HybridZ
Mdantonio

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Ah! My apologies... overlooked the thumbnail. 

Question: was there a difference in the trim ring dimensions (width between the early and later versions)? I think polished aluminum will better than either but if one had more depth or width I can make that adjustment now. Anyone know?

Charles,  thanks for taking this on, I hope you succeed!

If you do, I'd probably get two sets of covers and one set of trim rings. (If that would be OK with you). I'd paint one pair body color (love that look) and the other set I'd leave clear for occasional night use.

Would you foresee any problems, any wear and tear issues with the hardware or whatever, in swapping these puppies maybe 2-3 times a month?

Steve

I am curious as to the claim there were "two types of factory headlight covers"---I only have ever received from Nissan the "high profile" type, and was told in Japan that the "low profile" types were aftermarket reproductions of the stock Nissan unit.

I ordered from Nissan for years, never had a second part number to order other than what I always used (it superseded, if memory serves) but I only ever got the "High Profile" style.

I did recently (last year) buy a set of aftermarket sets at the Odaiba Swap Meet outside Tokyo, they were advertised as such, and are identical to the "Low Profile" you show in your photo.

Do you have part numbers for the originals or some place I could look into this further? My 75 & 77 Fairlady had those covers, as did my 71... and they all seemed to have the High Profile covers. Maybe someone swapped buckets. That link is somewhat lacking in depth of information. My OEM buckets from my 75 went onto the early car I had with FRP buckets so that bolt pattern thing is really screwing with my head as to how it happened. Maybe Alan can clear the air, he probably knows... Maybe I go digging at Classic ZC...

I am curious as to the claim there were "two types of factory headlight covers"---I only have ever received from Nissan the "high profile" type, and was told in Japan that the "low profile" types were aftermarket reproductions of the stock Nissan unit.

I ordered from Nissan for years, never had a second part number to order other than what I always used (it superseded, if memory serves) but I only ever got the "High Profile" style.

I did recently (last year) buy a set of aftermarket sets at the Odaiba Swap Meet outside Tokyo, they were advertised as such, and are identical to the "Low Profile" you show in your photo.

Do you have part numbers for the originals or some place I could look into this further? My 75 & 77 Fairlady had those covers, as did my 71... and they all seemed to have the High Profile covers. Maybe someone swapped buckets. That link is somewhat lacking in depth of information. My OEM buckets from my 75 went onto the early car I had with FRP buckets so that bolt pattern thing is really screwing with my head as to how it happened. Maybe Alan can clear the air, he probably knows... Maybe I go digging at Classic ZC...

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I have are what is being identified as the "early" high profile or "bubbled" version. I would have thought it odd for datsun/Nissan to retool to a later version absent some fundamental design change and the production years and transitions in from the 240-260-280 would make it odd they would spend the money to retool a low profile version. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions. However, my engine work is being done by someone who would know aS he built nissansdatsun race cars for years....I'll ask him perhaps next week when I see him. The bottom line though is if there is enough intereat in the low profile, aftermarket or not, I'll get the buck made but I'd need to know soon.

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I have are what is being identified as the "early" high profile or "bubbled" version. I would have thought it odd for datsun/Nissan to retool to a later version absent some fundamental design change and the production years and transitions in from the 240-260-280 would make it odd they would spend the money to retool a low profile version. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions. However, my engine work is being done by someone who would know aS he built nissansdatsun race cars for years....I'll ask him perhaps next week when I see him. The bottom line though is if there is enough intereat in the low profile, aftermarket or not, I'll get the buck made but I'd need to know soon.

Typing on an iPhone please excuse spelling and grammar.

No problem on the spelling. I have never heard the low profile was anything but aftermarket. 

The Nissan Procedure for mounting the rings had you putting in nut plates according to an instruction sheet. It's not like the buckets came drilled from the factory that way.

I wish I had my receipts here for the P/N's. I know I went in with the same P/N for years, but along the way...what I got was different (in number only, it fit the same holes, had the same 'high bump' design.)

I really can't see them going to the 'flatter' version later on---as you said, retooling costs. It was bought and paid for by then! And on top of that, my 75 & 77 are 'late' and in Japan when I got the replacements, they were the "early" design.

I am wondering if someone is confusing "Early" with "Nissan" and "Late-Flat" with "Aftermarket" as they were FAR more prevalent later in the run as the years went on. I know my 75 and 77 Fairlady Z had them from the factory...and they were the 'Early High Profile' style. And that would make no sense whatsoever!

Agreed. I believe the later or low profile to actually be aftermarket. I called Jim Degarde who built race cars with Bob (can never remember his last name but he's well known for his 240-260-280z mods/race) and was advised there was only one oem type to their knowledge and it was what we are referring to as bubbled.

I apologize if I have misled the conversation by stating that there were two versions! I just remembered reading that there was a flat version as well... I could be totally wrong. As Tony mentioned, I hope Alan can chip in here.

Either way, looking forward to these reproductions!!

Charles,  thanks for taking this on, I hope you succeed!

