HybridZ

A new brake option: R32 GTR sumitomo

Hey all.. Just finished adapting some R32 GTR sumitomo 4 pot calipers and GTR double vented rotors to the front of my S30. Here are some pics (excuse the quality):

18816_10151279762079826_529330086_n.jpg

These brakes work amazing on the Z, pedal feel is acceptable although it would benefit from a 1" master cylinder (running a 15/16 right now)

They clear only 16" rims or larger.

Just seeing if theres any interest in people wanting to buy kits to install these brakes. I can make adaptor brackets as well as machine the GTR rotors to accept the 240z hubs.

Braided brakes lines for a z32 brake swap for a 240sx also need to be installed.

I know this has been done before but just wondering if anyone is interested in some adaptors.

Also, does anyone know of a 1" MC upgrade that is bolt on (or near bolt on)

Edited by 240zdan

it simple, there is no writeup to make really.

but heres the basics:

1: Rotor need to be bored out to fit onto 240z hubs and bolt pattern needs to be redilled to 4x114.3 (any m achine shop can bore out the rotors, redrilling can be done on a drill press)

2. Calipers need to be mounted to 240z spindles using an adaptor bracket

3. Braided brake lines that were designed for a z32 caliper swap for a 240sx ($60)

4. 15/16 or 1" master cylinder

Thats it

As far as the rear, I have the 240sx rear calipers for now so i havent mounted up gtr rears yet

Edited by 240zdan

Theres a pinned thread all about the Wilwood MC set up, pretty easy install.

Are you looking to do the rears next? What do you think the overall cost would be for the set up?

The problem with the gtr rears is the parking brake setup.

Besides looks there would be no advantage over using gtr rears as opposed to 240sx rears, which is what I have now. Therefore Im leaving the rears alone.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They should be available next week. I have 5 sets, one set is already sold to m3 and z

Prices are as follows:

$75 to machine your gtr rotors to fit your stock hubs.

$90 for the adaptor brackets laser cut from 1/2" steel ( I will probably source hardware as well)

A couple things to note:
You must purchase brake lines such as these here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-240SX-w-300ZX-Z32-Calipers-Front-Conversion-Brake-Lines-S13-S14-/360483317495

You must run a 16" or larger 0 offset wheel (my 16x8 0 offset XXR wheels barely clear).

Spacers are required between the adaptor bracket and spindle, I used washers on my setup and will try to source the appropriate ones and include them with the adaptor brackets.

Upgrading the master is recomended.

Your zed will stop quickly, these brakes are STRONG.

Edited by 240zdan

IIRC, the r32 calipers were ALL considered "30mm" calipers , which is the clamp size for the rotors , some of the NA z32's and the Z32 TT came with these calipers, I believe both in aluminum and cast iron . And there is also a "26mm" caliper which comes on the other z32 NA's. the "30mm" measures between 32mm-34mm. And the "26mm" measures between 29mm-32mm. Correct me if I'm wrong

the NA Z32 300ZX 26mm caliper is aluminum and is the lightest of the bunch, it believe it's only found on the first couple years of Z32, as well as non-GT-R R32 (ie GT/GTS)

I used these calipers with a custom bracket and custom rotor hats I made up on my 240Z.

I'm running 15" rims - the only issue for fitment is how much negative offset your front wheels have (15x9 -13mm requires a spacer for the back of the spokes to not hit the face of the caliper for example - I tested)

After the 26mm caliper was discontinued on the Z32, there was a heavier steel 30mm and an alloy 32mm caliper that showed up.

It was my understanding that the dimension was the thickness of the rotor - NOT the size of the pistons in the calipers...

I can re-measure mine to confirm. I hope this helps?

-e

Edited by ericbauer