HybridZ

Leon's Other 260Z

Glad to hear your update. I also started new job since May. Commute from San Jose to South SF is killing me...

Nice to get P30-0032! Are you going to build coilover?

Congrats! I'm commuting from San Bruno to Sonoma so I feel your pain. At least it's 5 miles shorter each way than my old SB-Petaluma commute, but still, it's a 90 mile round trip with SF in between.

Lucky for me, the green car already has coilovers and rebuilt suspension! All I have to do is install the Bilsteins and camber plates. :) I'm sure you're excited to get your Z back on the road soon and try your own P30s out!

Leon, knowing you, you probably already researched this out, but found this article on the bilsteins.. looks like there will be some minor work to get it to fit right

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112252-need-help-to-fit-bilstein-p30-0032-on-my-280z/

Ha, you know I did! With some help, I also sourced the proper gland nuts so all that needs to be done is for me to cut up some spacers to fit the inserts properly.

Also in the plans is a 123ignition distributor but I may have to free up some more funds to accomplish that. Looks like some more parts will be for sale, now that my other Z is sold!

If you put up one of your nismo headers, let me know!!

I've got a collection of 3 old-school L-series headers hanging in the garage now, not sure if I want to break that up! :P

I do have some cool stuff that I may decide to get rid of...

I've got a collection of 3 old-school L-series headers hanging in the garage now, not sure if I want to break that up! :P

I do have some cool stuff that I may decide to get rid of...

I know I saw the post when you added the 3rd! I cant even find one!

The shocks have arrived! I made sure to test-fit the gland nut onto a strut housing to make sure it's correct. I got the part number from John Coffey, thanks again John.

post-3287-0-65282200-1405403231_thumb.jpg

Got the whole setup from AJUSA, who were fantastic to deal with!

Edited by Leon

LEon.

you found bilstein shocks!  WOW!

What springs are you going to use with them (specifically the spring constant and the expected spring compression you are designing for)

On Brian's car,  we are on our second suspension setup.   We got rid of the tokico springs as they are two stiff and moved to the eibach springs.  I'm not sure I like the different spring constants of the Eibach springs (required because the car is lowered and the shock is close to bottoming out at nominal riding height).   I did some research on the bilsteins you chose and because they are shorter, it would allow the suspension designer the ability to lower the car AND center the shock travel AND keep the stock shock housings!  ( Idea is to tap the shock housing an additional x" then cut the top of the housing by that same x")

I cant wait to hear how your car setup is and your comments on your new shocks!

Hey Jim, good to hear from you! The Bilsteins are easy to source as they're designed for the Mk1 VW Rabbit and readily available, unlike the Z-specific ones. It's the gland nuts that are hard to find. The gland nuts make it essentially a plug-and-play deal.

The car has some sort of old-school coilovers with unknown spring rates. The plan is to remove the springs and measure stiffness, and then dyno the shocks to establish a baseline as well as to see if they'll need revalving to match the car. Lucky for me, there's a great shock shop right by my work that can revalve Bilsteins! We also have a home-made shock dyno at our shop in case I want to go crazy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Leon.  

Sounds fantastic!  I really like the way you are going about setting up your car....

When I first started our build, I figured the stock configuration was good enough based on my experience driving the car 25 years ago.   Today, I drive a car which has a multi link suspension with electronic shock leveling and when I take a corner, the car eats it up.  My problem is that I want our Z to have the same handling performance.  ( I know it won't but I want to match the suspension to the car to the best of my ability)

If you do decide to dyno your car and shocks, and you think the shop wouldn't mind a spectator,  I would enjoy dropping bye to watch the process (if you'll have me).  Eventually I  foresee us modifying our existing suspension to include new shocks and coil over springs (for adjustability) machined onto the stock setup (because I want to keep the stock rubber bushings).  

Either way, take pictures!

Leon.  

Sounds fantastic!  I really like the way you are going about setting up your car....

When I first started our build, I figured the stock configuration was good enough based on my experience driving the car 25 years ago.   Today, I drive a car which has a multi link suspension with electronic shock leveling and when I take a corner, the car eats it up.  My problem is that I want our Z to have the same handling performance.  ( I know it won't but I want to match the suspension to the car to the best of my ability)

If you do decide to dyno your car and shocks, and you think the shop wouldn't mind a spectator,  I would enjoy dropping bye to watch the process (if you'll have me).  Eventually I  foresee us modifying our existing suspension to include new shocks and coil over springs (for adjustability) machined onto the stock setup (because I want to keep the stock rubber bushings).  

Either way, take pictures!

Thanks Jim, I know you're a fan of incremental changes and the scientific process yourself!

I hear you on the modern car comparison. I'd love for the Z to handle like an S2000 but that's no easy feat. I'll do my best to get it close. :)

I will document the process and would love to have you come by! I can give you a heads up as far as when I'm planning to do the work.

Lots of work being done, that is the style that just replaces the stock top hat, no slotting or welding required correct?

Please tell me how they turn out!

Correct, no cutting or welding required, straight bolt-in. That's why I went with the DPs! They're very nice pieces, pricey but worth it.

FWIW, they aren't direct replacements for the stock upper strut mount. You need coilovers to use them as the spring seat is for a 2.5" spring. ;)