HybridZ

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Mdantonio

I'd like a set of the clear with polished aluminum rings.  Looking forward to seeing the final installed fit, when you can.  

Oh, and isn't there a forum for group buys?  I just happened to visit this forum for like the second time ever and saw this.  I think you should post something about this in other forums as is appropriate so some more people will see it - if that is a good thing.  :P

G

Edited by inline6

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a set of the clear with polished aluminum rings.  Looking forward to seeing the final installed fit, when you can.  

Oh, and isn't there a forum for group buys?  I just happened to visit this forum for like the second time ever and saw this.  I think you should post something about this in other forums as is appropriate so some more people will see it - if that is a good thing.  :P

G

I have been inundated with requests so not quite ready but I did agree to have two bucks made for the low and high profile lenses.  We mirrored the OEM trim ring but since we are using polished aluminum it is always going to look different than the cheaper pressed chromed metal trim ring so I hope everyone keeps that in mind.  There has been so much debate over the high and low profile and suggestions that a third set existed (Which I very much doubt) that just to be sure I am willing to pay for a confirmation CAD scan image comparison of a set of high profiles of another member to compare to the high profiles I have in hand.  If not, I will simply go with the ones I have as they are very much consistent with the low and high profile ones depicted throughout this thread.  Id like to be 100% certain but if not I am moving forward with those in hand.   They will be offered in high or low profile in smoked, clear, and just about any other color offered in polycarbonate.  The lens bucks are taking longer than anticipated but I expect to have the first run of the lenses by months end with the caveat that its in the hands of the manufacturer so I am somewhat at their mercy.  

Edited by Mdantonio

A couple of questions;

will we beable to purchase the rings(bucks) unfinished- for those of use that would want to paint them?

I have never seen a real set in person but always wondered if there was any sealing aspect to the covers. Another words is there a way the covers seal to the headlight bucket to keep moisture out?   

A

A couple of questions;

will we beable to purchase the rings(bucks) unfinished- for those of use that would want to paint them?

I have never seen a real set in person but always wondered if there was any sealing aspect to the covers. Another words is there a way the covers seal to the headlight bucket to keep moisture out?   

They don't necessarily "seed" to the bucket. There was a gasket (someone correct me if I'm wrong) between the lens and the trim ring which obviously sat on top of the lens (actually it fit snug to the lens, and a gasket between the lens bottom and the headlight bucket.

And absolutely you can order them to be painted. We will have a carbon fiber and fiberglass version for that purpose

It's hard to picture what you are saying-wish i could see how it fits together.

I might still want the aluminum ring, but unpolished-but I will wait to see your offerings!!

I posted a picture of the unpolished aluminum trim ring earlier in the thread. If your painting to match your car then personally a fiberglass trim ring would be a better option in my opinion. If your going to annodize or powder coat probably the polished aluminum and if its just paint to match again I'd personally use fiberglass. I'll post the options when done.

I would be interested in G nose rings. I can make the lense no problem (its pretty easy since there isnt any hard bends). I also know a guy who would want a set , I will tell him about this thread. =)

I would think the G nose rings would be easier to make since they don't have that 90 degree bend.

If you don't have access to a G nose, i understand. Think you can give me a width measurement of your rings? Just so i can get an idea if i try to cut a ring out myself. I just can't figure out how i would cut it clean like that lol

Edited by Hypertek

• 4 weeks later...

I am very interested in these. One set would be polished aluminum and the other would be unpolished aluminum because I will have that set powder-coated. I have a friend here in Wisconsin that actaully does metal-flake powder coating, not that is what I will be doing. I just know that he is extremely meticulous in his work.

Please pm me when orders are being placed.

Newtownhubcap

Sorry folks, went on vacation for two weeks the lenses and lens rings are moving I

Along nicely, a few setbacks in the lens design code for the molds but otherwise close....I'll give more detail later today.

Any updates on availability to provide everyone with?

G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates. I mentioned my wife struggles with some health issues from time to time and had to focus on family. I have all the rings ready and have to approve the lenses. We're very close and I'll have hard cost data to share next week.

Mdantonio, this is good news to hear about the rings but hope to hear good news about your wife's health. I know that we are all excited to see and order the rings but we all need to remember- "we need to take care of the home life and the one's we love". Best wishes and good health.

Will be waiting for the good news on both fronts!!

Newtonhubcap

They look fantastic ,Would definitely be interested in a set for my 260 if you could ship to Aus . Sure there would be quite 

a few potential purchasers here! Well done! Look forward to updates.

Mdantonio, Aus260 is right, there would be a lot of people here in Australia interested - me being one of them :icon10:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone and sorry for the delay as I posted prior dealing with some health issues. I would say to posts regarding this project status if you will look at earlier posts Ive included the aluminum rings which are in production and available. I have molds of both lenses cast and am reluctant to give them to the local glass manufacturer which has changed hands and names more than three times. I'll post more detail and Answer recent questions tonight. Thanks for your patience and anyone wanting polished aluminum rings for their existing lenses I can provide them now.

Edited by Mdantonio