HybridZ
Zfan1

4L80E Question

Well got it apart and it ate the front planetaries, sprag, bearing and some clutches got glazed. My transmission is getting a rebuild now.  I sent my billet 9.5" converter back to Edge for a re-tweek.  Going for closer to 3600-3800 now. Supposed to have everything back by Friday....fingers crossed!

Been gone a while I guess. We fabricated our mount for the 4L80E and had to make room for the trans control plug on the drivers side. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. I am now going twin turbo with my 436 LSX and converting over to E85, it never ends...lol

Mike

My LS3 circuit 280ZX has a 4L85E manually shifted behind it, while it's OK the shifts take a while to get the heavy internals moving, it's overall a heavy transmission and engine braking is poor. Compared with what's available in modern performance cars it's an old tech lump. As soon as I can come up with a practical alternative, possibly a Ford/ZF 6R80, the 85 will be put in a museum. It's a pity that you people are not demanding more from your aftermarket transmissions because it sure as hell suits GM for you to be happy with the old inefficient stuff. Plus it makes it hard for those of us who want something better.