HybridZ

Mustang Taillights on 240Z in Norway

Meguiars

Hi, im  a guy from Norway that just have bought me my dream. 71 240z from USA. It will arrive to Norway in the start of March. See link. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S30-/271120413592?item=271120413592&ViewItem=&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1183

I have to convert the taillight to Euro mod, i was thinking of using MUstang 05- taillights. 

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Ford-LED-Tail-Lights-Lamps-s/230.htm

http://improvepurchase.shopreviewbuycheapse1.com/2013/01/03/0508-ford-mustang-euro-led-taillights-black/

http://www.ilovebodykits.com/category/122/Ford-_Mustang/Taillights_clear_taillights_euro_taillights.html

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/05-09-Ford-MUSTANG-Chrome-Red-LED-Tail-Lights-p/lt-mst05r-sq-tm.htm

What do you guys and girls think of that? Im not sure if the size is to big since i dont have the measerment of the lamps, anyone got that both for mustang and the original 240z taillights.

Im sorry but my English is not to good.

Anyone seen this before on 240z?  

Edited by Meguiars

I wanted to do that to mine as Im currently  doing the body work for paint. I made a template of the Z tail recese area, and matched it on a mustang and the mustang tail light lens was about an inch too tall if I remember corretly and that doesnt figure in the housing either.  I would  double check before I bought the mustang tails but I came to the conclusion It woult not fit, would look bad asss though as they have the sequintial flash option.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that most of you on here have already seen this, but I'm posting it again, with the hopes that it'll answer some of the questions regarding fitting the Mustang tail lights into the rear of a 240/260/280 (First Generation Style) Z.  Keep in mind, this install was done on an 82 280ZXT, which we already know has MUCH larger tail lights than the 240/260/280.  

Also, keep in mind that the leader screen and trailer screen were in response to a few purists who said I'd be messing up "MY" car by doing this body modification.  Don't be offended, just "Get Over It"... It's MY car.

Click for Video

(you might want to right-click and save as, as it's a LARGE (13.9 Meg) file and may not play properly using a single click)

Edited by Warren

can I just say congrats on stealing that pristine 240Z away from me! I live hours away and you had to ship it overseas-how was that process?

HAHA, I was quite exited when the bidding was ongoing, i took a chance since i didnt have the opportunity to see the car by my self. The car i arriving on the 3 march, so im hoping the car doesnt have to much rust or technical good shape, the color didnt mather since im gonna paint it in another color anyway. 

So Sorry about stealing the car from you, but just so you know i was willing to pay up to 5 K for this exact car.

have a good one.

//Stian

Edited by Meguiars

I'm pretty sure that most of you on here have already seen this, but I'm posting it again, with the hopes that it'll answer some of the questions regarding fitting the Mustang tail lights into the rear of a 240/260/280 (First Generation Style) Z.  Keep in mind, this install was done on an 82 280ZXT, which we already know has MUCH larger tail lights than the 240/260/280.  

Also, keep in mind that the leader screen and trailer screen were in response to a few purists who said I'd be messing up "MY" car by doing this body modification.  Don't be offended, just "Get Over It"... It's MY car.

Click for Video

(you might want to right-click and save as, as it's a LARGE (13.9 Meg) file and may not play properly using a single click)

Hi nice video, im still not sure if it will fit on my 71, 240. i just have to wait until the car arrives so i can do some measuments, but ithink it looks nice thoug. 

//Stian

I installed 1965 Mustang Tail Lights onto my daughter's 76 280Z. I removed the stock tail lights, surrounds, and license plate holder first:

2012-09-08_12-58-31_436.jpg

I then used 1/2" foam insulation sheet and laid out the tail light surrounds and license plate holder on the sheet in their mounted positions tracing the general shape into the foam. I cut out the template and shaped it to fit into the rear end:

2012-09-09_12-23-40_611.jpg

I measured center and spaced the Mustang tail lights properly and then test fit the Mustang parts in place:

2012-09-09_12-43-38_984.jpg

Once I was happy with the test fit and template design, I took the template to my local machine shop and for a very reasonable cost they cut my template out of 18 gauge steel. I spot welded the new plate in place and the car went into paint earlier this week. Sorry forgot to take photos of the spot welded piece. Will stop by tomorrow morning and take a pic or two and post it after the plate is fully welded and finished.

Once back from paint I'll finish the re-wiring of the tail lights since the Mustang uses a single combination bulb instead of multiple bulbs and I'll relocate the backup lights to the MSA Rear Skirt opening using LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Click for Video

You wouldn't happen to have a write up made for this would you?

That would be swell.