HybridZ

Fuel Consumption

Your getting 16-17 mpg which seems a bit low (or even normal depending on the car) but not "OMG what happened". What was your average fuel economy before? Start with the basics like tire pressure, air filter, spark plugs. If those check out inspect the fuel lines attached to the tank, they seem to get neglected and mine actually leaked a bit. Beyond those simple things you start looking at the fuel injection system

Unless he took less than an hour on a highway, that's crap mileage.below 85mph, that car should get mid 20's easily.

If this was in-town driving I might agree its nothing to get upset over. But for a highway trip that's a considerable drop. If you were 55-65mph average I'd expect 25-27mpg.

Check the basics, including what it took on similar journeys... But generally a quick drop like this on the highway is a sign the O2 sensor has gone bye bye...

When mine went away, I retrofitted a self-heating unit from a Z31 tied into the Fuel Pump Relay Circuit. Car gets into, and stays in Closed Loop MUCH longer with a heated sensor netting fuel mileage gains, primarily in-town where it may never get hot enough between stop lights to go into closed loop, and you stay on the preprogrammed fuel map (full power safe-rich) all the time.