If you do, I'd probably get two sets of covers and one set of trim rings. (If that would be OK with you). I'd paint one pair body color (love that look) and the other set I'd leave clear for occasional night use.

Would you foresee any problems, any wear and tear issues with the hardware or whatever, in swapping these puppies maybe 2-3 times a month?

Steve

Not at all...and happy to tackle this one, long overdue from what I can tell.

I apologize if I have misled the conversation by stating that there were two versions! I just remembered reading that there was a flat version as well... I could be totally wrong. As Tony mentioned, I hope Alan can chip in here.

Either way, looking forward to these reproductions!!

No worries, and there certainly is a lot of confusion out there regarding this topic so good point to clarify.

Unless I missed something there was nothing definitive regarding early vs late in fact unless i read it wrong they seem to be saying the later were aftermarket as we suspected? Or am I misreading or missing something? The bucks are tricky to make however....we'll get it done!

Edited by Mdantonio

[quote name=Mdantonio" post="1041820" time="1361027684]Sorry for delayed response. I am going to see the first polished aluminum set of trim rings on Tuesday/wednesday of this coming week!

Well all I can say is the pictures don't do them justice, the trim rings look incredible! They are snug to the lens all the way around between the ring and lens, and they hold the lens better than the originals. They made the buck for the trim rings and now keep in mind the pics show the rings at 80pct complete. They have yet to be polished and the welds not ground and the bridge on weld in front corner where the band meets is not ground in the one depicted but they are simply incredible. I'll share a pic of the unpolished aluminum band on the lens sitting next to the factory trim ring and lens. I will have the trim rings in final form all polished to mirror finish complete by Wednesday of next week.

post-35766-0-86398600-1361383198_thumb.jpg

Question: I'n looking at the aluminum trim ring (not polished yet) I like the more flush look of the trim ring to the lens cover. It's a really clean line. I don't think I want to tuck the exposed lip like the underside is to hold the lens. It really hugs the lens nicely. What do you guys think?

post-35766-0-82790300-1361400604_thumb.jpg

Question: I'n looking at the aluminum trim ring (not polished yet) I like the more flush look of the trim ring to the lens cover. It's a really clean line. I don't think I want to tuck the exposed lip like the underside is to hold the lens. It really hugs the lens nicely. What do you guys think?

Long as it's not a sharp edge, I like the look.

Whoa definitely interested.  I'm one of these people that have the reproduction lenses, and definitely not happy with it.  Do these fit the reproduction lenses?
Whoa definitely interested.  I'm one of these people that have the reproduction lenses, and definitely not happy with it.  Do these fit the reproduction lenses?

First to be sure you understand we are reproducing the trim rings and the lenses. As to the rings for the oem fitting the reproduction---Good question, I'm not sure. There are a few in this thread that have both the OEM and reproduction if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone answer that question? I'll post the polished finished versions next week, and, if you like them and they don't fit the reproduction lenses if you'll send the reproduction lenses I'll have bucks made for both. I've offered that early on in the thread and haven't had any takers. You'd get yours back and a set of the new ones made from the bucks.

Sorry, I just kinda skimmed through it right before I left work. Have you figured out pricing on the complete set of the trim and the lense?

Not yet but this isn't a business model for me. I had access to the resources and could get it done one off but the set for continued prodiction wasn't that much more from the one off, well, relatively speaking. I'll have the cost of the trim rings by next week when I get the polished set. And, ill keep updating with regard to the buck for the plastic lenses and associated costs.

Edited by Mdantonio

I'm having them bevel and polish one and then match the other to oem. The snug looks 100pct better than oem in person in my opinion. Maybe we can add that as an option?

I'd definitely prefer the "snug" version. I don't mind an improvement over the OEM piece.  You may need the OEM versions for the restoration guys.

Steve

I'd definitely prefer the "snug" version. I don't mind an improvement over the OEM piece.  You may need the OEM versions for the restoration guys.

Steve

There will be oem versions with two trim ring options for the oem and aftermarket set (if we get an aftermarket donor set).

I just noticed that by reproduction lenses it appears you meant the ones currently offered through motorsports and the like? Is that correct? If that's what you meant I am confident these wont fit. The original lens covers went over the headlight bucket and the ones sold today via motorsports As depicted in your picture are snug to the edge of the headlight bucket cut out (originals sit over top of that edge yours are flush with). You'll need the new lenses and trim rings.

Not entirely sure whether I am understanding, but I would honestly prefer whatever looks more OEM, as I am hoping no one without an untrained eye will be able to tell the difference between my OEM and yours. Are you referring to the inside diameter of the frame being 'tucked' or curved?

Sticking with OEM will only help (unless it is badly designed to begin with), straying away from OEM has a higher chance of pushing some audiences away. No one has reproduced the OEM covers in the past (besides a vendor in Japan), and I imagine there will be a TON of people looking to replace their OEM pieces, who have not used other replicas simply because they aren't an OEM match.

Thanks for all your hard work... these look great!

Edited by spitz17