HybridZ

L28ET running MS3/MS3X

winstonusmc

• 2 months later...

I would have PM'ed you but thought this pertained to your thread and that others might find it to be useful information.

1. How do you feel about the Ford coils now that you've been running them for a while?

(I'm buying my MS3X VERY soon, and just trying to figure out if I should use the stock coil for now or just convert to COP right away)

2. How's the tune coming along? Have you noticed any big changes you've had to make?

3. This might have been mentioned before, but what octane are you tuned on? I know even if you're running CA pump 91 that's not identical to pump 91 in most states, but lucky me I'm in CA too. :wink:

4. Now that you've had some time with it all, is there anything you'd have done differently?

I like the ford coils, they are cheap and available everywhere. Although you still need to run some typ of igniter though, Ithink its worth it over the unclean install of some other coils. Performance coils are available everwhere for ford coils too.

the biggest thing Ihad to do was noise filtering. Ihavent changed my tune recently because Ihave been driving it more than looking at a computer screen. Istill need to mess with the warmup, it still runs a little rough when cold.

Yeah Ihave it tuned to 91 right now. Havent messed too much with the timing. Iam sure its a little off and more power could come from some timing adjustments. My local station does sell E85 though........

Idont really think Iwould have done anything differently from the beginning, but Iam going to gange some thing around soon with inputs and the way Iwant to control the idle up

All good to know! I knew about the ignitor requirement for the Ford coils, and was actually looking at the 300ZX unit, that I believe is the same one as the RB25 that I think you used, correct? I can find them all day long on ebay for under $30, some even with wiring clips! Not bad, and over the counter availability is nice too.

Also, have you had any issues with your trigger wheel from DIY? I posted a thread on the MS forums and have been recommended to just go straight to a crank trigger and run wasted spark until I get a "real" cam sensor made.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever add an idle valve? If so, which one did you use?

I ended up going with Haltech instead, my warm idle is great, but that first start in the morning is a tad low. I picked up a basic two wire IAC on ebay to help with the cold idle, curious how other people are dealing with cold idles. 

Not yet, the car has been down for a while in leu of a suspension rebuild. I have been reading on using Volkswagen IACV valves. I have just been living with a low idle till warmup

Yea, the one i grabbed was a 90's era Jetta IACV. I've been trying to find examples of others using the same or similar valves on the L28ET with no luck so far.

• 1 month later...

Installed the boost solenoid onto my car today. It was pretty straight forward and reminded me of the solenoid used on the ProfecB that I had on my Skyline in Oki. Setup was pretyy simple and was covered on the DIYautotune website. I went the extra step and wired in a 2 pin plug to give it the finished look. I started out at 0% duty and increased by 10%, logging each run. The boost increased logarithmically until I stopped at 55%, where the boost settled in at 12.8psi. I need to tune the fuel and spark to make it a little safer at those boost levels. Seemed pretty responsive and smooth though. The injector duty cycle is getting towards 60% at 10.5afr at 12psi. I would say getting it up to 11.5afr would be better and let me know what the HP is at this boost level and duty cycle. Looking more towards 260-270hp now. now for some pictures. Attached is my tune for those who want to take a peak.

L28et_boost_12psi.zip

boostsettings_zps67c79dc7.jpg

boostperdutyL28_zpse34e9156.jpg

50percentlog_zpsb3d1afa2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I installed a z32 MAF last night. I have been wanting to use MAF for a while and I wired the sensor up when I originally built the harness. All I did last night is put it in and enable it in the programming but not enable MAF fueling. I just needed to make sure it works. I need to fashion a boost leak checker so I can make sure there is no leaks before I start tuning it.

I am going to use MAF/MAP load as this is what Nissan uses on most of the ECUs out there. It just uses expected airflow (rpm) devided by actual airflow to calculate load. Its kinda measuring efficiency in the airflow.

IMG_20131024_191911_168_zps0c24948f.jpg

• 2 months later...

went through a good deal of MAF tuning with a registered version of Mega Log View to give me pretty spiffy scatter plots to help in tuning. I created an excel spreadsheet to help in changes in the MAF curve.

I used this thread on the MSExtra forum to help me out:

http://msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=49504

I drove around today for about 45 minutes today to make a pretty good scatter plot. I am within 3% of AFR on the lower RPM and 2% up top. The car drives way better than it did with MAP and the part throttle cruising is like a factory car. Here is my MAF MSQ and the spiffy scatter plot from today showing my error %.

post-29313-0-65439300-1388811250_thumb.png

Maf n62 f.zip

Oh, for those that used my map for their base map, my timing was way too agressive, i took almost 6 degrees out in the upper portion due to some pinging.

Edited by winstonusmc

• 4 weeks later...

I installed Maxima gauges in my car to get a working tach and an electronic speedo. Last night I messed around with MPG gauge and made sure the VSS settings were spot on. Now just need to get it working on Shadow Dash.

IMG_20140124_214416_227_zpsbda4b14d.jpg

I couldn't find a definitive answer when I was rewiring my car but FYI for anyone stumbling upon this the toyota tach relay mod works fine with our stock tachometers.

The tach and speedo have been working good for about a week now. I setup the gear ratios so I can limit the boost in first gear. I run no boost controlling in first and full 14psi in 2-5. I have also messed with the MPG and some HP measurement, but just quick around the block kinda stuff. In-town MPG seems to be 16-20 MPG and havent taken it on the highway yet since I live deep within San Diego. My motor is leaning more towards a rebuild everyday and has become a smoker. So at startup, I have to wait till the plugs burn off the oil to really start beating on it. Attached is the quick datalog with VSS1 enabled with gears and power. It was a little erroneous due to going downhill but its cool to look at.

2014-02-02_19.59.36.zip

• 6 months later...

I see you are located in San Diego. I could drop in and see your setup in the evening time. I wired my Setup about a year and a half ago so its a little foggy. I wired up the high res side (12-1) side goes to pin 24 of the V3 board with a pullup installed on the project area. The low res is wired into pin 32 (cam_in) of the MS3X with the pullup installed on JP7. I know the low res and high res are backwards on the DIY trigger wheel, but it outlines on the install instructions on their website. I would have to look, but I am pretty sure I used a 330ohm resistor from 5v on the pullup on the V3 board, but that was done over 3 years ago when I installed it on my RB26 back in Japan. Currently my setup is disassembled waiting on the new engine to get installed, back to an RB25 w/ ITBs. PM me if you want me to take a look at your setup.

• 5 weeks later...