HuD 91gt

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the pictures! Simple enough!

1971 240z - Balanced .040 over L28 w/ Ported P90 head - Colt c542.s cam, SU w/SM needles, MSII (ignition)- LS2 Coils Wasted Spark, MSA Premium Exhaust - 6-3-2 Header

#322 Leon

Leon

Tremendous grasp of the obvious.

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Haha yeah, I would imagine they're relatively short! It's something I'm actually thinking of doing in the future when I start to become really serious with the engine. Funny enough, I found myself grabbing a complete E31 head not too long ago. Still deciding whether to hold off the head for when I acquire an F54 block, or just slap it on my existing L24 block. Decisions, decisions.

On that note, I'm living a lot closer to you these days. As a matter of fact, I just live a couple of minutes away from Yoshi, and I see him nearly every week. So seeing the car is actually a pretty good possibility  :lol:

Sweet man, I haven't been at Yoshi's in a little while. I need to get this Z put back together... :)

#323 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the pictures! Simple enough!

No problem! ;)

#324 bradyzq

bradyzq

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

Small dowel pins also work for locating the intake on the head.

Sounds/looks like a great job was done. Enjoy your newfound flow and det resistance.
Cheers,
-Brady
72 240Z w triples
and a bunch of 5 cylinder quattros

#325 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:24 PM

Small dowel pins also work for locating the intake on the head.

Sounds/looks like a great job was done. Enjoy your newfound flow and det resistance.

Thanks Brady!

The head is back on the block as of last night, I did end up using a gasket for the intake/exhaust (had already bought a Nissan gasket) and trimming it around the locating pins. I even installed an L28 head gasket this time! :P

I'll be doing my best to work on it in the evenings this week. There shouldn't be much left to make it run, just need to reassemble the carbs, put a few odds and ends together, fill with fluids, prime, and do my third break-in in about 1500 miles.

There are some other things I'd like to do but that can wait until it's back on the road. :D

#326 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Worked on the car after work during this past week, culminating in a final push on Saturday night to have it ready for Blackhawk Cars & Coffee (why does it always happen this way... :rolleyes:). Finally fired her up at 12:30am, fixed some minor issues, and synced the carbs!

Got in a few hours of sleep and made the hour-long drive up to Blackhawk early this morning and just got back a few hours ago with no issues. I need a weekend of fine-tuning and then I should be ready for some dyno work. :D

I didn't take any photos at C&C but snapped one at a buddy's house just after a light sprinkling of rain.

Attached File  IMG_16341.JPG   147.65KB   1 downloads

Edited by Leon, 02 October 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#327 dmoralesbello

dmoralesbello

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationKey Biscayne, FL, USA

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:35 AM

Those JDM tail lights look amazing on your car. Nice job.

05/78 280Z HLS30-465628

#328 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

Those JDM tail lights look amazing on your car. Nice job.

Thank you! :)

#329 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Fiddled around a bit today, finally fixing my linkage so it can go 100% WOT. I realized I have zero videos of this thing actually running so I thought I'd take a video clip to prove that it has at least run at some point. :lol:

https://youtu.be/4zBHPFeDFno

Edited by Leon, 09 October 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#330 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

The time has come, I finally made it to the dyno today! Tuning was done on the Dynapack at the shop I used to work at, Works Motorsports at Sonoma Raceway. :)

Attached File  DSCN3172.JPG   112.31KB   1 downloads

Swami joined for the day, driving in on my old 260Z which he's done a great job cleaning up! We did some carb-sync work on it while he was there and I took a test drive for old time's sake. That Z is so dialed!

Attached File  DSCN3174.JPG   100.2KB   2 downloads

I played with various combos of jetting along with the crappy F11 e-tubes and ended up at 135/F11/110 (main/tube/air). This was the best combo I found from my Weber stash but far from perfect, as there is a big rich spot that's causing the torque dip in the midrange that I minimized but could not get rid of. The F11 tube is to blame, I'm planning to alleviate that...

Attached File  260Z AFR.PNG   11.74KB   0 downloads

Once jetting was done, I played with timing. First using the ZX distributor and then the 123ignition tune-able unit. I optimized timing with the E12-80 before swapping to the 123. Interestingly enough, I didn't get any appreciable peak gains from the 123. I have a feeling that if I clean up the midrange fueling, the 123 may make more of a difference. All said and done, peak timing was 34 degrees.

