HybridZ

anti theft ideas?

AZGhost

So as my build is getting closer to complete, I am really starting to think about tricks to keep a potential thief from driving off with it. Has anyone put any kind of kill switch on the starter or fuel pump? Any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other? Any other ideas? Not looking for an alarm system. Just something more simple but yet would deter someone after about 2-5 minutes of trying to figure out how to start the car before they just give up.

I was thinking of putting in a kill switch behind the driver seat that would run between the key and the switch to the fuel pump. Im figuring if the kill switch is in front of you somewhere, it most likely will be found, but behind the seat, maybe not so much. Father in law thinks perhaps a button you have to hold in while turning the key to make the starter work. Maybe both? Both are rather simple installs to do.

Suggestions welcomed :)

A latching relay in the starter circuit, activated by a hot button someplace not easily found (like in the LOCKED glove box, or a Hazard Light Switch that is stuck into the console hiding in plain sight.

The relay allows placement almost anywhere and the control wiring and button can be exceedingly small. This lets you put the relay hiding under the dash on the passenger side, not where the thief bastard SOB would first look, and then putting the button elsewhere.

If you put the switch easily accessible, chances are a thief will run his hand over it because all the easy to reach places pretty quickly and this means a simple toggle is an easy giveaway. A button grounding a latching relay to open/close isn't the normal thing to run across. And a hazard switch, running light switch, even the stock antenna MOM switch would work.

They used to sell membrane switches. These are genius! You can slide them under the carpet and have to know 'the special spot to touch' to activate it.

Using a simple timer chip that automatically unlatches the relay after you shut it off after 5 minutes (passive arming) keeps you from punching the button all the time if you shut the engine off in the drive through, or at a light, in stop-n-go-traffic.... And may entitle you to an insurance discount.

What happened to just taking your coil wire and locking it in the glovebox, or installing a lock on the tool compartment door and locking it in there? Just too time consuming anymore? 'Course, now that I think of it, most of us aren't running coil wires anymore are we...gotta love advancements in tech.

lol those trunk monkey commercials are priceless... forgot all about those

Going to a distributorless system, so no more coil, its all coil on a wire now. I was thinking behind the driver seat, because a thief to me checks glove box, and center console if he cant see anything. Ill have to check out some of Tony's ideas. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The cigarette lighter in a car is about 2 ohms resistance and can be used with a relay who's output is in series between the starter switch and the starter soleniod.

Car only starts with the lighter pushed in.

I've also used a baby monitor system simply put under the seat and on a relay that is normally closed.......but opens when the car is running so you aren't broadcasting you singing to Captain and Tennille while you drive.

When you hear someone in your car, it's time to bust some heads.......or get shot by the perp.

If you don't relish getting shot but want them to leave your car, get another baby monitor and put the receiver under the seat so you can simply turn on your transmitter and tell the perp inside your car that the pain train is comin'.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

I installed a very simple, but effective, toggle switch on the power to my electric fuel pump.  It is hidden, but of course I don't want to say where.  I like that if someone wanted to steal it I would hear the engine start and then die shorlty thereafter.  As loud as my car is it's like setting off an alarm.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also going to suggest the cigarette lighter trick. I've used it on a couple vehicles.

My preferred method is to use a proper transponder immobilizer. Passive arming, passive disarming (key fob just needs to be within a few inches of the receiver ring), nothing extra to do when you get in the car, nothing to forget to engage, nothing to forget to dis engage after a long hiatus from the car (Say like over the winter). Most systems also include an LED that is an effective deterant on it's own.

Don't put the led anywhere near the windshield.

I used to repo cars for falcon international in miami beach during the late 80s and I modified a stun gun (thunder woman) by attaching a spark plug lead to one electrode with an alligator clip on it the car and putting the stun gun electrode against the windshield as near as you can get to the led of the alarm while pulling the trigger.

Eventually, you will get a spark to jump to the led and the alarm is done.........and possibly a bunch more of the car's systems.

It worked and I didn't bake any ecus doing it.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

really like the cigarette lighter trick. I may have to re-think my toggle switch idea. Currently I built a custom power distribution panel off the ignition, and I have a toggle switch off it that basically turns that fuse block on and off. But maybe a  push button clicker hidden behind the cigartte lighter is a good idea.. pretty inconspicuous... I wouldnt have thought of that :)