJ damper sounds like an awesome piece.

You buy mine. I have (4) BZ3099 Illuminas coming off my car in the next week or two. One of them is dead in rebound. Two are 15 years old, two are two years old. I guess i will toss the dead one. PM me if interested, or I might put them on eBay with a reserve. I'm koni bound.

I have Illuminas now (BZ3099 & BZ3015?) 

Its what comes after this.   I will likely run them another year as they are not the limiting factor yet haha..

How you know one is dead?

My left rear makes a clicking noise.  Need to pull it and have a discussion with it..

When I push down the shock it just jumps right back up like a rocket. The good ones move up slowly. When it blew, I had oil all over the place. I just cleaned up the oil and kept going. It blew with the car sitting in the garage. I came out to go for a drive and there was oil on the ground by the front tire. Thought I had a bad wheel cylinder/caliper. Oil had poured out of the top of the strut around the strut rod. But the other three are still good. Springs are stiff enough that as a novice driver the car drives fine. Makes me a skeptic about how important expensive shocks really are. But again-I'm a novice driver. I can't tell that the car ever drove any differently with the shocks on 1or 5. There are so many factors in how a car "handles.". I still think the best mod i ever made for how the car handles was a good drivers seat! I try to play the game just the same. Maybe I will be a national champ next year since I'm investing $1000 in shocks this winter! Probably not.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I bought the single adjustable konis. They are $209 from Summit, but I paid a bit more from johnc in order to enjoy the great customer support. Already glad-he's been really helpful with my car over the time I have owned it. And I ask lots of stupid questions. There are always lots of little issues where I enjoy his advice and you can't put a price tag on that.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Awesome to follow the green monster...

I'm about 3 months away from firing up my 3.0L Rebello w/ triple mikuni's. After reading this, it makes me want to order the goods to get my green monster started! Best of luck with your next motor!

I was re-reading JohnC's writeup I followed for BZ3099 and BZ3015 coilover install.

Comparing the dimensions for the Koni shocks it looks like the rears are identical and the fronts could be installed with just a small spacer to position them where the Tokicos used to be.

I think I would have to open the tube ID a bit since my Tokicos were snug to install.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a clutch solution,  my racing brothers.

I prefer indestructible vs rebuilding every 3 or 4 weekends.

I can spend whatever.  Past $1000 bucks I am choking.

Right now I have a 12lb "Arizona Zcar" flywheel which takes 225 or 240mm clutch.

Or I can dump that and go new flywheel / clutch combo.

Help...  Too many options.  Looking for the "Buy it Yesterday" button

There was a guy at an autocross last year near Memphis who had a 1st series 240z that weighed under 2000#. I want to say he had it down to 1989# but I'm not positive on that figure. That is with a 3.5 Nissan V6, steel hood and hatch with an auto power roll cage. He was racing in FP class.

I need a clutch solution,  my racing brothers.

I prefer indestructible vs rebuilding every 3 or 4 weekends.

I can spend whatever.  Past $1000 bucks I am choking.

Right now I have a 12lb "Arizona Zcar" flywheel which takes 225 or 240mm clutch.

Or I can dump that and go new flywheel / clutch combo.

Help...  Too many options.  Looking for the "Buy it Yesterday" button

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/products/os-giken-ts-series-twin-plate-clutch-kit-used-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx/

Its used but less than 1000$ something to get you started on with a twin plate setup. Just probably needs the disc's changed out ...

I have been talked off the ultralight twin disk setup in favor of a ultra durable system that I can abuse.

I don't have a full winch-up trailer yet and 2014 is a learning year for me and the car so this is probably a wiser choice  (Blah!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...