HybridZ

Ridiculous Amounts of Condensation

Pac_Man

Hi all,

I have a '76 280z that's essentially bone stock. When I started driving yesterday, I had a couple drips of water fall on me. Condensation on my windows is nothing new to me, but when I looked up, I noticed that there were a bunch of water droplets hanging on my headliner! They were almost all right above the driver seat.

I'm getting the feeling that this isn't normal, and probably isn't very healthy for the headliner. I'm pretty sure I have a leak in the firewall that goes to the driver side floor, but I don't think that would cause it? Do I just have to replace all of the weatherstip gaskets around the car?

Thanks,

- Pac_Man

The condensation on the ceiling probably came from evaporation from the floor. Remove your carpets or you will lose your floorpans. I've never been able to get the water to stop coming thru my inner door panels. If you have water on the passenger side floor, remove the cowl and look inside on the passenger side for rust around the "chimney" where the heater gets its air - popular rust-out location. I've been running without carpets for 20 years due to water leaks, but my floor pans look great!

The condensation on the ceiling probably came from evaporation from the floor. Remove your carpets or you will lose your floorpans. I've never been able to get the water to stop coming thru my inner door panels. If you have water on the passenger side floor, remove the cowl and look inside on the passenger side for rust around the "chimney" where the heater gets its air - popular rust-out location. I've been running without carpets for 20 years due to water leaks, but my floor pans look great!

That makes sense. I have checked the passenger side but it always seems to be dry. Is there a common place for the driver side to leak through that I could check? There's no space in the garage and I live in the Pacific Northwest so it rains here pretty consistently.

Thanks for the advice.

I feel that the leak is coming through the firewall, though. I haven't seen any water leaks through the windshield since I used silicon sealer around the passenger side top corner.

Is it difficult to check the firewall for where it may be leaking?

Driver side, hmmmm. Windshield and doors are still first choice always, but. Cowl is still high on list too. There is a lap joint between the firewall and the cowl that has seam sealer in it. That can lose the sealer or rust out. You check that by removing cowl and looking in. Also possible to leak where the cowl drains and vent tubes come thru. Throw out your carpets and paint your floor. It is very liberating!! While you are chasing drips I'm at the dragstrip having a blast.

Thanks for the tips.

As much as I'd love to rip my car apart and pretty much repaint everything, I don't have the luxury of time, space, money, or tools to do so.

I realized I forgot to add that I get fog inside of my gauges sometimes while driving. Never really consistent as far as which gauge. I've also seen a drop of water in the bottom driver side corner of the windshield. It's only a single drop when I see it so I don't see it often, and I shrugged it off the last couple of times I did. Now I'm wondering if that is a sign that the water is in fact getting in through the windshield?