HybridZ

rear disc help

I have used the search and read lots here and on zcar.com but still have questions. I am trying to do this conversion. I have modified maxima brackets and calipers/rotors from an 83 zxt -- replacing the drums on my 77 280. I can't seem to make them fit, when I read it seems some have done this with no problem, but when I try to mount the calipers there is not enough clearance. Do I need the calipers from an earlier model (79-81)? or calipers from a late model maxima (88 or so) or just a different rotor? -- I came by all the parts cheap and really only wanted the swap for easier maintainance but now I am into it and looking to continue as inexpensively as possible (with disc brakes) to get me back on the road. so with the maxima brackets what caliper/rotor combination fits on rear 280z? It seems others have made this combination work and I am trying to find out if I am just doing something stupid. Thanks

Hmm, I did this swap back in December, and everything fit just right. My Calipers were off an 1986 Maxima, and 280ZX rotors. The caliper brackets can only really go on one way. Anyway, the hardest part for me was removing that dang dust shield off the drums. I F'd up on the removal, I should have not taken everything apart. I screwed up the spindle taking off the nut with an airgun. I was extremely lucky finding replacements. My only suggestion would be to cut the dust shield off, and dont take anything else off but the drums obviously..

Where did you get the new rear caliper brackets from? You can get some from here, might be able to find somewhere else cheaper.

http://www.silverminemotors.com/Rear-Stage-4-Kit-Brackets-Rear-Stage-4-Kit-Brackets.htm

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=8

Oh and check this link, might be handy.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/104113-silver-mine-motors-rear-disk-conversion-kit-write-up/

I have some pictures of my build, but not sure if they will help any....

Edited by AZGhost623

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Are you guys making changes to your porportioning valve or master cylinder when going from drum to disc?

Sometimes.

There is no 'generalized" answer without knowing the specific  brake configuration you are asking about.

See Brake FAQs and the other posts in the brake section etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 77 280Z with the stock booster and master. In the front, I have converted to the Mustang Cobra 2 piston calipers (modern motorsports), in the rear, I have the 08- Mustang GT single piston calipers (silver mine motorsports), all vented disc. I haven't really put the car through it's paces so I'm not sure what will exactly happen. But if I need to change certain things, I'd rather do it now instead of later.

• 1 year later...