HybridZ

280z Rusted Driver Side Floor Panel

Zmanj87

So I pulled the carpet back on the driver side and I noticed a section of the floor panel is rusted and there is a small fracture that I've highlighted within the circle..

Jv7o0.jpg

As you can see from the picture its not to bad so I was wondering what you guys would suggest? Cutting it out and patch it by welding sheet metal? My buddy will do it for 200 bucks. Or should I just paint it over with Evapo and put Bondo over it?

If its rusted that bad would a welding patch job be good enough for it or should I buy and new Floor Panel and replace the whole thing?

Look at it this way:

If you can't see it, it was never painted.

If it was never painted, it'll surely have developed at least a little rust in 40 years.

If it's developed a little rust in 40 years, then what about the places that developed a LOT of rust??

You should 100% defiantly remove the interior tar. Dry ice works well, or being that it is getting cold outside I would say go outside on a very cold day. Being in Florida might make this difficult, yes? If its rusted through enough to have a small hole there, there is more rust across the floor. A patch would be fine, but make sure you take the surrounding metal down to bare and be positive that there isn't any more rust, then prep the metal correctly to be sure there isn't any other rust left before primer and paint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dry ice on the tar? how do you do that?

have been using a 2" metal scraper.. gently hammering it under the tar layer and popping it up... works well in most places... but leaves a lot of small remnants.

It began with the intention of a thorough cleaning of my "rust free car" now the entire interior is removed and there is a 1" hole in the passenger side foot well area. I guess that's not too bad.

The thing I learned from my experience (still on-going) is - don't bother to remove the surface rust unless you will prime it or treat it within 24 hours... or you will have to do it again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If there is a rust spot like that, i guarantee there is more rust on the floor pan. If you have the time an energy to replace the entire floor pan, go for it. If not you have two alternatives that My brother did with his car.

-Either you clean up the rust as best you can, Use a wire brush and scrub it hard, then spray it with a rust inhibitor you can buy at any auto store. Then buy some FIBER GLASS bondo and smother it all over the hole, this will hold for a decent amount of time and flex so it wont crack, plus keep water out.

-Or, you can cut out a square of where the rust spot it and replace it with a piece of sheet metal. I wouldnt suggest doing full beads on the weld, it will more than likely burn the metal. Just tack weld every centimeter or so, then cover up the holes around the weld with fiber glass bondo. 

Keep in mind my brother is no expert here on welding or fixing rust, these are just a few options for a budget fix

My brother also used a chisel and hammer to remove the tar padding, actually worked very well. 

Edited by stravi757

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue on my car. It looked like just a small hole, but the more metal I exposed, the more rust and holes I found. I have now replaced the majority of the drivers side floor pan and now finishing up the whole passenger side to include part of the frame rail. What it looks like on the surface is just a small indication of whats under all the paint, tar... These cars were not made with very thick metal to begin with, so when the rust starts it spreads like wild fire and eats through just as fast.

I would expose as much as you can and replace the bad metal, don't patch it.