HybridZ

Project 72 240Z L33 Cobra 8.8

Years ago I bought Marcus's 71 240z which looked somewhat like this when I got it minus the drivetrain and some interior mods that I did in this pic.

dats.jpg

It then transformed into this fun 10.30 @ 140 R200 ls1 single turbo fun.
BransonZFest2009043%20(2).jpg

datsuneng.JPG

But I moved on and sold it to a guy in conneticut who then sold it to someone else. I was told the faceplated 6speed was destroyed because of a towing error and some other mods were done. Now it is a solid axle car owned by someone on here.

Anyways moving on..

Years later after me and the wife wanted another one. I picked this72 240 jem up in Arkansas.
d1.jpg

Which went to the garage for a full disassemble and to the blasters.
d2.jpg
 d3.jpg

Then back from epoxy coat.
d4.jpg
d5.jpg
d6.jpg
Floors had rust so I started the process of removal.
d7.jpg

To be Continued..................

L33 out of a 05 Silverado. All aluminum. My "play" engine. Curious to see what it will hold before the lsx376 goes in.
d16.jpg

Engine/trans installed partially. Still need to trim the engine plate and finish the tranny mount.
d17.jpg
On to rear end decisions.. Took about a month to decide between the 2... R230 out of the z32tt or 8.8 04 Cobra
d18.jpg

And it has to be an IRS not an easy solid axle. And the excitment to remove this turd.
d19.jpg

And I did and lifted the 8.8 in place.
d20.jpg

8.8 back mount to be continued....

I wanted a full bolt in mount for the 8.8 without cutting or drilling using the factory suspension so this can be used with any options out there for the suspension and hubs. Basically just get custom axles to what ever is on the outside (T3, Mod Motorsports, AZCar or factory options..)
d22.jpg
d25.jpg

d24.jpg

d21.jpg

Front mount to be worked on this weekend. And ordering t3 backing plates today....

From DSS .We have a stub that goes into the 8.8 that will have the Porsche style 108mm CV mount this also uses the same 28 spline on the bar. just make sure when ordering the diff you make sure its a diff for the independent rear. most will say its the same but there not. the independent one has a groove cut for the snap ring like a Cobra. the outer CV for the 300TT will be good for your power.

(2) inner subs for the 8.8 (500.00) (2) inner CV's with chromoly cage and boots (79.99 each) (2) custom length bars with 28/28 splines (549.99 a pair)

so the set of axles would be about 1210.00 for the pair.

Also 75 extra per cage you can get chromoly cages for the 300zxtt outers to give you piece of mind.

Changed the plans on using T3 backing plates. I am going to attempt to fit the Ford IRS knuckles to eliminate the need of buying $1500 worth of T3 parts. The top mount for the knuckles will be the most challenging. But its worth a try for these stronger cheaper knuckles.I believe there will be alot more clearance for the wheel now that the suspension will be moved under the car rather than in the wheel well. Handling will probably improve awswell with this new design. Hopefully it works out. If not back to the T3 setup.

fms-m-5970-a_w.jpg

Just wondering how the ford parts equate to a stronger knuckle than the T3 stuff? I do know that the Q45/ 300zxTT outer stub that goes through the knuckle is 2mm larger than the ford stuff.

Looking great! I wish i had access to a tubing bender and a nice mig/tig... :(  I'm working out of a 1 car garage in an apartment complex ! lol

I like how you incorporated the mustache bar. However, I'm not sold on how you captivated the rear of the lca. It will work great for you, but for me to drop my diff, the lca's have to be loose on the inside, and folded down, due to the big ears on the cover.

Great progress, looking forward to seeing some footage of this thing!

The T3 Plate being welded makes me nervous but I might have to go with it anyway. To remove the diff on mine you can just take the front mount off and the 2 bolts on the back. I almost went with your cover but wanted to be different than you :icon7: . Hopefully both ideas work great and we see each others cars at the next big meet.

I might be modding my rear mount next weekend to move the diff back another 1/2".

Ford IRS knuckles are on hold for now. They are going to cause to much work when I am shooting for Branson Zfest. I went ahead and ordered the T3 plates and strut mounts and will be here Friday.Plans to use an alternative strut setup though for better valving and 2 way adjustment. Hope it works or more ordering from T3 will be in my near future.

So I picked up some 04 mustang front struts from the parts store. They are close but not going to work. I checked the 05 and newer and they are longer. The 04's are about 2 inches to long. The bracket is the correct width but the top hole is a bit off. I could weld a different bracket onto the strut but the length would still be to long.
I am debating on ordering these
new-steel-strut-da_2.jpg

They are showing a 20" extended height with 14" compressed but also offer it with 14.5" extended and 10.5 compressed. I am going to do some more measuring to get a length at the right ride height. I am looking at qa1 because of the valving and adjustment is way better than illuminas.
Pics of mock up..

post-3226-0-21066600-1358015514_thumb.jpg

post-3226-0-15653700-1358015538_thumb.jpg

post-3226-0-76070200-1358015552_thumb.jpg

post-3226-0-76671600-1358015567_thumb.jpg

post-3226-0-01309500-1358015579_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

1 1/4 MS .120 wall. I was going to use moly but i would rather bend an LCA than break one.
Axles are easy. Just need to order them now that I can put the wheels on and set it down to measure length. If I get the other LCA done this weekend I will order axles Monday.