HybridZ

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Mdantonio

Question: I'n looking at the aluminum trim ring (not polished yet) I like the more flush look of the trim ring to the lens cover. It's a really clean line. I don't think I want to tuck the exposed lip like the underside is to hold the lens. It really hugs the lens nicely. What do you guys think?

post-35766-0-82790300-1361400604_thumb.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: I'n looking at the aluminum trim ring (not polished yet) I like the more flush look of the trim ring to the lens cover. It's a really clean line. I don't think I want to tuck the exposed lip like the underside is to hold the lens. It really hugs the lens nicely. What do you guys think?

Long as it's not a sharp edge, I like the look.

Whoa definitely interested.  I'm one of these people that have the reproduction lenses, and definitely not happy with it.  Do these fit the reproduction lenses?
Whoa definitely interested.  I'm one of these people that have the reproduction lenses, and definitely not happy with it.  Do these fit the reproduction lenses?

First to be sure you understand we are reproducing the trim rings and the lenses. As to the rings for the oem fitting the reproduction---Good question, I'm not sure. There are a few in this thread that have both the OEM and reproduction if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone answer that question? I'll post the polished finished versions next week, and, if you like them and they don't fit the reproduction lenses if you'll send the reproduction lenses I'll have bucks made for both. I've offered that early on in the thread and haven't had any takers. You'd get yours back and a set of the new ones made from the bucks.

Sorry, I just kinda skimmed through it right before I left work. Have you figured out pricing on the complete set of the trim and the lense?

Not yet but this isn't a business model for me. I had access to the resources and could get it done one off but the set for continued prodiction wasn't that much more from the one off, well, relatively speaking. I'll have the cost of the trim rings by next week when I get the polished set. And, ill keep updating with regard to the buck for the plastic lenses and associated costs.

Edited by Mdantonio

I'm having them bevel and polish one and then match the other to oem. The snug looks 100pct better than oem in person in my opinion. Maybe we can add that as an option?

I'd definitely prefer the "snug" version. I don't mind an improvement over the OEM piece.  You may need the OEM versions for the restoration guys.

Steve

I'd definitely prefer the "snug" version. I don't mind an improvement over the OEM piece.  You may need the OEM versions for the restoration guys.

Steve

There will be oem versions with two trim ring options for the oem and aftermarket set (if we get an aftermarket donor set).

I just noticed that by reproduction lenses it appears you meant the ones currently offered through motorsports and the like? Is that correct? If that's what you meant I am confident these wont fit. The original lens covers went over the headlight bucket and the ones sold today via motorsports As depicted in your picture are snug to the edge of the headlight bucket cut out (originals sit over top of that edge yours are flush with). You'll need the new lenses and trim rings.

Not entirely sure whether I am understanding, but I would honestly prefer whatever looks more OEM, as I am hoping no one without an untrained eye will be able to tell the difference between my OEM and yours. Are you referring to the inside diameter of the frame being 'tucked' or curved?

Sticking with OEM will only help (unless it is badly designed to begin with), straying away from OEM has a higher chance of pushing some audiences away. No one has reproduced the OEM covers in the past (besides a vendor in Japan), and I imagine there will be a TON of people looking to replace their OEM pieces, who have not used other replicas simply because they aren't an OEM match.

Thanks for all your hard work... these look great!

Edited by spitz17

Not entirely sure whether I am understanding, but I would honestly prefer whatever looks more OEM, as I am hoping no one without an untrained eye will be able to tell the difference between my OEM and yours. Are you referring to the inside diameter of the frame being 'tucked' or curved?

Sticking with OEM will only help (unless it is badly designed to begin with), straying away from OEM has a higher chance of pushing some audiences away. No one has reproduced the OEM covers in the past (besides a vendor in Japan), and I imagine there will be a TON of people looking to replace their OEM pieces, who have not used other replicas simply because they aren't an OEM match.

Thanks for all your hard work... these look great!

I agree and there will be two versions for each headlight trim ring cover type.  One OEM match with two tucked ridges and the non oem with one tucked ridge.  By tucked ridge or lip I mean the upper and lower edge of the OEM trim ring that turned down.  By flush against the headlight lens cover I mean the edge that would have turned down on the plastic lens on laying on the outside of the lens.  I will take pics and have arrowws point to both......To go completely for an OEM look you would have to chrome the aluminum rings, I can get them chromed for those that really want that done but I personally am not a fan of chrome anything. 

To All: The pictures speak for themselves. The trim ring version you see here lays flat against the glass/plastic lens. On the oem trim ring the holes for the screws were pressed through and the depth of the turned down portion on the underside for the screw holes was the depth of the turned down lip that ran the length of the top and bottom edge of the oem trim ring. I suspect the oem rings were designed with the turned lip be ause they were pressed and made of cheaper thinner material that was chromed. . On the polished aluminum trim ring the screw holes are counter sunk into the face of the trim ring which allows for a very snug fit to the plastic lenses.

Thats said, Since I've committed to having an oem match made I'm going to have the buck made for that oem trim match but I must tell you quite frankly next to the polished aluminum trim rings depicted the oem band (chromed) looks cheap and like something you'd pull off a Volkswagen. The oem trim ring really looks cheap as compared to the polished aluminum trim rings. Even with the buck, there is quite a bit of hand work including polishing so the fabricator is asking for 175.00 each trim ring plus shipping (shipping shouldn't be much) so 350/set. We anticipate the lenses will not add substantially to that cost. Take a look at the pics and share your thoughts. I may be able to get a discount for a run of 25 or more...I've attached side by side pictures with the oem trim ring to the right and the polished to the left. As with anything, the advances in technology allow for such an improvement I can't imagine anyone would want an oem replica but we will offer them...

post-35766-0-97213200-1362007124_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-03443100-1362007146_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-30348000-1362007180_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-02999000-1362007216_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-50116700-1362007238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mdantonio

Any chance I can get an idea of how many would like an order of the complete trim rings and lenses? It's not a hard comittment, I want to make sure there's enough interest on offering lens alternatives since its a little pricey to get the bucks. First run will be clear polycarbonate lens with the polished aluminum trim rings as depicted in this chain.