HybridZ

Leon's Other 260Z

Born in tokyo, wife lives in Odessa. I picked up a gto project. Came with a 260z. So I stripped it. All the glass all the wiring and instruments. Everything. Came with a 240 motor. Supposedly hi-comp, big cam, all the right valve train and a triple dellorto set up, lighten fly wheel and 2 trans. Contemplating getting rid of all if it.

Also have genuine parts for the gto, lights and emblems and latches. A cobra monza cap... Etc. None of which I will use. I building this to suit my taste not to build a replica. Besides all my Ferrari friends would have a cow if I built a recreation. Purist you know))))

If you know Slo. I used to work for Phil's machine shop, performance machine and was the engine builder at Xk's unlimited.

Graduated Calpoly aero/me double major. Probably know some of your professors.

Cool stuff! Is the GTO project a 240Z conversion? I've been to XK's Unlimited a few times, really cool shop. Since I was in SLO for school, I used the on-campus machine shops (The Hangar mostly), so I don't have a great knowledge of machine shops in SLO.

That's a hell of a double-major! I'm an ME, so I bet you did have some of the same professors. The car was Fab's, if you ever had him. :)

I got a 260z rolling chassie with the kit.  It was pretty wiped out.  Hey i got an early 5 spd with bolt on bellhousing and drive shaft and a later 5 spd.  Which is better?

i graduated in 85, i think i'm a lot older than you))))  Yeah i was the engine builder there at XK,  built the aluminum 427 side oiler in Jasons cobra and Jay Leno's 120.

Edited by Tokyo Drftr

I got a 260z rolling chassie with the kit.  It was pretty wiped out.  Hey i got an early 5 spd with bolt on bellhousing and drive shaft and a later 5 spd.  Which is better?

i graduated in 85, i think i'm a lot older than you))))  Yeah i was the engine builder there at XK,  built the aluminum 427 side oiler in Jasons cobra and Jay Leno's 120.

Nice, both cars I have are early 260s. Later 5-speed has closer ratios, so it's usually preferred. If we want to get really detailed, it depends on what gear ratios you're shooting for.

Yeah, you have just a few years on me. :D Sounds like you've built some awesome stuff, I'm looking forward to stopping by!

Tokyo...

Back in the 80s....  My brother used to drift his Z in the left hand turn lane in preparation for a left hand turn... during 5pm traffic!!!  I used to like to pull rockfords (60MPH on wet pavement, emergency brake, wheel 90 degrees, Release brake, wheel back to 0 degrees, hands on bottom of wheel. look out the rear window, Drive)  with a passenger (sometimes 2) in the car...  

Driving backwards at 50MPH is exhilarating!

Sadly, both of our Zs were totaled...      They were loads of fun!

Edited by JCan

Hey Jim, I got my JCCS pass as well! Driving the Z is the plan. I have the tickets and hotel reservations, so I better be. Can't wait to pick your and Tokyo Drftr's respectful brains! I'll be pulling the valve cover tomorrow to re-lube the cam and spin it over again to see if we get oil out the cam holes. Otherwise, I'm in the process of redoing my fuel system, I think you'll like it. :)

In other news, I also bought a new set of wheels which should be arriving on Friday. Hopefully, the car will be registered, insured, and running by the end of the week. Wishful thinking, I know. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'm waiting upon the pertinent parts to arrive. I just had to order more fuel system stuff today, but I've left the cobbled fuel system in place in case I want to start the car before changing things up.

I also need to do the front brakes on the S2k in preparation for Saturday's autocross day... Yeesh!

Phew! The oil system is finally primed. After lots of cranking, we still didn't have oil at the cam. I removed the oil pressure sender and the gallery was dry. I had to re-prime the oil pump and then more cranking until the hallelujah moment of oil squirting out the cam lobe! Now to finish off the fuel system and finally attempt to fire this weekend. :)

Bought tires today (Bridgestone RE-11A if anyone's curious, good deal on them at Tirerack right now) and got a test-piece from the plating shop:

DSCN2686_zps8816e811.jpg

Can't wait to get the rest of the parts back tomorrow!

Leon, I have to warn you, plating old steel is addictive!  You start out with one thing then look to the left and add another, and then another, soon all the pieces in your car look new again!  I found the clamps to hold the choke hoses in place on my project....   I havnt installed them cause they have not been plated...  A terrible disease!

Your relay cover looks great!

Man, you're telling me Jim! I was looking in my engine bay yesterday thinking, "dang, I should've plated this, and this, and this..." :D

At this point, I want to get my own plating kit since this stuff can get expensive. Just didn't have the time to do it myself this time.

We have ignition!

Made the stupid mistake of setting the distributor exactly right... to the exhaust stroke. Once that was corrected, it started right up! Initial break in went OK besides the coolant temp climbing more than I wanted it to, causing two shut downs. Hopefully things settle down once I hit the open road. Besides that, I've got a few things to cross off the checklist before heading to JCCS (let alone drive it), including registration/insurance, exhaust, bleeding hydraulics, finishing interior, hopefully redoing the fuel system, and a few other things...

Overall, it was a good day and a great weekend. Had a ton of fun at the autocross yesterday!

Edited by Leon

Spent many hours over the last few days getting the car ready to go to JCCS...

We're now resting in SLO and will be in Long Beach Friday night! I realized that I hadn't taken any photos of the "completed" car yet, so I snapped a quick one at a Shell alongside 101 this afternoon...

post-3287-0-79297600-1380259754_thumb.jpg

We're now resting in SLO and will be in Long Beach Friday night! I realized that I hadn't taken any photos of the "completed" car yet, so I snapped a quick one at a Shell alongside 101 this afternoon...

attachicon.gifDSCN2706.JPG

The Car looks so good Leon!  Hows she running?  

attachicon.gifDSCN2706.JPG

Ewww... your car likes shell gas? Almost every car I've ever had didn't like shell. It either ping, made noticeably less power, or got significantly less MPG. My brother's '93 Cobra would hardly run on it. My B16A1 would feel terrible on it. The wife's Accord loses at least 2 MPG on it. And on and on.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've resorted to only buying their gas if absolutely necessary. The only reason I know the Accord doesn't like it is because on a road trip someone else was buying the gas and sure enough, consistent MPG before that thank, and the tanks after, but THAT tank was noticeably down...