HybridZ

2JZ-GTE Swap(better then RB26)

Guest Anonymous

BTW. Top Secret is the shop that made the gold GTR in the Shin Wangan Midnight video.

I've seen that Gold Supra at the AutoSalon, pretty sweet with that RB engine.

So, in the Supra vs. Skyline debate, which is better, the Nur Spec Supra or the Skyline that came after it (R34?)

Whatever the debate, you should only be comparing the engine YOU'RE getting, so what Nissan makes an RB26DETT if you can only afford the RB25DET?

Owen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello again i hate the title of this post just an invite for flaming and this place (HybrideZ) isnt teh palce for it everybody entitled to there own opionions.

for you guys in teh states teh supra is better becasue it is cheaper but as for as durability and power they are about teh same. but as for preference ... i just came from japan and lived ther for 6 years... didnt see any toyota moters swapped into anything but older supras and tourer V's. but did see just about everything with a rb26 in it. from a datsun 210. to a ford mustang. thats says alot to me ;> my 2 cents ;> icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Like someone said before, Top Secret swapped an RB26DETT into a Supra. The reason I heard though was that the RB is quite a bit lighter than the JZ engine. As for power output, they are probab;y about the same. I would probably go with the Supra engine because: 1. It is cheaper, and 2. It is easier to attain parts for it here in the states.

• 6 years later...

Pretty much all the technical aspects have been discussed. But what about good old convenience, 2jz-gte is an america motor which mean parts are very easy to obtain, while the rb26dett is not. You can go to Auto-zone to buy parts for the 2jz. Good luck finding an oil punp pick up for an RB26dett and when you do your at the mercy of the 3 people who have spare parts.

And plus you dont have to open the 2jz up at all which makes to cheaper.

But the ricer in me says the rb26 is more jdm!

Pretty much all the technical aspects have been discussed. But what about good old convenience, 2jz-gte is an america motor which mean parts are very easy to obtain, while the rb26dett is not. You can go to Auto-zone to buy parts for the 2jz. Good luck finding an oil punp pick up for an RB26dett and when you do your at the mercy of the 3 people who have spare parts.

And plus you dont have to open the 2jz up at all which makes to cheaper.

But the ricer in me says the rb26 is more jdm!

Would you like me to order an oil pump pick up from my dealership for you? It costs 30 bucks at a local Nissan dealership.

If you supply the part-numbers, you can get it from Nissan if you push them.

As for autozone stuff, a lot of Z32 parts work on RB engines, and so do other parts as well, you just need to know the ones that work, and ones that dont.

And if the next thing anyone mentions is the option of going to autozone if something breaks down, well... if your oil-pickup happens to break, you may soon have bigger problems than what auto-zone can help you with.

Adding to that, It only takes 10 - 20 days for nissan parts to come in, sometimes less. That's not that bad.

• 2 months later...

Hehe if you guys want to see a real battle with EVERY freakin spec tumbled around go to www.supraforums.com. They have a sticky for just this topic pitting the 2JZ against the RB....Personally to the OP I have owned both a 1991 Turbo Supra with the motor pulled/rebuilt AND I have owned a 1993 TT Supra. The engines are WORLDS apart. As previously mentioned the 7M has a huge problem with blowing head gaskets due to the wrong torque spec on them from the factory. It is still a MAJOR feat to break into the mid-400's let alone the 500 HP club with the 7M engine. That takes LOTS o money's.

Now for the 2JZ. Yes you probably see ALOT of those guys running around with maybe mid-400's and yes these engines are very easy to get in the excess of 800+ on internals. The problem is try getting reliability out of those numbers haha. To reach those numbers it still takes alot of money and I garuntee most of the 2JZ's with high HP #'s have spent ALOT of money to get there. You have to remember that they are:

1. Probably singled which is costly to do right

2. Fuel mods

3. Electronics to support it (AEM Stand alone is the most popular)

4. Race Gas

5. Probably not on stock internals, yes they will hold it but for how long who knows.

6. This is just FYI but the stock TT set-up is a royal PITA to work on with all the vacuum switches etc.

7. Parts are becoming increasingly harder to find. Pretty much Champion Toyota is the best place to get them from anymore and GOOD LUCK finding a mechanic that truly knows what they are doing.

After considering all that I still LOVE the 2JZ but you need to understand its not nearly as easy as most people think it is with this motor. It still takes some bleeding knuckles and decent amount of money to get these cars to the bragging point that most have them at.

You have to remember most of these engines are going to be pulled for a reason. Oh if you decide to buy from Japan make sure your motor is coming from a SUPRA and that it is not an Aristo motor. Aristo's had a 2JZ in them but they were slightly different from USDM. Same with the JDM 2JZ-GTE motor it is slightly different as well. So if you do go the 2JZ route, I would highly recommend you pay a little more for a USDM motor.

