HybridZ

Leon's Other 260Z

• 2 weeks later...

Little-by-little, we're getting closer. I did a rocker arm wipe pattern check today and will be looking for sources where I can get some new, slightly smaller pads. This was expected as I got new rocker arms which probably have more material on them than my previous ones. I wish I still worked at a place with a surface grinder and magnetic table, where I could just toss them on the table and have at it...

post-3287-0-56723900-1420155430_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got most of the (hopefully) correct size lash pads and the rest are on the way. Had to get .190", .210", and .220" pads. One of them will stay .205". Four different sizes, yeesh...

Also, my birthday present to myself finally arrived!

post-3287-0-34297500-1426392738_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-37573400-1426392942_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-47798200-1426393083_thumb.jpg

post-3287-0-33938500-1426393199_thumb.jpg

:D

Got most of the (hopefully) correct size lash pads and the rest are on the way. Had to get .190", .210", and .220" pads. One of them will stay .205". Four different sizes, yeesh...

Also, my birthday present to myself finally arrived!

attachicon.gifIMG_02041.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_02051.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_02061.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_02071.JPG

:D

Oh man, that Comp wheel. So envious :lol:

Leon.

Are you still playing with lash pads?  last weekend after adjusting rocker arm gap, I noticed my rocker arms slightly hitting the edge of the cup that holds the lash pads on top of the valves.  I am sure this is an additional cause of valve noise.  If you are looking at lash pads etc, you might also look at the rocker arm just behind where it contacts the lash pad.  I think the fix is to mill the cup that holds the lash pads in place down by about 25 or 30 mils.

Our car is getting better and better with time. Are you going to JCCS this year?  If so it would be fun to catch up.  Jim

Hi Jim,

Actually, just got my final shipment of lash pads in this week! I'll be installing them tomorrow and checking wipe patterns once again. I know what you're talking about regarding valve retainer to rocker arm contact. I noticed that when I first installed my Isky retainers and is why I switched back to stock retainers. Simply switching back to stock will be easier versus milling the ones you have.

I'm definitely planning to be at JCCS and check out the progress you guys have made! :)

Thanks Steve! Progress is good but slow as I haven't prioritized the Z recently.

I did have an original cam reground. I spoke with Ron at Isky Cams about my setup and he recommended their L6 grind. Advertised specs are 0.540" lift at 270* duration (going off memory). It still idles pretty smoothly and has a really meaty torque curve.

I would like to do a cam upgrade just for street use, what did that with rockers and pads set you back?

Is your competition wheel a NOS or a replica?

How much was the wheel you got from the yahoo auction and What's the condition of the leather after all these years?

Steve

I would like to do a cam upgrade just for street use, what did that with rockers and pads set you back?

Is your competition wheel a NOS or a replica?

How much was the wheel you got from the yahoo auction and What's the condition of the leather after all these years?

Steve

In a perfect world, rockers and pads would have run me a little over $200. Since I had to redo everything after wiping the first cam, it's probably double that. :wacko:  Plus, when I bought the cam I also bought retainers and lash pads from Isky which I didn't end up using (due to lack of experience). The lash pads were too thick and the retainers didn't work for the thinner lash pads I ended up using. FWIW, Isky charges a very reasonable rate for having your cam reground.

The comp wheel is NOS from the Nismo 10th Anniversary production run in '96. The "leather" is actually cleverly-molded urethane. It's in great shape and has held up well, the previous owner never used it. I decided to finally buy one because of how strong the dollar has been lately, making the conversion rate more favorable. It was under $600, shipped to my doorstep.

I've been dragging my feet! Once the car is back on the road, I will take it to my shop where I'm storing the Bilsteins, camber plates, and rear disk conversion. In order to get it back on the road, I need to do a final lash pad check, finalize carb linkage, and finish my fuel routing. Like I said, dragging my feet...

At this rate, you'll have your Bilsteins in before mine!

Edited by Leon