HybridZ

L6 Transmission ID

BlueStag

I have a 76 four speed, a 78 5 speed, and two ZX 5 speeds and have found that the numbers on the transmission case don't tell anything.  I've read the various threads about using them to ID the type, went out and got all of the numbers from each transmission and they were meaningless.  No trends or ranges to work with,  just random numbers. 

I knew which car each came from and confirmed by the speedo gear clamp screw position (up or down) and the number of exhaust pipe hangers (two or one), plus the calculated fifth gear ratios for the ZX's. 

I have a 76 four speed, a 78 5 speed, and two ZX 5 speeds and have found that the numbers on the transmission case don't tell anything.  I've read the various threads about using them to ID the type, went out and got all of the numbers from each transmission and they were meaningless.  No trends or ranges to work with,  just random numbers. 

I knew which car each came from and confirmed by the speedo gear clamp screw position (up or down) and the number of exhaust pipe hangers (two or one), plus the calculated fifth gear ratios for the ZX's. 

Well, that blows...

I don't have any transmissions at the moment.

Well, that blows...

I don't have any transmissions at the moment.

Why do you not have any? I have 5) 5-speeds. I keep an eye on the pull and save yard(s) up here. Everytime a Z comes in, I check to see if it has a 5 speed. If it does, I come back with a few basic tools as soon as I can, and 20 minutes, and $50 later, I have another one!

There is rumored to be a sequence of numbers and letters on the transmission housing that begin with "F". It is said that if you take the first number of that sequence, multiply it by 2, spin around three times and sprinkle salt on your left foot, then take half of your number and that tells you if it is a 4 speed or 5 speed. Works every time.

Now when you are at the junk yard with a salt shaker and see there is no number beginning with "F" on the transmission, maybe, you will resort to searching an already well documented subject for good information. Then, you will know how to tell the difference between them.

Read Post #4.  The OP is looking for numbers cast, stamped or etched on tothe transmission itself that will tell something about the internals and the year it was made, or model and year of car it was made for.  My reply was that the serial numbers (the ones that you referred to with your pciture) do not tell you anything.  I don't think that you're understanding what was asked, or you think that the serial numbers do have meaning.

If you can produce a table or chart, or a Nissan Tech. Bulletion or whatever, that correlates the serial number with year and type of transmission, I will gladly produce all four of my serial numbers and see how well the table fits.  I've never seen one but would ove to have it available.

Now when you are at the junk yard with a salt shaker and see there is no number beginning with "F" on the transmission, maybe, you will resort to searching an already well documented subject for good information. Then, you will know how to tell the difference between them.

Sorry Heroez, but I can't understand what you're trying to show.  How about less attitude and more examples proving your point?  Even one would be good.

Just to tie up loose ends: this topic came up on another forum so I collected the serial numbers from my four plus a scrapper that I had posted there.  Blue posted your picture and a picture that suggested the numbers had meaning.  Somehow cut and paste from another forum seems to work so I stole the picture (see below - thanks Blue for the work on the picture).

According to the instructions, all of my transmissions were made in 1967 or 1977.  This is the basis of my post above saying that the numbers are meaningless.

Here is my table of serial numbers:

"1980" 280ZX (came out of a 1981 ZX but has 1980 ratios) - 7409303
Original (as far as I can tell) 1976 280Z 4 speed - 7106146
1978 280Z 5 speed - 7128997
1983 280ZX (speedo bolt down) - 7X64820
Blown up ZX 5 speed year unknown - 7X64845

autoplate.jpg