HybridZ

280ZX Misfire under idle or slight acceleration

For about a few weeks or so, ive been dealing with this odd misfire problem with my car. When its warmed up, it misfires under slight acceleration, idle, and deceleration.

The odd thing is that once the engine rpms rise above 2300-2500 or so, the misfire dissapears. I just replaced the PCV valve, and got the ignition timed. Cap, rotor, plugs  plug wires and fuel filter have all been replaced a few months prior. I went through most of the vaccum lines, and they all seem in good shape. No cracking or splitting.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

Sounds lean.  I would measure fuel pressure before getting too carried away.  If it's right, look harder for vacuum leaks, including the EGR system.  Download the FSM and read Engine Fuel... chapter to get a good understanding of the EFI system.  Might not solve your problem, but it will help you in the long run.  In future posts, tell what year car you have, how long you've had it and whether or not it's stock.

Thanks for the replies. Checked the manifold/exhaust gasket and it seems fine, however i forgot to mention that my car is in need of a valve adjustment. Im not sure if clackity valves would cause it to be misfiring. The year of my car is 1982, its naturally aspirated, and has 62,538 miles. The only upgrades are an MSA Catback exhaust with a Summit Racing muffler, and a Crane PS20 ignition coil.

*Update* I just started up the car after returning home and i was shocked at what i saw. The second i fired it up, it started to idle very rough, and low around 300-500 rpm. After about 5-10 seconds, the car died, but the fuel pump continued to run for a few seconds. I started it up again and it ran just fine for some reason. I actually happened to be making a video of the car at the same time. Please see the video attached. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG19nULM8OA

Replace all fuel injector/ fuel management connector with the newer style plugs found on newer vw jettas etc. My 78 810 had a bad stuttered around 2:5k changed those and feels like a different engine. also you might wanna look at the thermostat and the sensors in that area while your at it.

Update: I went ahead and bought a new o2 sensor, installed it, and now 90% of the misfire has gone away :icon7:. As far as the other 10% goes, i think it will completely go away once i adjust the valves. I found out that my EGR valve has a very slight leak, so i will be replacing that soon as well.

• 4 months later...