HybridZ

Rust repair on a 1972 240Z

240zip

Thanks for the photos, I'm going through the same process right now though my car was waaaay worse than that :*(

Everything below the dimpled holes in the inner rocker was completely gone!

By the way, where did you get the inner wheel arches from? I was looking for some before but couldn't find any, so I've ended up going with wide wheels and flares. Would like to have kept a more factory look but oh well, maybe on the next one.

I ordered the inner wheel arches directly from Tabco I believe.  BTW, we ordered the MSA rear valance piece.  It's not curved like OEM so we ended up not using it.  Likewise, we have extra pieces from the full rear quarters I had that I didn't use.  It's pieces from the wheel arches on back towards the rear.  I'll post pictures of the extra metal we have in the classified section to see if there's any interest.  I have two extra rear hatches now too.  One with glass, one without.  Also have part of a front fender.  I see you're in the UK so all this is likely moot.  BTW love that UK car show, Wheeler Dealers.  Those guys need to restore a 240Z. 

Never seen that Wheeler Dealers show, will have to look out for it next time it's on.

I had to have a rear valance made, but it turns out the '74 260z has different bumper mounting points to the 240z so ended up modifying to make it work (so much for the easy option).

The rear quarter sections that have the bumper recesses? I could have done with those a couple of months ago! Ended up making some up out of lower rear corner repair panels as that's all I could find. I have a replacement rocker from Tabco, really good quality compared to the thin repair panels we usually get on this side of the pond.

I'm so sick of welding... still have the floors and frame rails to do. Oh did I mention it's snowing its ass off? Couldn't feel my legs by the time I got back into the house today!

Edited by morbias

Thanks for posting...my car has zero rust on the body panels, but underneath....holy smokes!!    Your pics will help tons while I make a plan of attack.  I have the plasma, the tig, and the mig sitting by the lift ready to start...I just need to make that first cut!

I ordered the inner wheel arches directly from Tabco I believe.  BTW, we ordered the MSA rear valance piece.  It's not curved like OEM so we ended up not using it.  Likewise, we have extra pieces from the full rear quarters I had that I didn't use.  It's pieces from the wheel arches on back towards the rear.  I'll post pictures of the extra metal we have in the classified section to see if there's any interest.  I have two extra rear hatches now too.  One with glass, one without.  Also have part of a front fender.  I see you're in the UK so all this is likely moot.  BTW love that UK car show, Wheeler Dealers.  Those guys need to restore a 240Z. 

Is this the rear valence you are talking about?  http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SBC1C02/30-7240

If you didn't use that, what did you use?  Did you just use sheet metal bent to fit?  If so, what type of place did you get it from?

My car's rear end was pretty rusted and I planned on going with a shaved rear so I have been looking around town to find someone who can produce a panel like that (except smooth) without any luck.  I'd really rather not spend $250 on that panel if I can help it.

Yes, that's the panel.  OEM is curved.  MSA replacement piece is flat going from R to L.  It has the correct top to bottom curve but not the side to side.  We would have to use a wheel to get the curve to OEM specifications.  We ended up just doing our own fabrication.

Damn, Just the answer I wasn't hoping for.  These are the times when I wish I had my own fabrication tools (english wheel, shrinker/stretcher, sheet metal brake).  I guess I will just continue searching for someone locally who can do what I need.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the response 240zip, much appreciated! I'm going to hold off just for now...sometime between me posting here and you responding I managed to get a hold of someone at Tabco who says they can make the part we need! Sooo, if it's the right thing, then I'm good to go! If not, I'll be in touch! :P