HybridZ
Mdantonio

OEM Style Headlight Covers

Not entirely sure whether I am understanding, but I would honestly prefer whatever looks more OEM, as I am hoping no one without an untrained eye will be able to tell the difference between my OEM and yours. Are you referring to the inside diameter of the frame being 'tucked' or curved?

Sticking with OEM will only help (unless it is badly designed to begin with), straying away from OEM has a higher chance of pushing some audiences away. No one has reproduced the OEM covers in the past (besides a vendor in Japan), and I imagine there will be a TON of people looking to replace their OEM pieces, who have not used other replicas simply because they aren't an OEM match.

Thanks for all your hard work... these look great!

I agree and there will be two versions for each headlight trim ring cover type.  One OEM match with two tucked ridges and the non oem with one tucked ridge.  By tucked ridge or lip I mean the upper and lower edge of the OEM trim ring that turned down.  By flush against the headlight lens cover I mean the edge that would have turned down on the plastic lens on laying on the outside of the lens.  I will take pics and have arrowws point to both......To go completely for an OEM look you would have to chrome the aluminum rings, I can get them chromed for those that really want that done but I personally am not a fan of chrome anything. 

To All: The pictures speak for themselves. The trim ring version you see here lays flat against the glass/plastic lens. On the oem trim ring the holes for the screws were pressed through and the depth of the turned down portion on the underside for the screw holes was the depth of the turned down lip that ran the length of the top and bottom edge of the oem trim ring. I suspect the oem rings were designed with the turned lip be ause they were pressed and made of cheaper thinner material that was chromed. . On the polished aluminum trim ring the screw holes are counter sunk into the face of the trim ring which allows for a very snug fit to the plastic lenses.

Thats said, Since I've committed to having an oem match made I'm going to have the buck made for that oem trim match but I must tell you quite frankly next to the polished aluminum trim rings depicted the oem band (chromed) looks cheap and like something you'd pull off a Volkswagen. The oem trim ring really looks cheap as compared to the polished aluminum trim rings. Even with the buck, there is quite a bit of hand work including polishing so the fabricator is asking for 175.00 each trim ring plus shipping (shipping shouldn't be much) so 350/set. We anticipate the lenses will not add substantially to that cost. Take a look at the pics and share your thoughts. I may be able to get a discount for a run of 25 or more...I've attached side by side pictures with the oem trim ring to the right and the polished to the left. As with anything, the advances in technology allow for such an improvement I can't imagine anyone would want an oem replica but we will offer them...

post-35766-0-97213200-1362007124_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-03443100-1362007146_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-30348000-1362007180_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-02999000-1362007216_thumb.jpg

post-35766-0-50116700-1362007238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mdantonio

Any chance I can get an idea of how many would like an order of the complete trim rings and lenses? It's not a hard comittment, I want to make sure there's enough interest on offering lens alternatives since its a little pricey to get the bucks. First run will be clear polycarbonate lens with the polished aluminum trim rings as depicted in this chain.

I'd like a set of the clear with polished aluminum rings.  Looking forward to seeing the final installed fit, when you can.  

Oh, and isn't there a forum for group buys?  I just happened to visit this forum for like the second time ever and saw this.  I think you should post something about this in other forums as is appropriate so some more people will see it - if that is a good thing.  :P

G

Edited by inline6

I'd like a set of the clear with polished aluminum rings.  Looking forward to seeing the final installed fit, when you can.  

Oh, and isn't there a forum for group buys?  I just happened to visit this forum for like the second time ever and saw this.  I think you should post something about this in other forums as is appropriate so some more people will see it - if that is a good thing.  :P

G

I have been inundated with requests so not quite ready but I did agree to have two bucks made for the low and high profile lenses.  We mirrored the OEM trim ring but since we are using polished aluminum it is always going to look different than the cheaper pressed chromed metal trim ring so I hope everyone keeps that in mind.  There has been so much debate over the high and low profile and suggestions that a third set existed (Which I very much doubt) that just to be sure I am willing to pay for a confirmation CAD scan image comparison of a set of high profiles of another member to compare to the high profiles I have in hand.  If not, I will simply go with the ones I have as they are very much consistent with the low and high profile ones depicted throughout this thread.  Id like to be 100% certain but if not I am moving forward with those in hand.   They will be offered in high or low profile in smoked, clear, and just about any other color offered in polycarbonate.  The lens bucks are taking longer than anticipated but I expect to have the first run of the lenses by months end with the caveat that its in the hands of the manufacturer so I am somewhat at their mercy.  

Edited by Mdantonio

A couple of questions;

will we beable to purchase the rings(bucks) unfinished- for those of use that would want to paint them?

I have never seen a real set in person but always wondered if there was any sealing aspect to the covers. Another words is there a way the covers seal to the headlight bucket to keep moisture out?   

A

A couple of questions;

will we beable to purchase the rings(bucks) unfinished- for those of use that would want to paint them?

I have never seen a real set in person but always wondered if there was any sealing aspect to the covers. Another words is there a way the covers seal to the headlight bucket to keep moisture out?   

They don't necessarily "seed" to the bucket. There was a gasket (someone correct me if I'm wrong) between the lens and the trim ring which obviously sat on top of the lens (actually it fit snug to the lens, and a gasket between the lens bottom and the headlight bucket.

And absolutely you can order them to be painted. We will have a carbon fiber and fiberglass version for that purpose

It's hard to picture what you are saying-wish i could see how it fits together.

I might still want the aluminum ring, but unpolished-but I will wait to see your offerings!!

I posted a picture of the unpolished aluminum trim ring earlier in the thread. If your painting to match your car then personally a fiberglass trim ring would be a better option in my opinion. If your going to annodize or powder coat probably the polished aluminum and if its just paint to match again I'd personally use fiberglass. I'll post the options when done.

I would be interested in G nose rings. I can make the lense no problem (its pretty easy since there isnt any hard bends). I also know a guy who would want a set , I will tell him about this thread. =)

I would think the G nose rings would be easier to make since they don't have that 90 degree bend.

If you don't have access to a G nose, i understand. Think you can give me a width measurement of your rings? Just so i can get an idea if i try to cut a ring out myself. I just can't figure out how i would cut it clean like that lol

Edited by Hypertek

I am very interested in these. One set would be polished aluminum and the other would be unpolished aluminum because I will have that set powder-coated. I have a friend here in Wisconsin that actaully does metal-flake powder coating, not that is what I will be doing. I just know that he is extremely meticulous in his work.

Please pm me when orders are being placed.

Newtownhubcap

Sorry folks, went on vacation for two weeks the lenses and lens rings are moving I

Along nicely, a few setbacks in the lens design code for the molds but otherwise close....I'll give more detail later today.

Any updates on availability to provide everyone with?

G

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates. I mentioned my wife struggles with some health issues from time to time and had to focus on family. I have all the rings ready and have to approve the lenses. We're very close and I'll have hard cost data to share next week.