I forgot to mention if you can get your hands on a decent Getrag Tranny (6-speed manual from TT Supra which will cost upwards of 2k for a good one) they will pretty much withstand any amount of HP you throw at it....straight awesomeness.....

Good writeup but I do not agree with everything you said. I will correct you again and say the Aristo turbo engine IS the JDM 2JZ-GTE. Building a 2JZ setup can be expensive if you must have a getrag 6-spd and all your parts from Greedy, HK$, etc and you must match the ridiculous dyno numbers the Supra crowd likes to to tout. How fast does a 2JZ-powered Z want to go? Well it only needs mid-400hp to break into the 10s and 600hp to scare yourself silly and require proper safety equipment, certification and license.

My heavier FC RX7 has a stock Aristo 2JZ-GTE with $100 used USDM cams, a $350 single header, old-school T72, pump gas and meth-inj and is pushing mid-600 at the wheels based on 139.6 trap speed and 3050lbs. HP is capped to avoid being thrown off the track because I only have a 6-pt. I said all that to make the point that a lightweight Z-car does not need to spend a ton of $$$ like Supra owners to go fast, unless hey are looking to into the 8s.

ok sorry I think I need to clarify what I meant by the Aristo and JDM being different, I meant the samething you said in the other post about their cams, etc being different from one another while both are different from the USDM engine......I just did not use the best grammar lol....I was meaning to say the samething you said without going into the details of why they are different......hehe thats my mistake in the grammar department.....

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dsail56
Boy is that ever a wierd comment.

"Fancy head"? So in your estimation then, the LT5 from the Corvette ZR1 is equivalent to the 350 from the 60s. Same block, just some fancy heads thrown on there.

That's just silly. Engine technology is heavily tied up in the head(s) - valve gear, combustion chamber shape, flow characteristics, etc, etc. With few exceptions, a block is a block. Not much new there that is being implemented ni the main stream.

The Datsun L head is old technology. As has been stated before on this thread, the 7M and the RB are pretty close to each other in having a modern head design. The main difference is that you can't go to a salvage yard (in the US) and pick up an RB.

Now, the issue with the head gaskets, that I find interesting. I haven't uncovered any other info on this beyond replacing the gasket with a premium HKS unit, upgrading the head bolts and being very careful to torque the head bolts. Does the block have to be O-ringed? What aspect of the Toyota design makes it more suscptible to failure?

"the LT5 from the Corvette ZR1 is equivalent to the 350 from the 60s. Same block,"

Hi Guys, new to this group, I've had my z since 1990. (74 260Z) I am looking for a GTO body kit and researching engine possibilities. All this talk of Toy's and l28Ts is interesting. Just want to add my 2 cents Chevy actually introduced the OHV V8 in the 283 in 1955 small blocks from then to the later 350s are pretty much interchangeable. They went to the parts bin and mixed and matched to produce the very successful 302 for the Trans Am races.

What I'm interested in is a good solid NA motor to motivate the GTO replicar with good drive ability looks impressive under the hood with decent gas mileage. Is there a NA Toyota 6 with 6 speed 24 valve available? What year and models should I look for?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Dan in Afghanistan

Well there's the topic starter of this thread of course available without the turbos... Why are you looking specifically for a toyota engine for your z? The VQ35DE in such cars as the Infiniti G35 comes to mind. The R34 skylines also fit this category. Not sure what you consider "impressive under the hood" though. A turbo usually looks somewhat impressive...

Guest dsail56

Not necessarily just Toyota motors, I don't have much background on the Japanese sixes available. Is there a better thread to look at for this info?

My goal is to build a nice cruiser with possibly a twin cam NA six and a six speed without breaking the bank, not a drag racer or auto cross car.

By impressive I mean a motor which just screams performance the way a twin cam cross flow head does.

I am a true believer in this Hybrid Z concept of this forum.

To me a sports car is a base for improvements by the builder, sort of like a blank canvas is to an artist.

I've worked mostly on British cars in the past. I have a Spitfire I plan on building up with a Toyota 1600 16v and 5 speed, brake and suspension upgrades and some custom body mods.

The Z originally started out as a Japanese improvement on the basic Brit sports car, and I've found it is very similar to the Brit sixes of the 70s.

When I get back to NH this spring I post some pictures of the customizing I started on my Z.

I am getting off the point of this thread though, and as I stated above is there a better thread in which to look for this info?

Thanks.

Dan from Afghanistan.

well there are a ton of options in inline 6 category.

why not go with a RB30DE like i am, without turbo, or go with a TB48DE

4.8litre inline 6. gobs of torque and Brian Crower is making mods for it now.

A high compression N/A engine of that size would be insane for an inline 6. And it is also my next project engine (I like to do things backwards...engine first, car for it to go in later)

heavy as hell though.