HybridZ

Pontiac OHC 4bbl straight 6

Guest John Adkins

Guest Anonymous

I always liked the Poncho OHC. Good looking engine, I knew someone that had one in a firebird that was turbocharged, although a draw through carb system, it had really good power and made probably close to 300 hp at the crank without a whole lot of boost, he started with the lower compression model.

Thanks for sharing that,

Lone

Guest Tom Scala

My first car in high school was a 67 Tempest Sprint with the 4 barrel 6 & a Saginaw 3.11 low 4 speed and a 3.90 rear. Payed $700 for it from the original owner. It eventually ran high 15's with over 100,000 miles. Best part was it had a bench seat in front so it doubled as a motel room. Good times,good times icon_wink.gif

Guest John Adkins

My Dad's Tempest was a '67 Sprint 2 door coupe! It was a great car 'till it was t-boned by a drunk driver icon_sad.gif When I was a kid we were a Pontiac family,

we had the Tempest and a '65 Catalina....

I remember some car magazine saying that imports were so far ahead of Pontiac in the 60s and the highest technology Pontiac had was the hood mounted tach icon_mad.gif

But what about the great OHC 6?

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest John Adkins

It would be a pretty cool motor in a Z. Unfortunately, they are pretty rar these days and so are parts.... icon_sad.gif

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest Tom Scala

I still am a Pontiac guy at heart. My 68 GTO is still sitting in the garage waiting for whenever I feel like going back in time. There is a guy in Utah that has just about anything you'd ever need for the OHC-6. He advertises in Hemmings now and then. A place in Colorado just reproduced the 230 horse cam & OHC oil pumps too. The bottom end is basically inline Chevy(rods bearings,etc.) The valves & springs interchange with some 389's & 421's,very good breathing for the displacement. That motor always got a bad rap back in the day because it was so small and different when 400+ cubes were commomnplace. It really was ahead of it's time. It would be nice to see one in a Z. icon_smile.gif

Guest John Adkins

Yes...If I could get the OHC head, intake, and cam drive parts, I could use a chevy 6 shortblock.... hmm... another Hybrid Z project? icon_biggrin.gif Gotta get going on my V8 z project first though (parts gathering is done but I'm trying to clear some time to work on it-- family stuff gets in the way!!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

My mother had a red ragtop Firebird in '67 with the OHC 4 bbl w/3 speed. They say speedos lie--and maybe so-- but I had this one past 120 and heading back towards 0 one night. I remember reading an article which stated a 109 top speed. On the night in question, at about 110, the engine ceased to sound like an internal combustion engine--it just wailed--and kept climbing!

On another occasion, I had a run-in with a 327 Camaro late one night. I out ran him on the straight and he was truly amazed as to what was under the hood. He did say, and I beleived him, that the high crown on this particular Michigan hi-way was throwing him all over the road.

Guest Anonymous

dimensionally, it's similar to a Chevy 250, but with a bit more height due to the OHC. Same basic block but little commonality. This one was all Pontiac. And parts are very scarce.

Its just a pitty there isnt a cheap used triple weber or injection setup available for the pontiac ohc. I have heard about timing belt failures made the ohc unpopular is this true.

The new 4,2 chevy 24v 6 would be a interesting engine then it gets available used. It has 270 hp 410 nm and 6000+ redline. The chevy engineers says it delivers 300 hp with a dual non cat exhaust

Guest Anonymous

The Pontiac OHC could be injected pretty easy. Just weld in injector bungs in the stock 4 bl manifold and setup a fuel rail and injectors above it, use either a aftermarket 4 bbl throttle body or use a old holley without the fuel hooked up to it with a TPS on the throttle shaft. Probably have to use like SDS or Tec II or another aftermarket computer to make the whole thing work.

I guess the operative word you mentioned was 'cheap' in which case, yeah your right it wouldn't be cheap. The new Chevy engine sounds like a nice motor, hope they make lots and lots of em and crash lots and lots of em.. icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Mom's '67 OHC 6 Firebird was reliable until the motor threw a rod one night! I was in the service at the time--my kid sister was driving--and I know she drove it as hard--and maybe even as irresponsibly--as I did. I sure did like the car.

• 6 years later...
Guest lbclassics

I will be selling my running 69 Firebird straight 6 OHC engine and 2 speed powerglide soon, i am upgrading so look for it soon...but if you need anything for yours here's a link........http://primatechmotorsports.com/pmihome.htm