HybridZ

3.4 build

PMC raceengines

post-26847-0-21176200-1358423920_thumb.jpgJust some pics off a stroker im building for a road rally engine post-26847-0-51281100-1358332219_thumb.jpgpost-26847-0-91971300-1358332250_thumb.jpgpost-26847-0-81118600-1358332288_thumb.jpg

engine was sonic tested and then grout filled to the top of the welsh plugs and then torque plate bored and honed to 89mm , all oil plugs have been removed and internaly cleaned , i also milled  the block to make room for the crank  , then it was spin washed and cleand , before paint in side and out 

main bearings were set at 2.3 to 2.4 th  and thrust at 0.006 , block was very straght and the crank turns very well , 1 finger spins the crank with ease ,

rods are honda 18b 137mm long 400g with arp 2000 bolts  clearance was set at 0.002

piston is a forged sps with 1 mm top ring 1.2 sec ring 3mm oil ring  piston has a +6cc bump as the head is a p90  

will post more pics as i build it this week and a vid as it hit the engine dyno   

Edited by PMC raceengines

You just may want to consider a chain adjuster. Get that piston off the job and go manual adjuster. That will keep valve train stability, you don't have room for chain slop, it does make a big difference. and while you are at it, buy the adjustable cam gear, and make sure the cam timing is matching the cam card.

looks like a cool build. What is the static compression with the extra 6cc's of piston space?

Thanks  jeffp lol after 300+ L builds i never new anything like that about the cam timing lol

and yes its a rb30 crank thats been worked over to fit ,

just so you know Jeff   i have my own range of parts for the L motor like cnc cam gears and brass oil pump drives, and yes  we do know how to time a cam  .. thanks

Edited by PMC raceengines

...I have my own range of parts for the L motor like cnc cam gears and brass oil pump drives...

What bolt in upgrades do you offer for the L-Series? I know most of your engines are a far cry from their original form, but I'm sure there are some things those of us closer to stock might be interested in. I know I would love for someone to come up with a water pump impeller upgrade, perhaps something like the LD impeller, but easily swapped with the stamped steel units that seem to be everywhere these days.

Peter, I am intrigued by the one finger spin of the crank.  What are the steps to getting it to that level.  I wouldn't even want to guess the amount of "free" horsepower one picks up if the crank spins with such ease.  Any longterm issues with oil pressure on something like that? What is the theory behind that glyptol (spelling) engine paint?

Yes we have a kit , comes with 89mm stroke crank , H beem rods , custom forged pistons , and a custom flywheel .

Also has bearings  , price is $6500 , aus dollers.

We like to use the P90 head , but we can make the piston sute any head , we just need the CCs of the head and need to know cam spec for valve pockets ,

As far as i know we are the only 3.35 kit out there .

Not the only kit, there are a few builders in the US who are up to the job if you have the cash. One gentleman had a shortblock up to 3.6L but the engine never was finished and never ran, as far as I have found. Most folks in the US find that after about 250HP, the dollars-per-horsepower for the L28 really go down fast...so engines like this aren't common here.

Rebello can and does make engines in this ballpark; look to some of the Bonneville racers if you don't believe it (I know Peter doesn't!)

The Great White Dyno never lies...

We have a 3.6 kit as well i have built 2 now , but we make the block taller so we can run a longer rod ,

COST lots only for the hard core Z man that loves the L motor ,. 

As for the cost off my motors there dear , there not for every one , i dont care, there built to a very high standard and they go like they should , I have more work than i can do , this year im booked out already so im not trying to sell any parts or engines .  

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

All booked out... But I conspire to arrive in Melbourne this year with spare time intent on seeing the shop of you and Dave Ulbrick!

The two things worth doing on a trip to Oz.... Outside of Sydney, that is!  :icon45: