HybridZ

XDI whats optimal tune settings?

AZGhost623

I know that question is fairly loaded, and im sure to get "depends"  Its a stock cam in a P90/F54 setup, 10:1 compression, and 89mm pistons. Carbs are weber 45's. Where do you guys set your timing at? Based on things I have read, this is what I have started with. About 13ish on the initial (I have read some put it up to 15), and 20 on the 3000.

Also, I read in the manual you can read the timing off this unit, but havent figured it out yet. I hooked up the ohm meter onto those holes, and I dont get anything, just all zeros. What setting should the ohm meter be on? And you read it off the copper holes right?

Im sure the crazy miss was due to it not being tuned right too on the rev...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUB7nHij6xE

post-35613-0-77289200-1361067522_thumb.png

Edited by AZGhost623

Look at Post #30 here, BRAAP has some thoughts on timing that might help - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/95316-braaps-l6-efi-induction-advice-and-tips/page-2

And, from your picture, it looks like you should measure voltage not resistance, then divide by .01 to calculate degrees of advance.  It says 0.01 Volts per degree right on the front panel.

Actually, that's something I did find in my early searching as to where to set the timing. I decided to err on the lower side just incase of going to high and causing detonation. I read that carbs need a lot more advance than the EFI timing, so I started out with 13ish, and Ill go up to 15, adding 20 degrees onto that at 3000 rpms gives you the 35 degress that Braap talks about in the article you mention. Since these setups are way more powerful than the dizy, I was hoping to get more of some advice as to how/where a good setting would be on the XDI and to go from there.

It definately does NOT smell gassy at all with 92 pump gas. Actually it kind of smells like tuna.. Is that lean? LOL. I assume an O2 sensor will help with the tune as well, I plan to get that hooked up next. Along with figuring out the TAC. Ultimately Ill get it over to a dyno shop, but I would like to get it close as possible.

Before you get into tuning it,  confirm that what the XDI thinks the timing is, is the actual timing. You'll have to get the voltmeter going, and also check the timing with a timing light. Then you'll have to factor in any offset between the 2 in all future timing calculations. You'll have an offset if your crank sensor or your trigger wheel is not exactly where it should be. It's easy to be half a tooth off, and that would be 3 degrees offset right there.

Edited by bradyzq