HybridZ

need stronger front coil springs for 240z

I`m putting a pontiac 455 in my Z for dragracing. The engine is heavier then SBC and has a deep oilpan on it. My Z was lowered somtime in its life and I need a stiff spring for the front. Are there any other springs I could use from car makers that will fit the struts? Mazda for example.

Thanks,Mark

I used Mogg # 6558 , off a 1980's chevette front coil springs, for the rear of my 280z. Im sure they would also work on the front. Just cut them down to size.By the way, i have a 472 cadillac in my 280z and i run stock front springs cut a coil and a half.

Edited by pdinnell

Thanks for the reply, I just found moog 6558 in the search. Has anyone installed them uncut? I need the height not only for the motor weight/oil pan but also to clear the front spoiler for using a tow dolly to the track.

472 cadillac would be awsome to have. I had a 500 once but there was no aftermaket support for it. Wish I kept it, times have changed.

There is a pretty big difference in rate and length to run them uncut. I bet your car will look like a monster truck. If you have corner weights JohnC has an equation somewhere that will help you find out what your compressed height will be. I plan on running the cut chevette psrings on the rear, and running cut 280 rears on the front. I have a sbc though. Remember cutting the chevette springs will get you a rate increase. with the extra length you might be able to see as much as a 5-10% rate increase depending on how much you cut. That should put you around 220#

Yes they are a stock strut. This is a low buck second time around project. Spent too much and took to long the first time around. I lost focus and  built the fun right out of it. The 455 has brought back the intrest, but it must be cheep. The chevette springs I think are what im looking for. Jegs has them for $30 a pair. Im happy with that.

Are the lowered springs the same height unsprung as the stock or are they shorter?

S5030024.jpg

Lowered springs are shorter. There is a thread in the FAQ suspension forum where JohnC goes over free length vs. compressed length on the tokico blue springs for 280z. This is a good starting point to judge length for chevette springs. Cut them a little long then put on car and compress, see where you are, then uncompress and cut more while still on car.

BTW, I definitely want to see more pictures of your car. Some of the tube front end, mounting of the 455 etc.

Edited by emeraldlion

Soudned to me like he had stock struts. Personally I don't feel like taking the struts off and modifying them at this point in my project, that's why I chose to go with the chevette springs.

I was suggesting getting coil springs in the correct free lenght to fit inside the stock strut. The stock spring perch and upper mount aren't a perfect fit for 2.5" coil springs but they'll fit and if the free length is correct they shouldn't move or rattle. I suppose he could buy coil springs slightly shorter than stock and a threaded collar and perch to take up the slack and even app pre load but thats would double the cost, standard coil over springs tend to be $50-60 each, perches and collars are also readily available but since he was lookign for an OE fitment I figured he wanted the cheapest easiest solution which in my mind would be a 2.5 x whatever free lengh by whatever sprign rate he deems suitable.

• 10 months later...