HybridZ

Other V6 Engines In Z31

JGug1

Given the immense progress in the development of V6 engines in both power and efficiency, I am considering a late model American engine/transmission for my '88 Z31.I've done a brief look through the history here but only found references to V35de swaps. I don't know that there is any particular advantage to using a late model Nissan engine rather than a Ford V6, for example. What have others done and do others perceive advantages to using a late model Z engine?

By the way, I ended up with the project car while looking for a fender for my '87Z, since sold. It had a relatively rare in my experience, factory blue color and was just too sound and straight to part out. Many thousands of dollars later, because even VERY sound cars that have been sitting for 5 years (rabbit living under the hood) require considerable work, the car has just come out of the paint shop.

If someone will advise on how to add pictures, I'd love to share some with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JGug1, Well I'm a big fan of the VQ engines. They were highly rated for the past 10 years. Look up the Wiki on VQ engines, you'll learn a lot about them. As for other V6 engines, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another V6 that matches the specs. If you want to go with an American engine, Consider the V6 out of the Jeep liberty, it's a modern engine, but has about 80 hp less than the VQ according to the wiki on it, even though it's .3 L larger. My point is that before you decide on an engine, make sure you know what you're putting in. I don't know too much about the Ford V6 engine, but from what I've read, the Ecoboost V6 w/ twin turbo looks pretty stout. An engine like that in a Z might be pretty nice.

The big thing you should consider is to get as complete a donor as possible. Getting just the engine poses a huge number of sensor issues. on a newer engine like the Ecoboost, you won't know exactly what's required when you just get the engine only. Even with the ECU, you won't know what else is required unless you can find a guide which is rare on a newer engine. That's why the complete donor, you'll have matched parts that worked before, so it shouldn't be hard to move it over. Other big consideration, is will it fit? in an S30, the engine compartment was designed for a V8, so a lot fits in it. The Z31 was designed around the VG30, so you've got a lot fewer options as to what will fit. you may have a lot more modification to do to fit a ford V6. That being said, I would LOVE to see an ecoBoost v6 engine in a Z...

Whats wrong with using the factory VG30 engine? A turbocharged VG30E(T) would be the simplest and easiest way to what ever your power goals may be. If you are dead set on swapping the engine look into either a VQ35DE or VH45DE, both have been swapped in and they are relatively simple and affordable swaps compared to others out there.

Edited by RedBeauty84ZX

• 1 year later...

Here we are two years down the road and I have been driving my Z31, happily, devoting money to other projects and only thinking from time to time about an engine in the Blue Z31. However, I drove it to Denver from KC a few weeks ago and while it was a joy to drive, I noticed that my oil pressure was lower than I usually see on the way back. I do not know the history of the engine but the car has over 150,000 miles on it. If the engine has not been replaced....where am I and can I count on it to drive long distances? I am beginning to really think about an engine. An interesting side note: I have a 2.3 Turbo Thunderbird project MGB that will be running, probably by end of January. This engine fascinates me because that turbo 4 pushed a car a thousand pounds bigger than the MGB and I think the B is going to be a winner with the engine....I have given passing considerationj to using the second 2.3 engine I own in the Z.......But, I can't bring myself to put the 4 Cyl in the car, even though I can easily get over 300 hp out of it, VERY EASILY.  So, I continue to think about the Mustang V6. I know.......I really do konw that I could stay Nissan. Something is keeping me from doing it. Oh, I've searched and searched to find a way to post pictures...I THINK I have figured out how to do it. So, if so, here are three pictures of my Blue Z and as a bonus, an underhood shot of the Turbo 2.3 in my MGB

post-29010-0-07508400-1417659745_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Do what u want - after all it is Hybrid Z. The oil pressure sending units are notorious for /low

false pressure readings and if it is old put in a new one. U might be surprised. Especially an NA that has been taken care of should be good for 200K or better.

Edited by 85zxt