HybridZ

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Mdantonio

There is a thumbnail of the covers at the bottom of Mdantonio first post.  It looks like the bolt holes are in the location of the "early" covers which appear to have been the ones that had some fitment and quality problems.  I have attached a link that shows the "early" and "late" buckets and the placement of the bolt holes.

http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/

Regardless of early or late, I am having chucks made, and, the trim ring options are polished solid aluminum (Will be posting pics of the first set this week), fiberglass, and true carbon fiber.  I haven't had any fitment issues with the set I have and if there were any fitment issues they can be easily corrected with the chucks being made.  Please also keep in mind I am having these professionally made, not in my garage, but by professional CNC machine shops and fabrication shops.  Not a hack job..... 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a thumbnail of the covers at the bottom of Mdantonio first post.  It looks like the bolt holes are in the location of the "early" covers which appear to have been the ones that had some fitment and quality problems.  I have attached a link that shows the "early" and "late" buckets and the placement of the bolt holes.

http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/http://jdm-car-parts.com/datsunnissan-original-detail/genuine-head-light-covers-for-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-come-in-2-types/

Also, what you have pointed out has been pionted out early in this thread and referred to as high profile or bubbled and low profile......seems to be more interest in the high profile or bubbled.  I have offered, and would be more than happy to offer both sets if someone would be willing to part with their low profile set.  If anyone is I will have the set returned in tact with a free matching set of the first run from the chucks that are made.  if you have a set of the low profile and are interested please let me know.....

I look forward to your results. I'd be in for a set of aluminium polished, as well as bubbled lenses.  Could you please post a picture of your set of headlight covers? Headlight covers have been known to have conflicting pre-drilled holes among the early and later (flat/bubbled) types.

Mine are with the group making the chucks but they are the "bubbled" or high profile set.  I have offered to anyone with the low profile set if they are willing to submit them to have the chucks made to reproduce them Id send back the originals with a set of the reproduction sets free of charge. 

I am not suggesting that this will be a hack job. I was simply pointing out some differences in the early and late versions of the OEM covers. I appreciate very much what you are doing. Andrew

My apologies, wasn't implying you were....hard to convey tone and context in these forums.....Actually your link clarifies the bubbled vs low profile comments....thanks for the info, kind regards, charles

Ah! My apologies... overlooked the thumbnail. 

Question: was there a difference in the trim ring dimensions (width between the early and later versions)? I think polished aluminum will better than either but if one had more depth or width I can make that adjustment now. Anyone know?

Charles,  thanks for taking this on, I hope you succeed!

If you do, I'd probably get two sets of covers and one set of trim rings. (If that would be OK with you). I'd paint one pair body color (love that look) and the other set I'd leave clear for occasional night use.

Would you foresee any problems, any wear and tear issues with the hardware or whatever, in swapping these puppies maybe 2-3 times a month?

Steve

I am curious as to the claim there were "two types of factory headlight covers"---I only have ever received from Nissan the "high profile" type, and was told in Japan that the "low profile" types were aftermarket reproductions of the stock Nissan unit.

I ordered from Nissan for years, never had a second part number to order other than what I always used (it superseded, if memory serves) but I only ever got the "High Profile" style.

I did recently (last year) buy a set of aftermarket sets at the Odaiba Swap Meet outside Tokyo, they were advertised as such, and are identical to the "Low Profile" you show in your photo.

Do you have part numbers for the originals or some place I could look into this further? My 75 & 77 Fairlady had those covers, as did my 71... and they all seemed to have the High Profile covers. Maybe someone swapped buckets. That link is somewhat lacking in depth of information. My OEM buckets from my 75 went onto the early car I had with FRP buckets so that bolt pattern thing is really screwing with my head as to how it happened. Maybe Alan can clear the air, he probably knows... Maybe I go digging at Classic ZC...

I am curious as to the claim there were "two types of factory headlight covers"---I only have ever received from Nissan the "high profile" type, and was told in Japan that the "low profile" types were aftermarket reproductions of the stock Nissan unit.

I ordered from Nissan for years, never had a second part number to order other than what I always used (it superseded, if memory serves) but I only ever got the "High Profile" style.

I did recently (last year) buy a set of aftermarket sets at the Odaiba Swap Meet outside Tokyo, they were advertised as such, and are identical to the "Low Profile" you show in your photo.

