HybridZ

'73 4 Speed Stuck in Neutral

jacob80

Hey guys,

I have my '74 4 speed mated to my L28ET currently.

A couple weeks ago, I was heading up a hill and went to shift to second. I was locked out. I couldn't get the car into gear and slowed to almost a complete stop. Right before I stopped, I was able to shove it into gear, but then it wouldn't go back in when I tried to shift, again.

I pulled the center console and checked everything out, and it looks good. I will say the MSA short shifter mounting brackets were very loose, but after tightening them and trying again, I'm still stuck in neutral!

I base my claim that I'm in neutral on the fact that the motor will run without lurching, and I was towed all the way back home with the motor running. My clutch has a very short throw, but it feels just as it has.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, everyone!

• 2 months later...

Crap, forgot I posted this. Not sure how the clutch fluid would keep the transmission in neutral? The motor idles, but the transmission won't go into gear. I've never had this issue with this car up until now. It may or may not be important to note that it was pretty cold when this happened. First time since last Fall it had been on the street, too.

The shifter is stuck in the neutral position - not sure how else to describe it. I can't even move it side-to-side, front to back, anything like that. I mean, it moves a LITTLE bit with some force, but I'm definitely forcing things if I do try to move the shifter.

Edited by jacob80