HybridZ

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Mdantonio

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post pricing for the whole set up, lenses and rings, on Monday. Remember that aluminum in this thickness is more malleable than cast pieces but having both side by side (original chromed rings vs polished aluminum) is like comparing a ford festiva to a Bentley. There is no comparison.

In reading the questions they appear to be focused on dates, prices, and types of materials.  Just to clarify:  There are two types of lenses, what have been referred to as bubbled (raised) or a flat lens which flows flush with the car.  There were debates as to which was OEM and which was aftermarket but regardless I had the cad files done on both and molds for both can be offered.  These lenses cannot be made with a plaster mold covered in felt, the concave feature of the lens requires a mold which was very expensive.    Some of the lens or plastic manufacturers require they make their own buck and have minimum runs that are excessive.  I found one that I can work with but I am not certain they would be around in time so I am looking at others at the moment. The lenses will be available in just about any color (tint).  

The polished or brushed aluminum trim rings are available now, if anyone has lenses and wants the trim rings made of polished aluminum please let me know and I will send instructions.  You will need to send your existing lenses to the manufacturer, they fit the triim rings to your lens, literally, and its a very snug fit.  The trim rings are made from a buck by hand, not molded or cut by a machine.  They are truly an outstanding piece.  

We are going to offer the trim rings in fiberglass as well and the chrome for those looking to match the original piece.  We won't offer those two items until the lenses are in full production.  I did get two sets of lenses we are using to fit the aluminum rings for production of the aluminum rings with new ring lens combos but if you want a set for your existing lenses you would need to send them to the facility for fitment.  If they have been cut, warped, drilled, etcetera we would risk you being unhappy with the aluminum trim ring unless its fitted to your current lens.  

I can tell you my aluminum rings for my existing lenses do not fit the two new lenses.....so you would need to get comfortable with shipping your existing lenses if you want aluminum trim rings for your existing lenses. 

The installation must be done with care of course, polished aluminum scratches easily etc.......please be patient, this was/is not a cheap or easy effort.  Thanks again!

Edited by Mdantonio

Thanks for your response, glad to see you are still around on this project.  :icon10:

I am interested in a set for G nose, i know you probably haven't got a set of G nose rings yet.

I would mail you my headlight buckets, but mine are 1 piece molded unless I chop it. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/s720x720/318186_10151364015998557_174214903_n.jpg

The lense for g nose is the easy part

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/377749_10151365127703557_2084727509_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s720x720/734951_10151365281418557_720817300_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/64833_10151386514653557_911921266_n.jpg

I got a buddy who also needs a set for G nose, if that would help to mail the buckets to your fabricator? 

I have never seen a real set in person but always wondered if there was any sealing aspect to the covers. Another words is there a way the covers seal to the headlight bucket to keep moisture out?

I owned a set or two...the sealant Nissan used is dismal, water WILL get in there. Then condense. The rally cars drilled drain holes to keep "sloshing" water from building up... The G-Nosed car I saw in Holland actually had a loop of copper tubing with coolant circulating in it to "defog/deice" the covers. Nice touch.

With the way the bucket seals to the fender, and the way the headlight seals to the fender, splash will put something in there and the gasket will keep it in there!

I think the gaskets really only function is to keep the parts from physically touching the paint so a vibration scenario doesn't dig into the finish! As a water exclusion method, as stated, they're dismal!

The mods are obviously interested...and watching... What say we remove all the previous bumps and "update yet" filler posts from this one...eh?

Long time follower of this post and glad to see Mdantonio is making progress. There is nothing more important than dealing with family issues so I am no hurry for the rings and lenses. When they are availabe they are available.

With that said, I am truly interested in the chrome rings with the lense that will fit the contour of the stock nose (flat lenses I guess).

Thank you for your efforts Mdantonio.

newtonhubcap

• 3 weeks later...

I keep watch on this thread because it is almost my only hope for G nose covers without paying a million dollars from japan. lol

We can add the GNOSE to the mix but we would need to know there is some level of interest enough to cover the cost of cad and mold work for the lenses. However, the lenses for the GNOSE may be much easier to duplicate than the standard z.  The reason the lenses are so difficult to reproduce is because they have a hard convex shape to them much like a corner (Those that own them know what I am talking about) which makes reproduction of the lens require a mold and pour.  In looking at the GNOSE "I THINK" the lenses could be reproduced with a felt covered plaster mold for small runs.  Please take a good picture of the top side and bottom side of your lenses and if their are no hard bends or creases we may be able to turn those around quickly for production.  The cost to bring the standard z to production is well in excess of 10k just for the bucks for the lenses but the gnose may be an entirely different story and MUCH cheaper to duplicate.  I have posted the anticipated cost earlier in this thread for the standard and please post those pics here of the lenses for the gnose if you have them.....

Edited by Mdantonio

I tried to reply to the thread lastnight but the server pooped out. 

318186_10151364015998557_174214903_n.jpg

377749_10151365127703557_2084727509_n.jp

734951_10151365281418557_720817300_n.jpg

58451_10151365498678557_874828172_n.jpg

64833_10151386514653557_911921266_n.jpg

The G nose lens isn't too hard. Heat up the lens in oven, fold over and clamp, and trim. I used lexan as suggested by a friend, but cheaper acrylic plexiglass would have done better I think . I should have used more heat, as my lens tends to want to flatten out when not secured. But I think acrylic would have been easier to work with.  There are no hard bends in G nose lense, just curved. 

Ive tried rubber chrome trim, but that does not curve very well (it wrinkles pretty badly. )

429619_10151389355728557_1024394430_n.jp

575033_10151389302773557_1076869676_n.jp

I would be willing to send you the headlight buckets, but mine are solid, unless I cut them out. Maybe I can in a few weeks when I get the cash. But I also got a friend who has the multi piece G nose, if maybe I can see if he is willing to send them .

Here is a real one, for motivation =)

1268185_10151694661793557_1153946118_o.j

I would think the thickness of the metal rings would be the same as the standard non-G nose, so I am assuming your fabricator could just use the headlight buckets as basis to extending the current rings.

Edited by Hypertek

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Mdantonio, still following the thread. I am still interested in two sets. What is the best way to orders these? Feel free to pm me and we discuss there. Am interested in fiberglass and polished aluminum and how dark is the tint?

Thanks and look forward hearing from you,

Newtonhubcap

Hey Mdantonio, still following the thread. I am still interested in two sets. What is the best way to orders these? Feel free to pm me and we discuss there. Am interested in fiberglass and polished aluminum and how dark is the tint?

Thanks and look forward hearing from you,

Newtonhubcap

Ambitious project and may have turned into a bucket of worms. Pricing for rims was posted a few months ago, but no follow-up soliciting orders or update on lens fabrication.

Perhaps he'll give us an update to keep interest going.

Dennis

• 2 months later...

None of the lenses are glass and the trim rings can be purchased now. The concave bend in the lenses preclude one from simply heating plastic in the oven as can be done with a plaster buck and the g-nose lenses. However, the good news is we finally found a solid Compay that has agreed to meek the lenses at a reasonable price.

If anyone wants the polished aluminum trim rings they are available now.

None of the lenses are glass and the trim rings can be purchased now. The concave bend in the lenses preclude one from simply heating plastic in the oven as can be done with a plaster buck and the g-nose lenses. However, the good news is we finally found a solid Compay that has agreed to meek the lenses at a reasonable price.

If anyone wants the polished aluminum trim rings they are available now.

Care to mention the price for the trim rings and show a picture?

Dennis