Do you have part numbers for the originals or some place I could look into this further? My 75 & 77 Fairlady had those covers, as did my 71... and they all seemed to have the High Profile covers. Maybe someone swapped buckets. That link is somewhat lacking in depth of information. My OEM buckets from my 75 went onto the early car I had with FRP buckets so that bolt pattern thing is really screwing with my head as to how it happened. Maybe Alan can clear the air, he probably knows... Maybe I go digging at Classic ZC...

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I have are what is being identified as the "early" high profile or "bubbled" version. I would have thought it odd for datsun/Nissan to retool to a later version absent some fundamental design change and the production years and transitions in from the 240-260-280 would make it odd they would spend the money to retool a low profile version. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions. However, my engine work is being done by someone who would know aS he built nissansdatsun race cars for years....I'll ask him perhaps next week when I see him. The bottom line though is if there is enough intereat in the low profile, aftermarket or not, I'll get the buck made but I'd need to know soon.

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I have are what is being identified as the "early" high profile or "bubbled" version. I would have thought it odd for datsun/Nissan to retool to a later version absent some fundamental design change and the production years and transitions in from the 240-260-280 would make it odd they would spend the money to retool a low profile version. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions. However, my engine work is being done by someone who would know aS he built nissansdatsun race cars for years....I'll ask him perhaps next week when I see him. The bottom line though is if there is enough intereat in the low profile, aftermarket or not, I'll get the buck made but I'd need to know soon.

Typing on an iPhone please excuse spelling and grammar.

No problem on the spelling. I have never heard the low profile was anything but aftermarket. 

The Nissan Procedure for mounting the rings had you putting in nut plates according to an instruction sheet. It's not like the buckets came drilled from the factory that way.

I wish I had my receipts here for the P/N's. I know I went in with the same P/N for years, but along the way...what I got was different (in number only, it fit the same holes, had the same 'high bump' design.)

I really can't see them going to the 'flatter' version later on---as you said, retooling costs. It was bought and paid for by then! And on top of that, my 75 & 77 are 'late' and in Japan when I got the replacements, they were the "early" design.

I am wondering if someone is confusing "Early" with "Nissan" and "Late-Flat" with "Aftermarket" as they were FAR more prevalent later in the run as the years went on. I know my 75 and 77 Fairlady Z had them from the factory...and they were the 'Early High Profile' style. And that would make no sense whatsoever!

Agreed. I believe the later or low profile to actually be aftermarket. I called Jim Degarde who built race cars with Bob (can never remember his last name but he's well known for his 240-260-280z mods/race) and was advised there was only one oem type to their knowledge and it was what we are referring to as bubbled.

I apologize if I have misled the conversation by stating that there were two versions! I just remembered reading that there was a flat version as well... I could be totally wrong. As Tony mentioned, I hope Alan can chip in here.

Either way, looking forward to these reproductions!!

Charles,  thanks for taking this on, I hope you succeed!

If you do, I'd probably get two sets of covers and one set of trim rings. (If that would be OK with you). I'd paint one pair body color (love that look) and the other set I'd leave clear for occasional night use.

Would you foresee any problems, any wear and tear issues with the hardware or whatever, in swapping these puppies maybe 2-3 times a month?

Steve

Not at all...and happy to tackle this one, long overdue from what I can tell.

I apologize if I have misled the conversation by stating that there were two versions! I just remembered reading that there was a flat version as well... I could be totally wrong. As Tony mentioned, I hope Alan can chip in here.

Either way, looking forward to these reproductions!!

No worries, and there certainly is a lot of confusion out there regarding this topic so good point to clarify.

Unless I missed something there was nothing definitive regarding early vs late in fact unless i read it wrong they seem to be saying the later were aftermarket as we suspected? Or am I misreading or missing something? The bucks are tricky to make however....we'll get it done!

Edited by Mdantonio

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=Mdantonio" post="1041820" time="1361027684]Sorry for delayed response. I am going to see the first polished aluminum set of trim rings on Tuesday/wednesday of this coming week!

Well all I can say is the pictures don't do them justice, the trim rings look incredible! They are snug to the lens all the way around between the ring and lens, and they hold the lens better than the originals. They made the buck for the trim rings and now keep in mind the pics show the rings at 80pct complete. They have yet to be polished and the welds not ground and the bridge on weld in front corner where the band meets is not ground in the one depicted but they are simply incredible. I'll share a pic of the unpolished aluminum band on the lens sitting next to the factory trim ring and lens. I will have the trim rings in final form all polished to mirror finish complete by Wednesday of next week.

post-35766-0-86398600-1361383198_thumb.jpg