HybridZ
Leon

Leon's Other 260Z

Leon    35

Worked on the car after work during this past week, culminating in a final push on Saturday night to have it ready for Blackhawk Cars & Coffee (why does it always happen this way... :rolleyes:). Finally fired her up at 12:30am, fixed some minor issues, and synced the carbs!

Got in a few hours of sleep and made the hour-long drive up to Blackhawk early this morning and just got back a few hours ago with no issues. I need a weekend of fine-tuning and then I should be ready for some dyno work. :D

I didn't take any photos at C&C but snapped one at a buddy's house just after a light sprinkling of rain.

post-3287-0-98697600-1475465186_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon

Leon    35

Fiddled around a bit today, finally fixing my linkage so it can go 100% WOT. I realized I have zero videos of this thing actually running so I thought I'd take a video clip to prove that it has at least run at some point. :lol:

https://youtu.be/4zBHPFeDFno

Edited by Leon

Leon    35

The time has come, I finally made it to the dyno today! Tuning was done on the Dynapack at the shop I used to work at, Works Motorsports at Sonoma Raceway. :)

post-3287-0-76467400-1477201845_thumb.jpg

Swami joined for the day, driving in on my old 260Z which he's done a great job cleaning up! We did some carb-sync work on it while he was there and I took a test drive for old time's sake. That Z is so dialed!

post-3287-0-71672600-1477201875_thumb.jpg

I played with various combos of jetting along with the crappy F11 e-tubes and ended up at 135/F11/110 (main/tube/air). This was the best combo I found from my Weber stash but far from perfect, as there is a big rich spot that's causing the torque dip in the midrange that I minimized but could not get rid of. The F11 tube is to blame, I'm planning to alleviate that...

post-3287-0-58713100-1477201878_thumb.png

Once jetting was done, I played with timing. First using the ZX distributor and then the 123ignition tune-able unit. I optimized timing with the E12-80 before swapping to the 123. Interestingly enough, I didn't get any appreciable peak gains from the 123. I have a feeling that if I clean up the midrange fueling, the 123 may make more of a difference. All said and done, peak timing was 34 degrees.

Needless to say, I was very happy with the results and surprised that I could run at 11:1 compression with 34 degrees of advance on 91 octane! Guess I have the P90 to thank for that. :D When I originally build this motor, I was hoping for 200hp at the crank and I almost hit it at the wheels!

post-3287-0-60433000-1477201877_thumb.png

The yellow line is with the mesh filters and the red line is without. Looks like those filters are worth about 6hp.

I'd like to do another dyno visit in a few months to address the mixture issue and play with cam timing, either with the stock sprocket or an adjustable one (which I'd have to source).

Very happy with this! Videos to come as Swami was the videographer for the day. ;)

madkaw    18

Nice numbers . I guess there's something true about that squish stuff :)

I plan on at least 11:1 on my build but will be using the mn47 . I can get 93 out here so sounds like I'm good . Making that power with 34 all in also confirms my research . Congrats

ryant67    6

Thanks Ryan, you should put it on the dyno and find out! Bring your jets... :)

In the Spring I hope.  Winter storage is looming large at the moment.  My biggest concern in dyno'ing the car is with finding a shop with someone familiar with Mikunis.  I know a bit, but having a tuner that understands the carbs and can make educated recommendations based upon prior experience would be ideal.  I might have to drive do to New England or Virginia to find that though.  

I will be interesting to compare numbers, since we should both be running the same camshaft, but with different heads, ignitions, carbs, and so on.  

Leon    35

In the Spring I hope.  Winter storage is looming large at the moment.  My biggest concern in dyno'ing the car is with finding a shop with someone familiar with Mikunis.  I know a bit, but having a tuner that understands the carbs and can make educated recommendations based upon prior experience would be ideal.  I might have to drive do to New England or Virginia to find that though.  

I will be interesting to compare numbers, since we should both be running the same camshaft, but with different heads, ignitions, carbs, and so on.  

Gotcha. I'm not familiar enough with Mikunis but maybe you can find someone that does remote tunes, i.e. rent a dyno and have the tuner on-call via phone/email as you tune. You can email graphs and they recommend changes. I did this for a few customers when I was the tuner at Works.

It would definitely be interesting to compare, although unfortunately comparing numbers on different dynos is pretty much useless. I've seen as much as 50hp swings between dynos with the same car. Looks like you'll have to make a trip out to Northern California! :D

Leon    35

It's been a while and there's actually not too much to report which is a good thing! I drive the Z once every week or two. However, there are a few annoying things to take care of:

Rev-hang when shifting and blipping the throttle. This does not seem to be a linkage problem but a fueling or vacuum leak issue. The car idles well but sometimes hangs at 3k RPM before dropping. The bigger issue is that there just needs to be more fine-tuning done with the idle/transition circuit. I get pops out the carbs during highway cruise once in a while and have a tip-in stumble. Looking forward to sticking in Keith Franck's jets once I have some more time to tune.

I also feel the engine leaning out at high RPM even though the dyno showed good AFR at high RPM. This indicates a weak fuel pump (O'Reilly-special thumper) which I'm looking to upgrade.

Otherwise, I've still got the 3.9 CLSD waiting to go in whenever I get to it. That should wake the car up quite a bit although I do enjoy the long gearing of the 3.54 for cruising. :)