Needless to say, I was very happy with the results and surprised that I could run at 11:1 compression with 34 degrees of advance on 91 octane! Guess I have the P90 to thank for that. :D When I originally build this motor, I was hoping for 200hp at the crank and I almost hit it at the wheels!

Attached File  Dyno Graph.PNG   192.61KB   2 downloads

The yellow line is with the mesh filters and the red line is without. Looks like those filters are worth about 6hp.

I'd like to do another dyno visit in a few months to address the mixture issue and play with cam timing, either with the stock sprocket or an adjustable one (which I'd have to source).

Very happy with this! Videos to come as Swami was the videographer for the day. ;)

#331 98blackbell

98blackbell

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationGa. Isle of Hope

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:40 AM

That's respectful! Close to your goal with a few more things to work on.

Now drive and enjoy! Well if you are like us your never totally satisfied.
Father to tooquick260, part time mechanic and co-driver.

Our build since 2012, never ending but soon to be a master piece.
http://forums.hybrid...echnotoytuning/

#332 madkaw

madkaw

HybridZ Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1799 posts
  • LocationBloomington, Indiana

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:40 AM

Nice numbers . I guess there's something true about that squish stuff :)
I plan on at least 11:1 on my build but will be using the mn47 . I can get 93 out here so sounds like I'm good . Making that power with 34 all in also confirms my research . Congrats
Steve,
9/71 240z. 2.4 -.40 over, balanced. E-88 Bigger SS valves, stage 2, 6x2 header, true dual exhaust. BW t-5 , STI LSD 3.90- Megasquirt 3 , N42 intake , 60mm TB , 270cc injectors

#333 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:18 AM

Thanks guys! Video is up. :D

#334 ryant67

ryant67

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Good results, I'd be very happy with similar numbers to yours - well done!!

#335 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Good results, I'd be very happy with similar numbers to yours - well done!!

Thanks Ryan, you should put it on the dyno and find out! Bring your jets... :)

#336 ryant67

ryant67

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Ryan, you should put it on the dyno and find out! Bring your jets... :)

In the Spring I hope.  Winter storage is looming large at the moment.  My biggest concern in dyno'ing the car is with finding a shop with someone familiar with Mikunis.  I know a bit, but having a tuner that understands the carbs and can make educated recommendations based upon prior experience would be ideal.  I might have to drive do to New England or Virginia to find that though.  

I will be interesting to compare numbers, since we should both be running the same camshaft, but with different heads, ignitions, carbs, and so on.  

#337 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

In the Spring I hope.  Winter storage is looming large at the moment.  My biggest concern in dyno'ing the car is with finding a shop with someone familiar with Mikunis.  I know a bit, but having a tuner that understands the carbs and can make educated recommendations based upon prior experience would be ideal.  I might have to drive do to New England or Virginia to find that though.  

I will be interesting to compare numbers, since we should both be running the same camshaft, but with different heads, ignitions, carbs, and so on.  

Gotcha. I'm not familiar enough with Mikunis but maybe you can find someone that does remote tunes, i.e. rent a dyno and have the tuner on-call via phone/email as you tune. You can email graphs and they recommend changes. I did this for a few customers when I was the tuner at Works.

It would definitely be interesting to compare, although unfortunately comparing numbers on different dynos is pretty much useless. I've seen as much as 50hp swings between dynos with the same car. Looks like you'll have to make a trip out to Northern California! :D

#338 Leon

Leon

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2316 posts
  • LocationSan Bruno, CA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

It's been a while and there's actually not too much to report which is a good thing! I drive the Z once every week or two. However, there are a few annoying things to take care of:

Rev-hang when shifting and blipping the throttle. This does not seem to be a linkage problem but a fueling or vacuum leak issue. The car idles well but sometimes hangs at 3k RPM before dropping. The bigger issue is that there just needs to be more fine-tuning done with the idle/transition circuit. I get pops out the carbs during highway cruise once in a while and have a tip-in stumble. Looking forward to sticking in Keith Franck's jets once I have some more time to tune.

I also feel the engine leaning out at high RPM even though the dyno showed good AFR at high RPM. This indicates a weak fuel pump (O'Reilly-special thumper) which I'm looking to upgrade.

Otherwise, I've still got the 3.9 CLSD waiting to go in whenever I get to it. That should wake the car up quite a bit although I do enjoy the long gearing of the 3.54 for cruising. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users