HybridZ

Wfritts LS1 Dyno/Track results

So this past weekend we had a dyno day here in NW Arkansas so I had a chance to get my Z on the dyno and do a little tuning. My setup consists of a 98 LS1/T56 with 799 milled .035 for around 11.5:1 compression. My own custom built longtube headers. Stock LS1 intake, stock cam. Tune that could still use a bit of polishing up, but its decent. Anyways on to the results/pics/videos.

Dyno'd saturday morning on a Dynojet. For comparison a 98 Camaro with nothing but headers and a slight tune put down 330/341 torque. Anyways my final results after 4 pulls and a couple tune tweaks were  348rwhp@~5500rpm and 370rwtq@~4500rpm. Tune could still use some tweaking, tried to do some more logging at the track, my launch/1-2 shift were shorting something out or causing my buddies laptop to stop logging, so I was only able to get one log when I just rolled up to 3rd and 4th gear.

post-27433-0-90509900-1361226241_thumb.jpg

And on to the track results. My best time of the day ended up being and the video is of that pass:

60ft: 2.0217

330ft: 5.3256

1/8 ET: 7.9681

1/8 MPH: 93.91

1000 ET: 10.2482

1000 MPH: 108.04

1/4 ET: 12.1520

1/4 MPH: 118.33

That poor fox body never stood a chance lol.

This is the second time I've gone to the track on the same axles, normally I break them on a daily basis, but the one thats in there now must be made of unubtanium or something! I was shifting hard the last few passes as well, almost WOT shifting 3rd and 4th, launching pretty decent, and was getting lots of wheel hop, and it kept on going.

If my local track back home was a 1/4 mile instead of 1000ft I know it would do 11s without changing a thing, I pulled a 10.06 in the 1000ft at my local track, and my MPH is up 2+ from that 10.06 pass.

-Will

• Like 1

is the link to the dyno video. My buddy Mat(FlatBlack) used his gopro and got a really cool angle for the dyno videos.

No problem CrayZ, I know when I was starting my LS1 swap I looked for track results for LS1 swap Z's a lot, and there wasn't a whole bunch for stock style cars.

-Will

Haha I only tell people I don't like that my car is pretty much stock with bolt ons lol. Told a guy I raced in a SRT10 truck a while back that it was pretty much stock with the 2.8L straight six. He was rudely awakened when I was coming back on him hard on the back end lol.

The dyno video showing bolt-ons wasn't my doing. He also called my heads "decked", I told him "decked" was an extreme understatement lol.

My buddy has EFI Live and I have a 98 Motor/wiring/PCM which works nicely cause EFI Live can tune unlimited 98 models without credits(Read: tuning for beer). My buddy with a 260Z thats L28 Turbo is running megasquirt. The guy I bought my car from also had the L28 turbo running megasquirt, now he has a 240sx thats KA24 turbo'd running megasquirt. They both really like it, but for the LSx engines the stock PCM's can be tuned to do almost whatever you want so the extra work to go to megasquirt isn't really worth it. If the stock PCM wasn't as capable I would go Megasquirt in a heartbeat though.

-Will

I was merely saying this because by the time you wrap up money in a harness, PCM, pay for credits, and pay someone to tune it, you'd be money ahead by building your own harness and tuning it yourself. If I had done more research, I would have done this. It eliminates the need for an expensive 2 step box (which i bought) and also would allow me to eliminate several wires from the harness, which would help clean up the under-hood.

Which is where i'd like to be in the future, regardless of tuning software.

Hmm interesting points, also the megasquirt can incorporate a GM flex fuel sensor to read for ethanol content(E85) which I have been considering switching too. Sure would be nice to have it account for E85 or gasoline when I cant find E85. A built in two step and E85 switching sure would be nice. Damn, now I'm gonna have to spend all my free time researching megasquirt instead of doing homework lol.

-Will

All you need is slicks and more axles in your spares box.  After the autocross trip to you in April or May, you need to plan a drag race weekend with me here in Alabama once school lets out and I'll let you try some sticky tires.  My goal is to race 4 different dragstrips in 4 consecutive nights.  Start collecting axles now.  Thanks for posting the dyno graph-explains why my 60' drops from 1.5 yo 1.6 when I turn the 2-step up from 2500 to 3500.  BTW-what type of engineering are you studying?  I was just thinking of what an asset you would be to a company like Factory Five Racing.  And, where's my darn beef jerky-you good for nothing no-account?

I am totally game for 4 drag strips in 4 nights. But what dragstrip races on a thursday or monday? Finding ones that race on friday, sat, and sunday should be hard. I'll start collecting axles now or finish my axle swap before then. My Aunt/Uncle live on some lake in Alabama and my family has always gone down there for a long weekend each summer, I've missed out on the last 2 or 3 trips cause of work/living with my brother in Virginia so maybe I can make it down there and we can mix our dragstrip runs in with that, I love a good road trip

Also the dyno graph is accurate at 2500 or even 3000. I didn't get on it til right after 3000. Pretty much when the torque curve goes horizontal is when I was WOT. But the LS motors really seem to wake up around 3000 anyways.

I'm going for Mechanical Engineering(Makes sense right?). I would love to get into the automotive field after college, but dunno how realistic that is. In truth college is kind of my back up plan, I really want to start a performance/offroad shop with my brother and start fabbing parts as well as doing repairs/mods on peoples vehicles. My brother has a '90 Ford Bronco that we 3.9 Cummins Turbo diesel swapped, 1 ton axles front and rear, 3 link front end with coil overs with a massive 16 inches of travel, etc. Almost all custom built other than some random brackets that were easier to buy cause we didn't have a drill press and hand drilling 1/4 plate is how you get broken wrists lol. I built my brothers Dana 60 in his apartment living room while I was staying in Virginia Beach with him for the summer. Its not done yet but we've drove it down the rode a few times.

post-27433-0-20958800-1361566299_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-68472300-1361566314_thumb.jpg

It's a big work in progress still, but should be pretty wicked once it gets finished.

And I'll get your beef jerky next time I go home, I should have got it when I went home to build my exhaust, but I was too busy as it took a lot longer than it should have to make a Y pipe and run it out the back. Promise I didn't just con you into giving me a free catch can ;) my dad does actually work for jack links.

-Will

Nice, I am totally game for that. We can have our own Z Car Power Tour. It's too bad they are all 1/8th mile tracks. If we can make that happen right after I get out of school for the summer it will be perfect, cause then when I start working I won't have to try and ask off. Need to round up some other Z guys to meet up with.

-Will