HybridZ

what to do? re: window rubber on door chrome

Ya, but you're not going to like it... 

The original staples are pretty tough - stainless or hardened steel.  They had to be to punch through the stainless molding and metal backing plate.  I tried to unbend them with the thought of maybe re-using the original staples.  wrong...  They are extremely difficult to straighten and many just break while you're struggling to do so. 

I ended up cutting off the curled end of the staples with my dremel cutting wheel so I could remove them.  At this point you really need a pneumatic stapler to reassemble.  I don't - so I used the existing holes and fashioned my own "staples" to put the new rubber strips on the metal framework.  Definitely not as awesome as the original fasteners, but I can always re-do them at any point should they not hold.

I am about to do the same project and have removed the staples but the holes for the staples are round and my staples are not round. Where did you find staples and what size did you use? Also, thinking of gluing the new rubber to the removed metal strip, then pushing the staples through the rubber before trying to attach to the molding. Ideas? Thanks....

I didn't find or use staples...  Hence the " " around "staples".  Stiff wire of an appropriate size to go through the holes - cut and bent to facilitate it's use as "staples".

I considered some type of adhesive as well. However, after I finished, the squeegee was held in place very well and there's little force would cause it to become dislodged in normal usage.  I don't think the rubber would ever detach as long as the "staples" are in place.  Plus, I thought about adhesive and the next time it has to be done.  It will be much easier not to fight adhesive and clean adhesive off parts should it need to be redone.

I didn't find or use staples...  Hence the " " around "staples".  Stiff wire of an appropriate size to go through the holes - cut and bent to facilitate it's use as "staples".

I considered some type of adhesive as well. However, after I finished, the squeegee was held in place very well and there's little force would cause it to become dislodged in normal usage.  I don't think the rubber would ever detach as long as the "staples" are in place.  Plus, I thought about adhesive and the next time it has to be done.  It will be much easier not to fight adhesive and clean adhesive off parts should it need to be redone.

I ended up calling Z car source where I bought the rubber from. They told me to drill out the holes with a bit just a tiny bit bigger than the hole and use T50  #506 staples. Then push them in with a flat head screwdriver and bend them over with needle nose pliers. I'll post how that works out. I hope I won't have to replace them again. My staples were originals and had lots of rust and it was a pain to remove them. 

Edited by Ken Smith

Removed old staples and rubber. New rubber from Z Car Source. Used T50 #506 staples. Drilled out holes just enough to fit staples. Starting at rear and working forward inserting staples and using flat head screwdriver push staple in hard with thumb and hold it while bending end of staple with screwdriver. Takes awhile but works great. This is what Z Car Source advised me to do.

I ordered the window parts from z car source on september 09.After a couple of e-mails and couple of phone calls,still no delivery on october 15.I would look elsewhere for these parts.Poor service.

That's funny. I got mine from them in about 7 or 8 days due to the weekend and Columbus day. Might want to be a little patient. They are well worth the money. Plus, you can call them and they explain how to install them. Very nice people. 

Edited by Ken Smith

• 1 year later...