HybridZ

header problem

AZGhost

So we got the header mocked up on the engine from thezstore.com, and we have the cannon in take on the head as well. You can see the header is slightly thicker than the intake. There is about an 1/8th of an inch difference. The stud kit we got with it as well, came with no washers weirdly enough. We think washers need to be used in order to torque down the manifolds together. No? (Thats what it looks like on my old engine anyways) We can build a step down washer if needed, but we think it should just all bolt together... I sent an email over to the zstore to see whats up.

What do you guys think? Is this normal there should be some fitment adjustment? Dont get me wrong, these headers are beautiful, and nice and thick. Definately some quality here, but on the mounting it just has an issue lining up.

20121123 145857

Header THICKER than the manifold.. Now there is a new one!

Thick washers are employed to clamp the two manifolds together.

I don't know of any aftermarket kit that contains washers, they all require you to re-use your original manifold washers.

I would say standard fare for American Built Stuff. I never cut a washer with any FET, Trust, HKS, etc header or intake manifold.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit that after 40 years header manufacturers finally realised their cheap flanges isn't work, and made them the proper thickness, while concurrently Canon decided to thin up their manifold flanges to match the crap flanges on American Headers or years!

The required torque should not be enough to deflect the stud. Overtorque it, and all bets are off...

Edited by Tony D

I have a turbo manifold that was warped, and I had the flange milled flat. I carefully ground half of each of the washers to make up the difference in thickness between the intake and exhaust, at least 1/8" in some spots. Both manifolds have held running 15# of boost with no leaks in 10 years.

Nigel

So I called up MSA on Monday. Someone was supposed to tell me the washers were separate when I ordered it they said (was a phone order)... So I have 6 step down washers coming to me whenever they get back in stock... Another week or so waiting, not a big deal, I got way too much going on right now with this build on other parts of the car. Spent a day and a half pulling apart the entire front end on this thing and reassembling it. Now its onto the rear...