I apologize to all of you who have tried to find a build thread by me earlier. I thought I had one going that was neglected and I guess it was on another forum. So this is going to start off with the basic overview and then I'll add in more of the finer details that I can along the way and some eye candy.
This car was my dad's in the early 80's when he was stationed in Japan. It stayed in the family until the late 90's when it was sold to a friend of mine who didn't drive it much. This friend sold it to me for $850 and I drove it from his place in Oregon all the way to my home in Arkansas with no problems (minus the existing A/C charge). At this time (fall 2006) it was a somewhat neglected original that was starting to show some age on the paint with about 100,000 km on the clock. I was going to do a SR20 swap initially on a 2000 roadster I had but decided that the ZX would be a more fun daily driver to play with. I may have been wrong about the fun part on that call later but it's still a blast.
I sold the L28, ECU and tranny to a guy from Fayettevill AR for a good price and think he put it in a 240Z of his. The SR I got crated to my house with the tranny and about 70k km on it for $1700. It still needed a new water pump, engine wire harness (they cut it, idiots!) ignitor, ECU and MAF. The good news was that the engine and tranny were in great shape. I worked over about 2 months on weekends and some week nights to get the engine and tranny in the car. The only issue on initial start was that it would only run a few seconds before shutting down. We found out that the MAF was not the correct one and after a good part change it has worked ever since. The SR has had ARP head studs and rocker stoppers added. I'm running unorthodox pulleys and no power steering since my body didn't ever have it. I also have a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch. Otherwise the SR20 engine, turbo and tranny etc are stock. I had a portable dyno back in the day showing just under 240 whp and 270 ft/lb. That's before I had the exhaust redone with 3" mandrel SS and high flow CAT/muffler.
This car gets me about 29-30 mpg on the highway now and is a blast to drive (3.7 gears and 255/40/17 tires, GPS verified). I've had the swap in the car since fall 2007 and have been racing a the local SCCA course as much as I can around work since 2010. So far only one HPDE at Hallet. I've had no real significant issues but a handful of smaller ones. I'll cover those as the story goes along. I'll also try to keep this in order as I add in the details.
I swapped out the rear diff internals with a KAAZ 1.5 way LSD for a 240sx with an open carrier. I also purchased a set of turbo ZX flanges and CV's.
I installed an aluminum radiator and T-Bird electric fan. Still working on the sticky solenoid driving the high speed fan setting, but the low is still more than enough.
I installed a set of Tokico HP struts/springs all around.
I installed a new Polyurethane bushing kit all around.
Installed a custom A/C line kit for the SR swap and retrofitted to R-134 (discovered that custom hoses had the high/low ports on wrong hoses w/o losing hands)
Purchased a set of 17x9 front Rota RBR and 17x9.5 rears. Also purchased a set of 17x9 and a set of Hankook DOT-R slicks for racing on.
Replaced the stock stereo system and speakers, installed Excelon deck, Soundstream amp and Sony sub....sounds great.
Had a shop tint the whole car.
Installed a set of Corbeau racing seats on both fronts. Modded the driver sliding bracket to sit lower and lean back more...still have to do the passenger (left) side.
Installed an oil cooler and had the used hose that wasn't the right size blow out when racing at Hallet. Fixed that problem and haven't had an issue since.